Price:
$0.00
Savings:
100%
Expiry:
July 24, 2020
Retailer:
SharewareOnSale
KeepSolid VPN is offering a 6-month free promo today. It's a decent VPN with a good range of options, although few of its servers allow torrents. Don't know if I'd drop US$50 for their lifetime license, but a worthwhile free option for 6 months if you need backup or something temporary. They'll give you credentials for L2TP/IPSec, or an ovpn file to use with an existing Open VPN client, so you don't necessarily have to install any new software.
Last edited by Scote64 on Jul 24th, 2020 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
8 replies
Feb 19, 2020
286 posts
615 upvotes
Long shot, but anyone know how good they are for people living in China? In the market for a cheap VPN for my friend.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23177 posts
8202 upvotes
Thanks. Will check it out...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7253 posts
7766 upvotes
Vancouver
jimbob12341 wrote: I got it but how do I get it setup on my amazon fire stick? I would like it so I can switch back and forth from Netflix USA and Canada.
You have to put the unblocker DNS IP address in the DNS field of your network connection settings.

Most devices default to automatic DHCP-issued DNS addresses, but allow you to override the DNS addresses manually. On many devices the manual DNS fields are hidden under an Advanced option.

On other devices, you can't access the DNS settings at all (for example, the Chromecast or Roku devices). For those devices you have to take 2 steps to use the unblocking DNS:

1. Change your router (or other DHCP manager) to issue the unblocking DNS address when the device asks.

2. Block Google DNS addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in your router to prevent apps like Netflix from bypassing the DNS you specified and referring directly to Google DNS.

To accomplish 1, I find it easier to use a small PC app called dhcpsrv, which acts as DHCP manager for the network like your router, but it's easy to specify exactly which devices it responds to (by MAC address), and what DNS address you want to give them.

For 2, the easy way to block those Google DNS addresses is to create a static route that redirects them back to the router's own IP address. That makes them return an error status, which in turn causes the app trying to access Google DNS to fall back to the DHCP-provided address.
Nov 28, 2019
644 posts
287 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: You have to put the unblocker DNS IP address in the DNS field of your network connection settings.

Most devices default to automatic DHCP-issued DNS addresses, but allow you to override the DNS addresses manually. On many devices the manual DNS fields are hidden under an Advanced option.

On other devices, you can't access the DNS settings at all (for example, the Chromecast or Roku devices). For those devices you have to take 2 steps to use the unblocking DNS:

1. Change your router (or other DHCP manager) to issue the unblocking DNS address when the device asks.

2. Block Google DNS addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in your router to prevent apps like Netflix from bypassing the DNS you specified and referring directly to Google DNS.

To accomplish 1, I find it easier to use a small PC app called dhcpsrv, which acts as DHCP manager for the network like your router, but it's easy to specify exactly which devices it responds to (by MAC address), and what DNS address you want to give them.

For 2, the easy way to block those Google DNS addresses is to create a static route that redirects them back to the router's own IP address. That makes them return an error status, which in turn causes the app trying to access Google DNS to fall back to the DHCP-provided address.
Hmm so I have to update the dns on my firestick, can I make profiles or some 3rd party app as I would like to be able to switch between their and my internet companies on as like I said I would like to switch back and forth between netflix versions.
Nov 28, 2019
644 posts
287 upvotes
took a quick look, little bit more work then I was hoping so will have to wait till I have more time to play around with it.

It does state this
Make sure that in your Amazon Account you have 1-click US address.
Also, go to your Account on Amazon.com > Manage Your Content and Devices > Country Settings and set the country to United States.

So do I need to make an amazon.com account or am I adding this to amazon.ca. Is this how I switch between the profiles by switching amazon accounts?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)