• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2020 12:37 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes

Share between iOS <> Android <> Windows

Hi all,

I've always used Android smartphones, and recently got an iPad. I find myself wanting to share tweets from my iPad to my Android device, and sometimes send a URL to my Windows PC.

How on earth is this achievable? I'm not talking about sending Gigabytes worth of photos/videos, I just want very small text (URL's, tweets, etc) to be pushed to a device of my choosing. I've looked at the app store, but some of the reviews and ratings aren't favorable.

So what are some of you cross-platform users using? I would need a wi-fi solution, as Bluetooth is not available on my PC.

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by fancypantsfloyd on Sep 29th, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes
Pushbullet seems like a good solution, but it looks like it's not available on iOS anymore.. Are there similar alternatives?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I use Hangouts

On your desktop, hangouts.google.com
I have it installed on my Pixel 4XL
I also have it installed on my iPad Pro

I like it because I can use it to SMS (via google voice) to any phone number. What ever I send appears on my desktop, iPad and Android phone.

No problem sending pictures, regular chats or voice recordings.

Not sure what you mean by tweets, but if you’re using Twitter, that is a whole different conversation
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes
Hangouts, interesting! I'm going to try that, thanks.

When I said twitter, I just meant that if I'm on my iPad and I found an interesting tweet, I want to share it to someone else who is using an Android device. Twitter was just an example, same thing would apply to photo, or a URL.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fancypantsfloyd wrote: Hangouts, interesting! I'm going to try that, thanks.

When I said twitter, I just meant that if I'm on my iPad and I found an interesting tweet, I want to share it to someone else who is using an Android device. Twitter was just an example, same thing would apply to photo, or a URL.
The iPad is amazing for that. You can’t do that easily on Android.

I constantly share screen shots, links etc. Just hit the share icon and you can select Hangouts and the user you want to share it with. It updates across your Hangouts account
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes
Awesome, seems like a good solution so far! I never thought to use a chat app to do this
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fancypantsfloyd wrote: Awesome, seems like a good solution so far! I never thought to use a chat app to do this
You can probably do this with WhatsApp or FaceBook Messenger. Whatever your preferred chat app is.

I like Hangouts because I can send SMS through it to anyone in Canada or US.
Last edited by Gee on Oct 1st, 2020 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes
Gee wrote: You can probably do this with WhatsApp or FaceBook Messenger. Whatever your preferred chat app is.

I like Hangouts because I can send SMS thought it to anyone in Canada or US.
Dumb question, but is there a way to get WhatsApp on a wifi iPad? I'm assuming you'd be using some interface of WhatsApp Web
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fancypantsfloyd wrote: Dumb question, but is there a way to get WhatsApp on a wifi iPad? I'm assuming you'd be using some interface of WhatsApp Web
Valid question.

You cannot share with a web interface. That’s out. You need the actual application.

I don’t use WhatsApp, but I believe that if you have an iPhone, and install it on the iPhone, it will be in your library and you should technically be able to install it on your iPad

You can probably install WhatsApp directly from the App Store on your iPad, but without an iPhone, I am not sure if you can verify your account.

This is my best guess since I don’t use anything FaceBook puts out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
I usually use Facebook messenger and send a message to myself if its just URL links.. youtube video or whatnot.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I'm starting to use Discord more for sharing links and videos. Only shitty thing is the small 10MB limit.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes
Not sure why I never considered a chatting app to achieve what I wanted :) Many thanks for all your suggestions!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)