Home & Garden

Shady Contractor: Concrete, Shed pad, patio, driveway, landscaping, snow removal

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2022 11:03 am
Jul 12, 2017
5 posts
I agree with you, but most people don't have friends that know trades that can be relied on.
What really bothers me as that Kijiji allows these crooks to keep operating after having received complaints of fraud.
Why doesn't kijiji have a rating system like Ebay and Amazon ? These guys would not be in business.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1202 posts
263 upvotes
OTTAWA
DoorCrasher wrote: Also make sure contractor is licensed. And, pay the god damn taxes. Everyone want to save $$$ but make sure you have an official contract, with an official invoice. Unfortunately, no one is safe for being ripped off by a contractor who closes his doors... even from the best reviewed contractors
I had very bad experience with contractors:

1) I hired a contractor from KIJIJI to repair retaining wall in my parking lot. He removed the rocks from the retaining wall and put them on the parking lot entrance. He asked for more money.

2) As I was burnt, this time I hired a big company to build a fence for me. Contract with drawings was signed. They sub-contracted the job. The sub-contractor tried to cheat digging 3 feet to the ground for fence post instead of 4 feet. He subsequently disappeared.

3) Last year I hired a company to do kitchen cabinets. I noticed there was a 1/4 inch gap between the kicking board and the floor cabinets. I complained, the company owner told me not to expect everything perfect.

Those contractors do not care about home owners as they may deal with them once and never meet again.
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
Rockymountain wrote: I had very bad experience with contractors:

1) I hired a contractor from KIJIJI to repair retaining wall in my parking lot. He removed the rocks from the retaining wall and put them on the parking lot entrance. He asked for more money.

2) As I was burnt, this time I hired a big company to build a fence for me. Contract with drawings was signed. They sub-contracted the job. The sub-contractor tried to cheat digging 3 feet to the ground for fence post instead of 4 feet. He subsequently disappeared.

3) Last year I hired a company to do kitchen cabinets. I noticed there was a 1/4 inch gap between the kicking board and the floor cabinets. I complained, the company owner told me not to expect everything perfect.

Those contractors do not care about home owners as they may deal with them once and never meet again.
for your case #2 and #3 you have all the proofs needed to take any action against those bad guys...

Once I made business a pool company to change my pool tarp. the pool company subcontracted without noticing me. Sub contractor went away with my money. I had all the proofs, and been refunded because I HAD A CONTRACT, and I HAD AN INVOICE
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1568 posts
1092 upvotes
Longueuil
ml8203 wrote: I agree with you, but most people don't have friends that know trades that can be relied on.
What really bothers me as that Kijiji allows these crooks to keep operating after having received complaints of fraud.
Why doesn't kijiji have a rating system like Ebay and Amazon ? These guys would not be in business.
They added a rating system to kijiji. I am not sure how it works exactly however. I received a positive feedback from a buyer and I tried to give him a positive feedback but I could not see the button in my account (help says it is on the top of the message page, it wasn't there, I had more than 7 messages with that guy).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Jul 30, 2020
5 posts
17 upvotes
I just got scammed by this same guy, calls himself Carlos Kuhna, which is obviously a fake name, drives a bmw covertible and a hyundai elantra. I hired him based on his lowest price to do my backyard concrete slab and shed, paid him $1000 deposit to start, removed 200 sq ft of my top grass, and never showed up again. Doesn't return calls or texts at all. I feel duped, and embarrassed. I'm on board to take this guy down. Here's his current ad on kijiji (uses the same phone # 647-710-4556)...

