Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shaw

$45/300mbps + $250 credits (2 years) Hot !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 3:15 pm
Tags:
Oct 17, 2010
838 posts
592 upvotes
Terrace
purplekush604 wrote: Hey guys
Current Shaw customer was offered the following

Basic TV and phone, internet 75, two pvr units, have 5 theme packs, $106 + tax no contact? Thoughts?
AndyZoooo wrote: Garbage deal
With 5 theme packs thats decent isnt it? But i would negotiate for internet 300 tho.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks everyone. Got the shaw 300 for 45+bill credit deal. Telus fibre is still over a year out as the area is brand new so great deal for now. I am going to miss my Telus 750/750 in my old home.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1163 posts
662 upvotes
Vancouver
Tried getting in contact with Shaw and the best they could offer me was keeping the $85/mo I'm paying now. How do you talk sense to these people? At this point, I'd rather just cancel and go with Telus or Novus but I am a little too lazy to have to reset up my whole entire home wifi setup.

Seriously even suggested cancelling my MOBILE PHONE PLAN because shaw offers the wifi stuff to save the money I was looking to save....
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1579 posts
1541 upvotes
ForbiddenX wrote: Tried getting in contact with Shaw and the best they could offer me was keeping the $85/mo I'm paying now. How do you talk sense to these people? At this point, I'd rather just cancel and go with Telus or Novus but I am a little too lazy to have to reset up my whole entire home wifi setup.

Seriously even suggested cancelling my MOBILE PHONE PLAN because shaw offers the wifi stuff to save the money I was looking to save....
Instead of typing up a rant, I would suggest to calculate if you're ahead by cancelling and migrating to Telus. Then you will have the leverage to actually cancel and potentially get offered a real retention plan.

If everyone who called retentions, didn't get this plan and actually cancelled, the offer in this thread would be considered a warm deal.
Last edited by sparkaction on Feb 19th, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
May 12, 2011
598 posts
1158 upvotes
Calgary
ForbiddenX wrote: Tried getting in contact with Shaw and the best they could offer me was keeping the $85/mo I'm paying now. How do you talk sense to these people? At this point, I'd rather just cancel and go with Telus or Novus but I am a little too lazy to have to reset up my whole entire home wifi setup.

Why do you need to reset your wifi setup? Just assign the same old SSID to your new router and set the same password as was before and thats it.

The mice wept, pricked themselves, but couldn't stop eating the cactus.
Feb 18, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
Looking to jump into this deal. Tried briefly through the online chat but no cooperation there. Looking for some info to move this forward. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 4, 2012
8345 posts
8885 upvotes
AmRando wrote:
-received an XB6 modem from Shaw self-install last week. Tested speeds so far in AB; 335Mbit down, 17Mbit up.
wolandca wrote: I just received dpc3848v modem. Is it good or i should ask for something better?
which is the best modem? Hilton, XB6 or dpc? Thx
Last edited by muffin4life on Feb 19th, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 31, 2009
322 posts
249 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
dazman09 wrote: Just tried to get the deal through online chat, and was told the deal ended last week. She offered 300mbps for $55/mo with $250 credit, but I'll just stick with Teksavvy. I'd rather support the little guys than deal with the bait and switch from the big guys. Its unfortunate because it looks like they are actively trying to run their customers away with games.
:rolleyes:

That sounds awfully sour grapey.. What exactly is baiting and/or switching about a promotional, temporary deal that apparently was never advertised or offered to the public, and was explicitly not for existing customers? And for that matter, show me the Teksavvy plan that offers even 150mbit service for $55/mo? Because I was paying too much last year apparently!
Last edited by AmRando on Feb 19th, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 31, 2009
322 posts
249 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan

I am a little too lazy to have to reset up my whole entire home wifi setup
but I am too lazy
Disappointed But Relieved Face

If only there was some sort of.. home-based device one could buy and own providing wifi that cost less than one month's service to make you independent of your ISP..

So when there was a deal elsewhere, you could just make a phone call and switch..
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2626 posts
2586 upvotes
Vancouver
AmRando wrote: Disappointed But Relieved Face

If only there was some sort of.. home-based device one could buy and own providing wifi that cost less than one month's service to make you independent of your ISP..

So when there was a deal elsewhere, you could just make a phone call and switch..
What would we even call these crazy Wi-Fi devices that route traffic around our network?? Routers?????
Nov 23, 2016
7 posts
1 upvote
Hi everyone. Hoping to get some feedback before I lock into this Shaw deal for two years, will be my first ever contract. Been with Shaw since 1992.
Internet 300
Small tv with cnbc added
HBO/Crave
$114 per month.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1943 posts
1505 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada

I would just buy a decent router and setup bridge/IP pass through saves the hassle during switch big time.
Mar 31, 2009
322 posts
249 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
muffin4life wrote: which is the best modem? Hilton, XB6 or dpc? Thx
The XB6 modem is the only one that supports Shaw's current top service level, officially. Although from a technical standpoint any DOCSIS3.0 modem should.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-14080

The Arris XB6 supports DOCSIS3.1, with a theoretical max throughput of 10Gbps, and supports beamforming wifi. DOCSIS3.1 supports much higher compression per channel, but again that really makes no difference at 300-600mbps.

The XB6 uses the Intel PUMA7 network chipset as opposed to the Hitron's PUMA6, so many but not all of the previous complaints about random network latency have been fixed. Again, basically all these improvements are theoretical or futureproofing. If you're getting a free modem, it really doesn't matter. But if you're being expected to pay for it or rent it, don't spend money on the old product.

