• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2017 9:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54066 posts
18990 upvotes

Share your Winter Driving Tips and Skid Control Strategies

I know electronic stability control has kinda removed a few of the following concerns but I'd rather be armed with knowledge and be on the path to becoming the better than average driver. I do have winter tires on all our vehicles and my daily driver doesn't even have ABS. :(

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/01/2 ... -of-skids/

1. Wheelspin
2. Wheel Lockup
3. Understeer
4. Oversteer
5. Counterskid

Does 30 minutes of skid control school driving really cut it?

http://www.accentdrivingschool.com/courses/skid-school
This program is a one day course which consists of approximately 3 hours of classroom time, followed by in vehicle training.
The in-class portion of the course includes a power point presentation and videos. There will be 7 different topics covered and a printed booklet will be supplied to each participant covering all topics taught.

The practical part of the course involves using pylons and instruction on braking techniques for skid control, as well as defensive winter driving knowledge and driving demonstrations. The in-vehicle training will take 20 minutes per student, working with groups of three at a time.
Each participant must complete a quiz, and will need to achieve a 75% to pass and receive a Certificate.
The cost is $220.00 per participant plus the HST. Classroom facility, vehicles and parking lot to be provided by the client. (Price may vary if we arrange vehicles, parking lot) A minimum of 10 participants is required to hold a course.

Would love to see some links to some excellent youtube videos, blogs and articles so that we can be safer to ourselves and other motorists on the road.
31 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54066 posts
18990 upvotes
You only drive when heading to work? :)

We cannot survive Burlington/Oakville on public transit.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25044 posts
4241 upvotes
Your best bet is not to ever lose traction, rather than try to regain control afterwards. Don't brake on hills or while cornering. Be easy on the throttle while climbing or cornering. Drive according to the weather. If you're losing traction, slow down.

How to control a skid changes from vehicle to vehicle, so unless you have lots of practice in your specific vehicle, practice won't help you much. When I owned a Sunfire, I could use my e-brake handle to help get the rear end around in order to stop my slide. In my truck, I need to use the throttle, not the brake to accomplish the same thing.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14063 posts
8485 upvotes
Toronto
When in doubt, power out.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21177 posts
10622 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Light af on the throttle.

Pretend brakes don't exist.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3095 posts
463 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
just buy a mercedes or similar and stop thinking like most people in GTA do.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Aug 5, 2015
60 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tips for Winter Driving:

- SLOW THE F*CK DOWN
- Get a set of snow tires
- Smooth is fast, fast is smooth (easy on the gas and brakes, anticipate red lights and slowing traffic ahead)
- Leave lots of space in front of you
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4092 posts
907 upvotes
practice on mario kart 64
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15118 posts
16095 upvotes
Oakville
cmackenzie93 wrote: Tips for Winter Driving:

- SLOW THE F*CK DOWN
- Get a set of snow tires
- Smooth is fast, fast is smooth (easy on the gas and brakes, anticipate red lights and slowing traffic ahead)
- Leave lots of space in front of you
+1
Also, practice in empty parking lots. Brake hard, try to steer while braking, explore the limits of your car, etc when the conditions are slick.
30 min isn't a lot for skid school, but better than nothing. BMW Trillium club has a skid school for $70 and it's the whole day.
nx6288 wrote: practice on mario kart 64
+1, but practice on a realistic simulator. It's not perfect, but you'll learn to counter steer, etc, which you can use to accelerate your real world learning.

BMW, Mercedes, and Audi often have free test drive events when they let you compare their car to competitors in a closed lot. It usually involves some emergency handling, hard stops, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6828 posts
5728 upvotes
North York
Haven't gone to the class myself, but after hearing from people who attended similar classes, it's just common sense. With just a little physics knowledge and "logic" thinking, you don't need the class. And certificate doesn't really reduce anything on your insurance premium.

They'd show you what winter tires do, how they differ from summer/all-season tires, fwd/rwd/awd/4wd, etc. and some situations where you are driving really fast, then hit a patch of slippery road, etc. The general consensus of the attendees was "why the f$#k would I be driving so fast if I know or I can feel the road condition is bad?".
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54066 posts
18990 upvotes
konsensei wrote: Haven't gone to the class myself, but after hearing from people who attended similar classes, it's just common sense. With just a little physics knowledge and "logic" thinking, you don't need the class. And certificate doesn't really reduce anything on your insurance premium.

They'd show you what winter tires do, how they differ from summer/all-season tires, fwd/rwd/awd/4wd, etc. and some situations where you are driving really fast, then hit a patch of slippery road, etc. The general consensus of the attendees was "why the f$#k would I be driving so fast if I know or I can feel the road condition is bad?".
There was one before on Bronte Road. I think they relocated. Maybe I can practice there at night? An 02 Civic is what I will be practicing on.
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote:
Also, practice in empty parking lots. Brake hard, try to steer while braking, explore the limits of your car, etc when the conditions are slick.
This. Too many people don't explore the limits of their car, and panic when they're in the heat of the moment. Whenever there's freezing rain or snowy conditions, I'll apply a decent amount of brake on my side street and on the main road if it's clear to get a sense of how my braking is affected.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15118 posts
16095 upvotes
Oakville
Yodums wrote: This. Too many people don't explore the limits of their car, and panic when they're in the heat of the moment. Whenever there's freezing rain or snowy conditions, I'll apply a decent amount of brake on my side street and on the main road if it's clear to get a sense of how my braking is affected.
Also, it's good to hit the brakes harder and earlier when coming to a stop (with nobody behind you) to help you gauge the grip levels. Same goes for goosing the throttle when there's no risk (wide empty road).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54066 posts
18990 upvotes
Any of you disable your electronic stability control during winter and what are your license plates so I can kind keep my distance? :)