Pads 4 Le$$>>>>>>Call Now & Place your order
Shed Pads starting at $999
#justbookitnow 647 710 4556
Serving the 905 & GTA since 2008
Concrete Patios.... Backyard Pads
No job is too big or too small
Extension and Complete Landscape
Hardscape.....Pads 4 Le$$
Stamp Available in color
Stain or Gloss
Extension driveway
Shed Pad Foundation
Complete Concrete Reno
Backyard Patios & Basketball Court
Etobicoke, Toronto, ON, Canada
ad reads from David Valencia (another bogus name)
[OP]
Jun 27, 2010
15 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
I'm sorry to hear what Steve did to you. $1000 is a lot of money. He continues to operate this scam and it's obviously a big joke for him. Not for us, we will go after him. I just sent you and the 5+ others in this same boat some info on the case and action we will be taking against Steve. It's a matter of time before he gets burned. We have a detective on this now. The good news is because we can show it's not just a one off case we have a much stronger case to go after Steve. Please check your inbox for details. THIS IS NO JOKE, Steve will soon realize.
[OP]
Jun 27, 2010
15 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
Took some time but I was informed by the Detective that Steve was arrested and charged on Oct 30th. Likely he'll be back at it again so BEWARE and stay vigilant.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8042 posts
6580 upvotes
Ottawa
It's hard to find a good contractor and really good, responsible and reliable ones rarely come cheap. Plus, they are usually too busy to advertise, let alone on Kijiji. At least some are ethical and some may even be capable of doing the jobs they take but, sadly, not all. I've relied on word of mouth and BBB research and have never been cheated. Haven't always been happy but I've never been cheated.
Jul 30, 2020
5 posts
17 upvotes
Scammer Concrete Guy.jpg
Looks like "Steve" now known as Felix is back at his usual scams, but now doing junk removal, wonder who else he is scamming? I was able to catch up by doing a search on his phone # 647-710-4556

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-moving-storage/ ... 1544928280

Small / Medium Movers & Junk Removal 647-710-4556
Pick up truck , trailer 10' long and a man available to move boxes, appliances, machinery etc. Call or Text 647 710 4556
•Deliveries
•Local distance moving 250 KM radius
•Commercial moving
•Residential moving
•Dump

10 Four Seasons Pl, Etobicoke, ON M9B 6H7, Canada(View Map)
306 visits
Contact Felix

Buyer beware, this guy is a scammer!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7304 upvotes
Paris
JEDI Force wrote: They added a rating system to kijiji. I am not sure how it works exactly however. I received a positive feedback from a buyer and I tried to give him a positive feedback but I could not see the button in my account (help says it is on the top of the message page, it wasn't there, I had more than 7 messages with that guy).
I dont get that rating system at all. I have had the same experience as you. Crap shoot as to if I can rate the other party or not.
Sep 28, 2012
223 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
Never ever ever ever trust these persons: contractor, agent, salesman. They only care your money,
not your interest.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9461 posts
11234 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Dan1973 wrote: Scammer Concrete Guy.jpgLooks like "Steve" now known as Felix is back at his usual scams, but now doing junk removal, wonder who else he is scamming? I was able to catch up by doing a search on his phone # 647-710-4556

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-moving-storage/ ... 1544928280

Small / Medium Movers & Junk Removal 647-710-4556
Pick up truck , trailer 10' long and a man available to move boxes, appliances, machinery etc. Call or Text 647 710 4556
•Deliveries
•Local distance moving 250 KM radius
•Commercial moving
•Residential moving
•Dump

10 Four Seasons Pl, Etobicoke, ON M9B 6H7, Canada(View Map)
306 visits
Contact Felix

Buyer beware, this guy is a scammer!
Lol, the pics this scummer used are all stock photos of different brands of red pickups. If that isn’t a tip off..... I don’t know what is...

Where is this pic from California? That’s some awesome photoshop he did...
0E5B3640-BEDC-4AEB-A00E-05EF5C64E7A9.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5877 posts
5057 upvotes
Oakville, ON
647-710-4556 Googled his number and here's the first page results: this RFD thread! + a complaint on BBB and then several scam ads/posts with various names came up!!! BEWARE

Aware of Bad Contractors - RedFlagDeals.com Forumsforums.redflagdeals.com › aware-bad-contractors-2285...
May 17, 2019 · 20 posts · ‎11 authors
I want to know where else I can report him so that people can aware of this contractor / company. Concrete Shed & Patios 647-710-4556 text ...

SM Project Coordinators | Better Business Bureau® Profilewww.bbb.org › profile › property-maintenance › sm-pr...
Dan requested me to contact his partner Steve at 647-710-4556. After receiving an invoice from Steve, I paid the amount of $113 through e-transfer for snow ...

Summer Deal $999 shed pads 4 Le$$ #justbookit 647 710 4556www.kijiji.ca › ... › Services › Skilled Trades
Call and book now to save large for your shed pads 8x10 cash flat No HST #asap pls call directly 647 710 4556 Shed Pads Garage slabs Driveway Extension ...

Small / Medium Movers & Junk Removal 647-710-4556 ... - Kijijiwww.kijiji.ca › v-moving-storage › city-of-toronto › s...
Feb. 23, 2021 — ... machinery etc. Call or Text 647 710 4556 •Deliveries •Local distance moving 250 KM radius •Commercial moving •Residential moving •Dump.

