Computers & Electronics

Sharp GF-777 Vintage Ghetto Blaster - How much is it worth?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2022 8:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5819 upvotes

Sharp GF-777 Vintage Ghetto Blaster - How much is it worth?

I have a Sharp GF-777 vintage ghetto blaster that I have had since 1984. I bought it brand new back then for over $440 + tax. I see ebay.com is listing for $3,300. Curious as to what it is worth? I am not selling but would like to get an idea.

Mine is in mint condition (except for a small scratch at the top of the box due to moving). Otherwise, it is literally brand new condition.

http://wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sharp+GF-777

This ghetto blaster was actually used in the Run DMC video back then.

https://www.pinterest.se/pin/556687203914976282/
18 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have like maybe half a dozen old ghetto blasters I keep on some floating shelves in the media room for a retro wall.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5819 upvotes
lead wrote: I have like maybe half a dozen old ghetto blasters I keep on some floating shelves in the media room for a retro wall.
I did my research back then between this and the JVC. I picked this one for the large size and reviews. It weighs 27lbs (without batteries). It also has a record player connection as well as input for additional speaker I believe. It was one of the cream of the crop blasters back in the early 1980s. $440+ was a lot of money back then in 1982.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
search on ebay and check off the completed listings box then u can see what some have actually sold for vs some guy who post one for a stupid price.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
jmc111 wrote: I did my research back then between this and the JVC. I picked this one for the large size and reviews. It weighs 27lbs (without batteries). It also has a record player connection as well as input for additional speaker I believe. It was one of the cream of the crop blasters back in the early 1980s. $440+ was a lot of money back then in 1982.
Its a beauty

The funniest ghetto blaster was one that would open and the gate would fall down and there was the turn table inside. It never seemed practical Lol

Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5819 upvotes
lead wrote: Its a beauty

The funniest ghetto blaster was one that would open and the gate would fall down and there was the turn table inside. It never seemed practical Lol

I am sure that would look funny on top of someone shoulders playing. Unless it is sitting on a flat surface, the needle will just bounce around :)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2054 posts
4046 upvotes
jmc111 wrote:

Mine is in mint condition (except for a small scratch at the top of the box due to moving). Otherwise, it is literally brand new condition.

Mint condition means "new condition" without scratches. Unless the box & unit are in true mint condition I can't see it being worth much.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5819 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: search on ebay and check off the completed listings box then u can see what some have actually sold for vs some guy who post one for a stupid price.
I am sure the value will increase as the years go by. I cannot believe the model is now over 40 years old (came out in 1981). They definitely do not make them like they use to. This is no doubt one solid piece of electronics and it is damn heavy to begin with. It takes a bunch of D batteries so that would make it easily over 30lbs. Other than a small scratch on top of the unit due to moving, mine is mint (fully functioning and clean).
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
It is worth what people are willing to pay for it as it is strictly a nostalgia item.

I had a JVC portable stereo with remote that was over 20 years old that was not being used for years although it worked perfectly. I saw people asking anywhere between $200 and up and those listings were sitting there for MONTHS. I eventually found a shop out of town that purchased equipment and the owner listened to it, liked it and gave me $80 for it. I figure $80 is better than nothing and the hassle of advertising it, demoing it for various people in the era of Covid.

Your Sharp has a line in. Why not get an AptX Bluetooth adapter for about $20 and stream music from your favourite music source? You will get the nostalgia factor as well as get some decent sound. I got this adaptor for a set of Logitech wired speakers I had and it works great.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2054 posts
4046 upvotes
6060842 wrote: Mint condition means "new condition" without scratches. Unless the box & unit are in true mint condition I can't see it being worth much.
Maybe I'm wrong. Looking at sold listings on Ebay looks like they've sold around $1500 in Latvia recently.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5819 upvotes
hightech wrote: It is worth what people are willing to pay for it as it is strictly a nostalgia item.