As an aside; reading the Shaw Community XB6 guide: Who the hell designs a single-LED notification system like that? Amber->green->red->white? What traffic light on the planet goes from Amber to Green to Red?
Dec 12, 2010
293 posts
240 upvotes
AmRando wrote: :rolleyes:

That sounds awfully sour grapey.. What exactly is baiting and/or switching about a promotional, temporary deal that apparently was never advertised or offered to the public, and was explicitly not for existing customers? And for that matter, show me the Teksavvy plan that offers even 150mbit service for $55/mo? Because I was paying too much last year apparently!
Having a 'sale' that is 'kind of' 'available until the end of the month' (even though it wasnt available until the end of the month) but only 'some' customers can get it, if they talk to a certain person.. for those that make the effort, but dont get the correct person, offered a different deal, with a higher price. (literally the definition of bait and switch)
I never stated Teksavvy has a similar plan, I just stated that I'll stay with them because I'd rather my money go to them since they've proven themselves to a higher ethical and moral standard in my eyes for the last few years.
Sour grapey sure, I like many, cant stand the large telecoms and how they continually take advantage of their customers due to their inherited effective monopolies. Just a personal preference.
Oct 17, 2010
838 posts
592 upvotes
Terrace

Just do it. save yourself the trouble of dealing with a provider with an "existing customer" status. The wifi set up it's just a one time time process. Please don't be lazy for your wallet.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2245 posts
669 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Is there a good deal on adding basic TV to this?
Feb 18, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
Hi, I'm interested in signing up for this promo but unable to direct message. Can one of the reps PM me? Thank you in advance.
Mar 31, 2009
322 posts
249 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
dazman09 wrote: Having a 'sale' that is 'kind of' 'available until the end of the month' (even though it wasnt available until the end of the month) but only 'some' customers can get it, if they talk to a certain person.. for those that make the effort, but dont get the correct person, offered a different deal, with a higher price. (literally the definition of bait and switch)
:rolleyes:

I don't think you know what the phrase "bait and switch" actually means.

Try this: https://www.sinemia.com/

A Bait and Switch tactic is when someone is lured in with a low introductory price, or below-cost purchase and then unannounced surcharges are levied, the subscription rate is increased without warning, or simply the advertised low-cost item is made unavailable, and you are encouraged to purchase a higher-priced item instead. Like Sinemia's ongoing tactics since day one; STILL advertising a low monthly rate for movie tickets on their front page and no mention of the ongoing, increasing fees, penalties and material changes in terms without any warning or recourse that happen AFTER you sign up.. You are BAITED with one offer or promise, and then the SWITCH revokes or changes the offer after the fact, in an attempt to discourage you from quitting due to the sunk-cost fallacy.

Just like Shaw.. advertising this $45 deal everywhere- the newspapers, online, their website and then revoking it just to spite you? Oh wait..

* Get over yourself. It's implied somewhat by other users' posts that you probably missed out on this promotional deal in part because people like you * it up; calling the sales rep who offered it first and gloating openly about how they were cheating the system. That's probably one really good reason why they cancelled it early- because RFDers like you * it up for the rest of us. Or maybe you missed that irony somehow?
dazman09 wrote: Sour grapey sure, I like many, cant stand the large telecoms and how they continually take advantage of their customers due to their inherited effective monopolies. Just a personal preference.
..what does that have to do with this situation at all? Noone is stopping you from switching to any provider, period. Noone is restricting you from using a 3rd-party reseller/provider, period. The 'inherited effective monopoly' is because they built and own the cable infrastructure.. period. However, they're required by law to offer wholesale services on it, and those rates are regulated. And in this case, the large telecom offered a promotional discount, undercutting its competition in an attempt to increase market share.. literally the exact opposite of what the cellular providers do. So on no level is this statement even relevant in this situation.
Last edited by MrDisco on Feb 19th, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: rude
Dec 12, 2010
293 posts
240 upvotes
AmRando wrote: :rolleyes:

I don't think you know what the phrase "bait and switch" actually means.

Try this: https://www.sinemia.com/

A Bait and Switch tactic is when someone is lured in with a low introductory price, or below-cost purchase and then unannounced surcharges are levied, the subscription rate is increased without warning, or simply the advertised low-cost item is made unavailable, and you are encouraged to purchase a higher-priced item instead. Like Sinemia's ongoing tactics since day one; STILL advertising a low monthly rate for movie tickets on their front page and no mention of the ongoing, increasing fees, penalties and material changes in terms without any warning or recourse that happen AFTER you sign up.. You are BAITED with one offer or promise, and then the SWITCH revokes or changes the offer after the fact, in an attempt to discourage you from quitting due to the sunk-cost fallacy.

Just like Shaw.. advertising this $45 deal everywhere- the newspapers, online, their website and then revoking it just to spite you? Oh wait..

*. Get over yourself. It's implied somewhat by other users' posts that you probably missed out on this promotional deal in part because people like you * it up; calling the sales rep who offered it first and gloating openly about how they were cheating the system. That's probably one really good reason why they cancelled it early- because RFDers like you * it up for the rest of us. Or maybe you missed that irony somehow?
The bold part from your post is exactly what happened. You posted the exact definition of what happened and what a bait and switch is.

I simply went to the website, and requested the deal via chat, stating to the rep I was hoping to switch from Teksavvy for $45/mo. I never "***** up the deal" or called a sales rep (who would I call?) or gloated about cheating the system.. or tried to cheat the system? RFDers like me? are you flaming the correct person?