Shallow Well Pumps - Home & Cottage

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2019 3:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1320 posts
314 upvotes

Shallow Well Pumps - Home & Cottage

I have a question on folks who have a shallow well or lakefront cottage. I am looking at two different jet pumps (the suck type) I am NOT considering submersible pumps (the push type).

A typical jet pump system is something like this, where you have a pressure switch that comes on at 40 psi and shuts off the pump at 60 psi.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-h ... 26012.html

Has anyone used a continuous jet pump? In this design there is no pressure switch and no pressure tank. There is an electronic control system and the pump comes on after about a 5 psi pressure drop. The pump may come on a lot more, but you have a relatively constant pressure when water is required.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... p.html#srp

I am just curious if anyone has experience with both and can share that. I am considering the continuous, but still on the fence.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
VFDs can be troublesome and hard on the motor if not we'll designed, which I suspect this entry level unit isn't, but so can continuous cycling. There is another option if your main goal is constant pressure http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/hou ... ater-pumps

This is what I use at home and after the initial drawdown and repressurisation of the tank the pump stays on and the pressure remains constant for the duration of the demand.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
dirtmover wrote: VFDs can be troublesome and hard on the motor if not we'll designed, which I suspect this entry level unit isn't, but so can continuous cycling. There is another option if your main goal is constant pressure http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/hou ... ater-pumps

This is what I use at home and after the initial drawdown and repressurisation of the tank the pump stays on and the pressure remains constant for the duration of the demand.
What is the cost of the Cycle Stop Valve?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
VFDs work great on pumps to maintain a constant pressure, but you still need a pressure tank in your system to act as a buffer and stop the pump from short cycling when there is a short call for water.

The constant pressure valve is a good idea too. It's simply just a pressure reducing valve. There are many styles of them available.
Mar 17, 2008
807 posts
659 upvotes
Ontario
Realize this is an old thread, but this might be helpful to others.

I have two of the pump type that has an electronic flow sensor on the discharge rather than the older types that have a pressure switch. (I have had both types and have had problems with both!)

But first, the Canadian Tire shallow jet pump: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... gDeals.com

I bought one of these as a back up for my very similar Burcam pump. Both have plastic internal parts that can fail. After about 7 years, the internal Burcan venturi cracked. I then installed my spare (Mastercraft) pump while I waited for spares from Burcam. The Mastercraft pump worked OK, but just failed. I found that the internal plastic diffuser had cracked. So, I installed the now repaired Burcam pump so back in business, but no spare.

Now, I need a new diffuser for the Mastercraft pump. The manual has a parts diagram (it is part 11) . I contacted Canadian Tire who then directed me to Mastercraft service. They advised me that they have NO PARTS for their pump. Can you imagine - they sell a $349.95 pump and provide no replacement parts! The internal parts do fail from time to time and are simple to replace.

The Mastercraft and Burcam pumps are very similar, so my hope was that the Burcam part 510005 would fit the Mastercarft. I called Burcam, and they advised me that they had had many such inquiries. The parts are similar, but dimensions are different so cannot be used.

So, my Mastercraft pump is a throw-away. :(

Lesson learned - Do not buy anything from Canadian Tire that may need maintenance unless you know ahead of time that CT carries or can order spare parts. (I had similar experience with two other items)

PS: With the pressure switch type pumps with tank, if for any reason pump does not reach cut-off pressure or the pressure switch fails, the pump will just keep running. Most have plastic internal parts these days, and those will deform or melt when there is no flow and pump gets hot. Again, only buy a pump for which parts are available (not from CT!)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
freeagent wrote: PS: With the pressure switch type pumps with tank, if for any reason pump does not reach cut-off pressure or the pressure switch fails, the pump will just keep running. Most have plastic internal parts these days, and those will deform or melt when there is no flow and pump gets hot. Again, only buy a pump for which parts are available (not from CT!)
You can put a heat sensor on the pump to guard against that. If it senses the pump starting to get warm, it interrupts the start signal and shuts the pump down until the temp goes down
Mar 17, 2008
807 posts
659 upvotes
Ontario
schade wrote: You can put a heat sensor on the pump to guard against that. If it senses the pump starting to get warm, it interrupts the start signal and shuts the pump down until the temp goes down
That should be possible, but because it could be the pressure switch that is causing pump to keep running, you would need have to have another switch/relay that the temperature switch actuates to cut power off. I just don't see switches like this sold in the usual places. Do you know of a source for such a device?

I decided to repair the Mastercraft pump! I glued broken piece back into the hole with Crazy Glue. Then built up reinforcement about 3/16" thick over the hole on pressure side using JB-Weld epoxy. That area gets over 60psig pressure so the repair has to be strong! I put pump back in service for a week to check it out and it performed just fine. Now switched back to our similar Burcam pump and will keep the Mastercraft as an emergency spare.

Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
freeagent wrote: That should be possible, but because it could be the pressure switch that is causing pump to keep running, you would need have to have another switch/relay that the temperature switch actuates to cut power off. I just don't see switches like this sold in the usual places. Do you know of a source for such a device?
There's a few different temp sensors I've used. You don't need any extra relays. It's a NC switch so you'd install it so it's wired inline with the wires coming out of your pressure switch. That way if the pressure switch doesn't shut the pump down and the temperature switch sense it getting hot, then it will break the signal going through the wires and shut the pump down
Here's a cheaper option that has a preset temp trip setting. It just attaches to the side of a pipe or the pump

The other device i use more often has a dial that let's you set a trip and reset temp.
Mar 17, 2008
807 posts
659 upvotes
Ontario
I had seen this one. Doesn't look too professional. Costs $209. More than some pumps!

Your cheap option looks usable and setting suitable for domestic pump and cost reasonable. The second one requires low voltage supply, so presumably would need a separate controller and relays? More for commercial/industrial applications?

I haven't found a pump that will provide us with the pressure we get from the Burcam with Fluomac controller. 63psig at pump shut off and about 55psig while running. Has built in controls to prevent overheating (uses flow sensor). We found that pressure switch type with 30/50 or less just not adequate.