Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3686 posts
2337 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver

Shaw New BlueCurve Wi-Fi Pods

Looks like Shaw is selling a mesh Wi-Fi network of their own. However they are charging $10 a month to use them. Anyone know what brand they are using and what's a better alternative?

Shaw Bluecurve Pods
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1455 posts
616 upvotes
Calgary
It's with the Arris/Technicolor XB6 modem so my guess is one of them. There's no actual manufacturer shown on the pods themselves (I have a set).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3686 posts
2337 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Devhux wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 3:15 pm
It's with the Arris/Technicolor XB6 modem so my guess is one of them. There's no actual manufacturer shown on the pods themselves (I have a set).
How do you like the pods? How's the experience, performance and range?
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1455 posts
616 upvotes
Calgary
Setting up a pod is a cinch - after the modem is all set up, you use the Shaw Home app to set up a pod. The app walks you through the process, but it's basically plug it in, put the phone near the pod, enter the location for easy reference and you're good.

I have two pods set up and they do work quite well, but as Shaw points out they're more to help out dead spots as opposed to giving you full speed across your entire home. Shaw states typical speeds when connected to a pod is 200Mbps and that's right in line with what I see.

Everything has been seamless so far and I haven't run into disconnects or other issues.
Jul 28, 2008
106 posts
1 upvote
They sell these in packs of three. I only need one. Anyone want to sell me one?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3686 posts
2337 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
kazoober wrote:
May 17th, 2019 12:15 pm
They sell these in packs of three. I only need one. Anyone want to sell me one?
Gonna be hard to get someone to sell you one since these are rental only for now. Gonna have to be returned one day.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1455 posts
616 upvotes
Calgary
I believe they are also tied to the modem and/or account.
Aug 3, 2018
121 posts
26 upvotes
Telus wifi boost extenders are better bought them online and works with my home modem