Computers & Electronics

Sharp 55" 4K UHD HDR Led (LC-55LBU591C) discussion

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 3:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
429 posts
1027 upvotes
Montreal

Sharp 55" 4K UHD HDR Led (LC-55LBU591C) discussion

If any of you have this TV from the price error last week at Best Buy, do you have any flickering issues with dark greys?

Here's a YT test video, you should see it pretty easily if you do. I just want to know if anyone else has the problem. If not I'll get it replaced.



Price error thread :
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-bu ... 9-2199867/
Last edited by dazurn on Jun 21st, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
dazurn wrote: If any of you have this TV from the price error last week at Best Buy, do you have any flickering issues with dark greys?

Here's a YT video, you should see it pretty easily if you do. I just want to know if anyone else has the problem. If not I'll get it replaced.



Price error thread :
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-bu ... 9-2199867/
Yes. Mine flickers a little too.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
429 posts
1027 upvotes
Montreal
ID01 wrote: Yes. Mine flickers a little too.
I wonder if they all do that, I can sometimes notice it while watching movies. Thanks for testing it for me
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
dazurn wrote: I wonder if they all do that, I can sometimes notice it while watching movies. Thanks for testing it for me
A lot of low end and budget TV does that. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think you can afford to be picky about this deal gave the cost. It is literally a bargain bin TV. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is a quality high end TV.

Having said that I really don't see a problem with the TV. You might want to try different display mode. It might reduce the flickering.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
429 posts
1027 upvotes
Montreal
ID01 wrote: A lot of low end and budget TV does that. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think you can afford to be picky about this deal gave the cost. It is literally a bargain bin TV. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is a quality high end TV.

Having said that I really don't see a problem with the TV. You might want to try different display mode. It might reduce the flickering.
Well I have some RCA, Haier and Hisense TV's too and none of them have this issue so that's why I'm asking.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
7072 posts
2692 upvotes
Canada
ID01 wrote: A lot of low end and budget TV does that. I wouldn't worry about it.
Actually, I would worry about it. Flickering is hard on your eyes and they will fatigue faster. I had a flickering screen and while a quality monitor allows me to work up to 12 hours a day in front of it, I couldn't handle more than 2 so I returned it.

Some manufacturers release firmware to reduce/get rid of it. Calling customer service may be helpful. If not, I would suggest returning the unit. It's not worth it in the long run. Pay extra few hundred $$ and get something you enjoy. Plus once you start noticing flickering, it will never go away. Some people don't see it or not very bothered by it, while others can't stand it.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
dazz wrote: Actually, I would worry about it. Flickering is hard on your eyes and they will fatigue faster. I had a flickering screen and while a quality monitor allows me to work up to 12 hours a day in front of it, I couldn't handle more than 2 so I returned it.

Some manufacturers release firmware to reduce/get rid of it. Calling customer service may be helpful. If not, I would suggest returning the unit. It's not worth it in the long run. Pay extra few hundred $$ and get something you enjoy. Plus once you start noticing flickering, it will never go away. Some people don't see it or not very bothered by it, while others can't stand it.
Flickering and Flickering on still grey are very different. Generally, on moving images or non-solid color you don't see any flickering. So I don't see why anyone would make a big deal out of a cheap TV for that.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
429 posts
1027 upvotes
Montreal
ID01 wrote: Flickering and Flickering on still grey are very different. Generally, on moving images or non-solid color you don't see any flickering. So I don't see why anyone would make a big deal out of a cheap TV for that.
Yeah I don't really notice while watching TV or Movies. I wont be returning it cause it's seems to be happening to a lot of people.
Newbie
Aug 9, 2007
74 posts
52 upvotes
Gatineau, Québec
Hi guys, just want to share that I took a chance and exchange this tv for another's one of the same model since the demo in store doesn't flicker (I brought my usb key with the gray scale video to test) and the new one I have doesn't flicker... Big difference! So I think it's a bad batch or bad quality control from sharp/Hisense. I couldn't stand the flickering... I could see it even without gray scale. The new one also had the date of April 2018 on the box. It might not matter
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
429 posts
1027 upvotes
Montreal
Sp3kt3r wrote: Hi guys, just want to share that I took a chance and exchange this tv for another's one of the same model since the demo in store doesn't flicker (I brought my usb key with the gray scale video to test) and the new one I have doesn't flicker... Big difference! So I think it's a bad batch or bad quality control from sharp/Hisense. I couldn't stand the flickering... I could see it even without gray scale. The new one also had the date of April 2018 on the box. It might not matter
Thanks a lot, I'll probably take my chances and return it today. My 30 days ends in 2 days.

Cheers.
Jr. Member
Nov 25, 2012
136 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
It’s funny I was so pissed I missed out on this now I’m glad I did. We really annoy me to pack everything up for a refund
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
429 posts
1027 upvotes
Montreal
lolobutt wrote: It’s funny I was so pissed I missed out on this now I’m glad I did. We really annoy me to pack everything up for a refund
I would never return it for a refund, I would get 125$ back lol.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
429 posts
1027 upvotes
Montreal
Sp3kt3r wrote: Hi guys, just want to share that I took a chance and exchange this tv for another's one of the same model since the demo in store doesn't flicker (I brought my usb key with the gray scale video to test) and the new one I have doesn't flicker... Big difference! So I think it's a bad batch or bad quality control from sharp/Hisense. I couldn't stand the flickering... I could see it even without gray scale. The new one also had the date of April 2018 on the box. It might not matter
Well I returned it for and exchange tonight, problem solved! The new set is perfect!

The clerc at the service counter was VERY surprised at the price on that bill :) I don't think they had been informed of the price error.
Newbie
Aug 9, 2007
74 posts
52 upvotes
Gatineau, Québec
Same for me... the clerc couldn't believe it.

I love my new set, if it would have done the same flickering, I would still have keep it for the cost.
Now just trying to tweak/calibrate the image because I don't like the default color,
feel free to share your calibration settings :). I usualy never put VIVID but on this set it seems to produce the best contrast and black level. I did turn down the color because vivid is way too much.
I'm going to calibrate it with my calibration disc for better result.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
429 posts
1027 upvotes
Montreal
Sp3kt3r wrote: Same for me... the clerc couldn't believe it.

I love my new set, if it would have done the same flickering, I would still have keep it for the cost.
Now just trying to tweak/calibrate the image because I don't like the default color,
feel free to share your calibration settings :). I usualy never put VIVID but on this set it seems to produce the best contrast and black level. I did turn down the color because vivid is way too much.
I'm going to calibrate it with my calibration disc for better result.
Please share settings once you do :)
Jr. Member
Nov 29, 2009
147 posts
12 upvotes
I know this is a little bit late
The TV is on sale again in BB and thinking on buying it- just looking for advise
Is this a good buy for $500?
Newbie
Nov 13, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
There my settings (by order) :
30
45
55
0
50
+2

Image temp : normal

Sinon oui c'est un bon achat pour ce prix là, mais ça manque un peu d'options, je trouve. Par exemple, impossible de calibrer les couleurs primaires, ce que font beaucoup de téléviseurs récents.
Newbie
Nov 13, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
Oh, et si vous voulez éviter de payer 100$ US n'utilisez pas la connexion internet de la télévision!

Top