Wheels and Tires

Shaking car at speed - is this the cause?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2019 7:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13743 posts
3718 upvotes
Montréal

Shaking car at speed - is this the cause?

I suspect the cause is hitting a pothole at highway speed and maybe a/some chicklet/weight? fell off? Is this possible?

Basically, anything below 110kph, the car drives fine, but when I go above 110, I feel some shaking on the driver front side, where I hit the pothole. I dunno what else could be the cause and the result. I inspected the wheel+tire and it looks normal. Don't think the lug bolts are loose or else I should still feel something at lower speeds, right?

Just running by you guys to see if I missed something. Also, what's the logistics going to the tire shop, just have them test drive to duplicate or they take my word and take out the suspected wheel to test for balancing?

TIA.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3239 posts
18406 upvotes
Probably snow stuck inside your wheel which is throwing the car off. Hard breaking at high speed and heating up the rotors helps a little. You can go to a coin up and wash off the snow or just wait for it to melt on it’s own.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13743 posts
3718 upvotes
Montréal
markopas wrote: Probably snow stuck inside your wheel which is throwing the car off. Hard breaking at high speed and heating up the rotors helps a little. You can go to a coin up and wash off the snow or just wait for it to melt on it’s own.
I wish it was that simple, am due for a carwash but doubtful esp since I drove for 15 minutes on the highway and any residual snow should be gone and in any event isn't that heavy.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3834 posts
3928 upvotes
GTA
Yes, it's possible that hitting the pothole knocked the wheel out of balance. Whether that was by knocking a weight off, or bending the wheel itself.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13743 posts
3718 upvotes
Montréal
derass wrote: Yes, it's possible that hitting the pothole knocked the wheel out of balance. Whether that was by knocking a weight off, or bending the wheel itself.
How much would either situation cost? Should be quick to fix? Tx.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3239 posts
18406 upvotes
If it's just a rebalance than most likely 10-15 per wheel.

If it's a bent rim then you are looking at getting a new rim to replace the current one and then if the tire is no good then a new tire on top of that.

Try to look inside the wheel or take the wheel off and see if you can see any visible wheel weights, if there are none then it's a simple fix. A bent rim is pretty visible to see as will no longer have a perfect circumference and there is a possibility that you could lose air in that tire.

I had ice stuck on the inside of my wheel after a large snow storm (snow which had converted to ice) and had a vibrations as well, looked at the wheel and basically grabbed a propane torch to melt down the ice and was perfectly fine after that.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13743 posts
3718 upvotes
Montréal
markopas wrote: Probably snow stuck inside your wheel which is throwing the car off. Hard breaking at high speed and heating up the rotors helps a little. You can go to a coin up and wash off the snow or just wait for it to melt on it’s own.
Hey, tx again. Just washed the car and tested it on the hwy and it's back to normal...the ice wasn't even that much, incredible it made such a difference (but come to think of it, those chicklets definitely don't weigh much either). Didn't believe it but learned something today and saved some fees from going to the car shop. Cheers!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3239 posts
18406 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Hey, tx again. Just washed the car and tested it on the hwy and it's back to normal...the ice wasn't even that much, incredible it made such a difference (but come to think of it, those chicklets definitely don't weigh much either). Didn't believe it but learned something today and saved some fees from going to the car shop. Cheers!
It unbelievable how much a little snow on the inside of your wheel can cause so much ruckus :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13743 posts
3718 upvotes
Montréal
markopas wrote: It unbelievable how much a little snow on the inside of your wheel can cause so much ruckus :)
Ya, in hindsight makes sense since chicklets don't weigh that much either but when I looked at the wheel and saw that wimpy smattering of snow/ice, I was like "pffft, no way, I wish it was that simple"...and then it was... whew! :)