I had a JVC portable stereo with remote that was over 20 years old that was not being used for years although it worked perfectly. I saw people asking anywhere between $200 and up and those listings were sitting there for MONTHS. I eventually found a shop out of town that purchased equipment and the owner listened to it, liked it and gave me $80 for it. I figure $80 is better than nothing and the hassle of advertising it, demoing it for various people in the era of Covid.

Your Sharp has a line in. Why not get an AptX Bluetooth adapter for about $20 and stream music from your favourite music source? You will get the nostalgia factor as well as get some decent sound. I got this adaptor for a set of Logitech wired speakers I had and it works great.
I used this unit maybe 20-30 times over the years. The reason for the small scratch on the top (surface scratch not dent) is due to moving a few times and I shrink wrapped to attempt to protect it. I have no plans to sell as it one of the few things I have from decades ago. I actually have a truly mint Milton Bradley Vectrex game system with 6-7 games and controller. Not a single scratch on that game system. I believe that came out in the early 1980s as well. I bought it from someone on the internet back in the 1990s for $15. Nice to hang on to a few things from the past.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5819 upvotes
6060842 wrote: Maybe I'm wrong. Looking at sold listings on Ebay looks like they've sold around $1500 in Latvia recently.
A surface scratch can be buffed out. All depends on who is interested and how much. I was just curious as to what it would go for since the pandemic, sportscards, etc have all skyrocketed in price. Other than the scratch, it is rare to find a system like this in this condition. I have always kept majority of my electronics in mint condition.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2054 posts
4046 upvotes
jmc111 wrote: A surface scratch can be buffed out. All depends on who is interested and how much. I was just curious as to what it would go for since the pandemic, sportscards, etc have all skyrocketed in price. Other than the scratch, it is rare to find a system like this in this condition. I have always kept majority of my electronics in mint condition.
Sure, someone may be willing to pay some money for it but a buffed out scratch is not "mint" condition just as a rounded corner in a sports card would not be considered mint.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
jmc111 wrote: I have a Sharp GF-777 vintage ghetto blaster that I have had since 1984. I bought it brand new back then for over $440 + tax. I see ebay.com is listing for $3,300. Curious as to what it is worth? I am not selling but would like to get an idea.

http://wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sharp+GF-777

This ghetto blaster was actually used in the Run DMC video back then.

https://www.pinterest.se/pin/556687203914976282/
if you were in the USA I see pawn stars in your future.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
6060842 wrote: Mint condition means "new condition" without scratches. Unless the box & unit are in true mint condition I can't see it being worth much.
they are very rare now and not too many could afford them then or would those things are huge. So not too practical to carry to the beach. They were basically the king kong of ghetto blasters in the day.

The price is kinda supply and demand vs perfect conditon.

Keep it,shine it up and showcase it in your wreckroom for nostalgia decor and sound! Put a light bar behind it.

Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
$15, unless you can find some idiot in Latvia to buy it for vintage nostalgia.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
EugW wrote: $15, unless you can find some idiot in Latvia to buy it for vintage nostalgia.
if were bidding I'll double it and!!..........

I'll throw in a mix tape!!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
jmc111 wrote: I have a Sharp GF-777 vintage ghetto blaster that I have had since 1984. I bought it brand new back then for over $440 + tax. I see ebay.com is listing for $3,300. Curious as to what it is worth? I am not selling but would like to get an idea.

What is the condition of the one on eBay, and what have completed auctions gone for on there? A current listing doesn't say much because anyone can price anything at whatever they want. If the market value is $2k and someone lists for $3k, you have no idea if it will actually sell for that much or if it's just someone asking way too much for what they have. Anyone can ask anything for something but it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it--i.e. there have to be actual sales/transactions that occurred to verify the value.

If completed ones in good condition are in the $3k range, you can probably expect that $3300ish number. If completed ones are much lower, well, expect much lower and closer to those accordingly (depending on the condition they were in of course).