• Aug 19th, 2021 3:55 pm
[OP]
Jul 11, 2012
9 posts
7 upvotes
DELTA

Shaw Mobile - Nightmare in Rosedale BC

Hi All ,

I often scan hot deal RF forums and am very appreciative of hints and deal links received here over the last few years.
I haven't really had a chance or a need to create my own post , but my recent experience with shaw is beyond a sick joke status and I would really like to fore warn others and save them the trouble wasting their time and money.

I have a couple of pay as you go plans with with public mobile and while not specifically looking for a replacement I came across the pop up ad from shaw with the $25 /month cell phone plan guaranteed while on internet contract them. I figured I 'd give it a go , save a couple of bucks and while at it, take advantage of the third $0 data on demand plan for my 14 yo kid.

I chatted then up the first person I talked to offered a discount for 2 cell phone plans at $15/month and the $0 line for 3 rd. I initially wanted just one to test the coverage , but he assured me that there is no charge till the new SIMs are activated .I provided my existing internet account details, soft signed the contracts and he informed me they would mail me 3 brand new inactivated SIM cards. A couple of hours later , I realized that I forgot to provide him with a local PO Box , as there is no direct house delivery in my area. The next operator noted the change and said they would correct the shipping info.

Few days passed and received 2 shipment of 3 SIM cards in each. I called in trying to activate them , but they had a difficult time mapping them to my newly created mobile accounts and eventually were able to identify the correct serial numbers , but it turned out that one of the SIM cards hasn't back flashed in the system and to try again in a while. Nothing has been activated to my knowledge.

I waited a day or two and pinged them again to activate. This time the operator I 've reached advised that there is no cell phone coverage in my area, and that I cannot use shaw mobile. I thought that he may have gotten confused and tried someone else few minutes later. Same result , and they also told me to refer to the PDF formatted coverage map. I looked at it and told him that while there is a lighter shade of the color used, and I think it was blue, it mapped to slower 3 G service and that I was fine with that , but he corrected me and said that that meant no service.

This whole process of going through several agents that kept on handing me over to different departments took about 3 hrs of online chatting and explaining , and the same amount of on hold time. I was disappointed and discouraged, but figured that would be all to it. Yesterday, I received a heads up from shaw mobile on an upcoming bill for $108.WTF ?!!I am now on the hook for service that has no coverage in my area and has never been activated. Now I will need to undo all this nonsense again.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15230 posts
20497 upvotes
Vancouver
Sorry to hear that OP. Yes Shaw’s mobile network is very spotty. Just look up Freedom Mobile (same network) on RFD for coverage complaints. There are many places right in Vancouver where I can’t pick up a signal. It doesn’t surprise me that a place like Rosedale would have little to no coverage too. Sucks that Shaw is not up front about this and that you had such a tough time dealing with them.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2012
9 posts
7 upvotes
DELTA
The good news is that it took about 20 minutes to cancel the mobile service through the chat. Hopefully that will put an end to the auto invoicing
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4476 posts
1025 upvotes
Richmond
Sigh. I thought they taught people how to read maps back then. Maybe not now but definitely during my time as a high school student.
Lighter part means nationwide and that means it is essentially roaming on a big 3 network. To use the big 3 network sim needs to be activated in the darker color region which Shaw owns.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5271 posts
3735 upvotes
Vancouver
Shaw mobile is basically freedom mobile. The coverage map on that is very spotty. Of course if you live in Vancouver (only experience so i cant speak about elsewhere), the coverage is actually very good now (despite everyone commenting about Wind in the past, it has improved a lot under shaw). The good news is it was easy to cancel. No idea why the rep initially didn't warn you about the coverage or lack of coverage in the area. They should know based on your shipping address since its really public info...

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/network-coverage

As you can see, you clearly arent in the coverage zone.