@slabzgod Instagram posts, stories and followers - Gramho.comgramho.com › profile › slabzgod
#justbookit 647-710-4556 snow chaser & hardscaper. 51 Posts 122 Followers 232 Following Tagged Posts. Account rate. 2.01%. Shows the popularity of the

Emerald Landscape Snow Removal - About | Facebookwww.facebook.com › ... › About
CONTACT INFO. Call +1 647-710-4556. m.me/1848789872078546. categories. Business Service · PagesBusinessesLocal ServiceBusiness ServiceEmerald ...

#primeconcrete Instagram posts (photos and videos) - Picuki ...www.picuki.com › tag › primeconcrete
647 710 4556 #Residential #Vaughan #Ajax #Mississauga #Brampton #six #GTA #etobicoke Thank you. 3. 0. 6 months ago. Another day in the office.

SM Project Coordinators Reviews, Complaints, Customer ...www.revdex.com › reviews › sm-project-coordinators
Dan requested me to contact his partner Steve at 647-710-4556. After receiving an invoice from Steve, I paid the amount of $113 through e-transfer for snow ...

SDM-Hardscaping-Design in Ontario ON | YellowPages.ca™www.yellowpages.ca › search › Ontario+ON
647-710-4556. Website; Search nearby. Were you looking for: Landscape Contractors & Designers. << Rate these results. Related content. Types of patio ...
[OP]
Jun 27, 2010
15 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
I am very sorry for anyone that has gotten scammed by these low lifes. But since I started this discussion I think it may help to warn others about this. I also want to share that persistence pays off. If you get scammed, contact the police, file your report, find others that were also scammed by the same person (this helps a lot to build a case) and then keep following up. My case took just under a year, I got in touch with a few victims on this forum and together we had Steve arrested and today I received a full re-imbursement for the funds that were taken last year by Steve. There is justice, it just took a bit of time, patience, persistence and big help from everyone and the police to get this guy and get our money back. Thanks to everyone who joined in on the police report/investigation and to anyone else who finds themselves in this unfortunate situation, make sure to document everything, take a pic of the guy, his car, the contract, your text / email messages you exchange, etc..., write everything down and then try to find other victims and then all of you should contact the police fraud department - the rest will hopefully go your favor but it takes time. Most of these guys aren't very bright and will eventually meet the wrong person who won't take it...
[OP]
Jun 27, 2010
15 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
koffey wrote: I knew right away this was a kijiji contractor story. When will people learn. The massive volume of internet business and disappear on kijiji is insanely high. I only use kijiji for an actual item that I'm looking to buy. Excluding electronics.
The business is not even BBB accredited. Did you not do your own research before hiring? Appreciate you trying to help others but this is a scenario where you didn't do your homework. How did you come to conclusion to use/hire this business? Did you not get multiple quotes?

GL OP but you may or may not be out of your cash.

Thanks for the GL - I did fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3800 posts
3186 upvotes
Southern Ontario
This is a pretty old scam. My grandparents fell for the "Driveway Scam" a couple decades ago. They get you to agree to some service, cash up front - then that's the last time you see them again.

Guy pulls up with a cement truck and says he has "leftover cement enough for your driveway" for an amount of cash, upfront. Well, they did put a strip of sloppy 15 feet instead of the 150 ft circular driveway they have and hightailed it out of there. Crooks have been doing business for a long time.
[OP]
Jun 27, 2010
15 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
ml8203 wrote: I agree with you, but most people don't have friends that know trades that can be relied on.
Just being honest but Kijiji is completely useless, I reported Steve several times and several ads but as you can see his ads are still up to this day. Kijiji doesn't give a ...., contact your local police, document your evidence and gather at least a few who have been scammed by the same person, it takes time but it will work out and no there was no requirement to testify or go to court for any of this on the victims part. Just confirm the scam info to the police.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1725 posts
1045 upvotes
Deal2010 wrote: Just being honest but Kijiji is completely useless, I reported Steve several times and several ads but as you can see his ads are still up to this day. Kijiji doesn't give a ...., contact your local police, document your evidence and gather at least a few who have been scammed by the same person, it takes time but it will work out and no there was no requirement to testify or go to court for any of this on the victims part. Just confirm the scam info to the police.
Someone should take Kijiji to court for wilful negligence and enabling the crooks to operate despite complaints. I don't expect Kijiji to evaluate contractors, but if they receive credible complaints, they should act on them.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