Ongoing Deal Discussion

Shaw

Shaw Home Internet renewal 300 mbps unlimited $54/month + $100 bill credit + free 2 phone lines YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2023 12:12 pm
Dec 13, 2017
245 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver Island
2. I do am noticing disconnects to my internet a few times now during the day. WFH my VPN disconnects if it experiences even a slight drop in connection. I have literally stared at my modem and it does not go offline. Just may be some ping issue? I don't know. Other devices also experience a slight disconnect like if I am reloading a webpage or something it stalls so it is not my work computer which is acting up. I don't know how to fix this? Any suggestions anyone?
I started experiencing multiple disconnects during the day, and after talking to Shaw several times, and not getting any resolution, I purchased a very long ethernet cable. Problem solved! (Except now I will need to spend some time hiding the cable under the baseboards.) On wifi, I was getting 30mbps download, now I typically get 280 or better.
Oct 25, 2019
492 posts
212 upvotes
grammasdeals wrote: I started experiencing multiple disconnects during the day, and after talking to Shaw several times, and not getting any resolution, I purchased a very long ethernet cable. Problem solved! (Except now I will need to spend some time hiding the cable under the baseboards.) On wifi, I was getting 30mbps download, now I typically get 280 or better.
Thanks. It is sure Ethernet get the fastest and the 'true' plan speed. on Wifi I usually get 400 - 450 max on my 600 internet but ethernet I get 650.
The problem with running an Ethernet is that I have to have the modem and the work computer in the same room. That is still not that hard. But running a cable across the room is, just how you mentioned. Plus, that only solves the issue with one device. I don't know if it Wifi issue or actually a problem with Shaw internet losing the ping or something..
Mar 7, 2020
573 posts
898 upvotes
I'm a forever customer with shaw...currently have the 300 internet package. As expected, I was told I was not eligible for the promotion seeing my contract expiry was not within the 3 month threshold. Also got a long speech about how I should be happy I'm only paying $68 for my 300 internet, and dont need anything faster...seeing the regular price is over $100/month...what a joke.
More and more, I wonder why I've been a customer for over 15 years straight.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
grammasdeals wrote: I started experiencing multiple disconnects during the day, and after talking to Shaw several times, and not getting any resolution, I purchased a very long ethernet cable. Problem solved! (Except now I will need to spend some time hiding the cable under the baseboards.) On wifi, I was getting 30mbps download, now I typically get 280 or better.
I have the same problem, but don't quite understand how a longer cable helps the disconnects. I currently use the short 6' provided. Can u explain how the longer cable makes it better?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 4, 2012
8355 posts
8901 upvotes
mythical wrote: Yes, so I think there is something as getting lines added without a credit check. They are sending me 3 sim cards and the agent confirmed there is no credit check involved. Once I get the sim cards, i can call to activate. Again, can only confirm all of this once I do get the sim cards and then activate a line. Thing is, I wont be needing another cellphone line. But it is free, so why not..But don't want an unnecessary credit check with them. My credit bureau is something I closely guard and only share until I absolutely need to and for something I really need lol but that is just how I am haha

EDIT: credit is stellar though.
i might as well get my 4 other lines then (if free)... credit check already done and qualified!!!
Oct 25, 2019
492 posts
212 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: I have the same problem, but don't quite understand how a longer cable helps the disconnects. I currently use the short 6' provided. Can u explain how the longer cable makes it better?
I don't think he/she meant longer cable helps per se. The OP meant cable versus Wifi which could help as all my devices are wifi connected and none is hard wired. I have tried hard wiring to check if I am getting the promised 600 speeds and true, I admit everytime I hard wire, I get 650 mbps or so.

If you are still experiencing fisconnecting issues after running a cable versus wifi, I suspect there is more to it. Probably a modem issue, device issue or honestly downright issue with Shaw. There are reports on their forums about these disconnects as well. I do find this annoying because my work VPN is super sensitive. Even minor lag/disconnect and it kicks me out. I started noticing it on my other devices too. If I am working on my home laptop...browsing just fine then all of a sudden a webpage takes forever to load, just that very instant I see the VPN disconnect on the work computer. happened so many times that it is not a fluke observation. lasts about 5-8 seconds.
Oct 25, 2019
492 posts
212 upvotes
muffin4life wrote: i might as well get my 4 other lines then (if free)... credit check already done and qualified!!!
That is what I really wanted. But what I am unsure about it where exactly the credit check process happens? When you call to activate or when they send you the sim cards? Reason I am skeptical is it could be an uninformed agent.. he said he added 3 sim cards and true it does show on my order summary. Now, last thing I want is when I call Shaw Mobile to activate the service and get a new number, they ask me for a credit check at the point.
If the activation process is just about getting a new number, and nothing about giving CC information, then I may have crossed that hurdle without a CC. Unless someone can confirm, I guess I will only know once I get the sim cards and call to activate the service and get a new number...

I am so hoping if someone can confirm that, but it looks like everyone activated it a kiosk or shaw retail. And true, they want the IDs etc for Credit check there. I've walked out many times. That is the sole reason I had been avoiding the $0 plan for so long. Otherwise, who does not like free stuff lol.
Oct 25, 2020
117 posts
258 upvotes
brncy19 wrote: Couple days ago I tried the chat and was offered $55/month with no credits where she then said I can try calling the fibre team as I live in a fibre fed building. That team told me to call the number back in the email. There they offered $50/month plus $25 credit for starting the plan immediately to cover the next couple months price difference.
My building is also fibre fed as well with Shaw. I took $60 for regular internet 300 with bluecurve because I have a 50ft fibre cable hanging out at my electrical panel that needed to be spliced and ran upstairs. That would require a 2 hour tech job minimum as they had to install a fibre modem and a netgear router as well.

With covid going on, I decided just to stick with the bluecurve modem even though I got offered $50 for internet 300 with the fibre modem+netgear router. I already have a coaxial outlet in the living room and the bluecurve works well for WIFI. Btw even if you got the fibre setup, you're still limited to 15 upload for the grandfathered plan I have and 100mbps upload for Fibre+ because of how their system works. No symmetrical upload. Apparently it's because its supposed to make their plans more simple and straight forward LOL.
Oct 20, 2018
57 posts
15 upvotes
Tried another 2 agents today and still no luck :(
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
mythical wrote: I don't think he/she meant longer cable helps per se. The OP meant cable versus Wifi which could help as all my devices are wifi connected and none is hard wired. I have tried hard wiring to check if I am getting the promised 600 speeds and true, I admit everytime I hard wire, I get 650 mbps or so.

If you are still experiencing fisconnecting issues after running a cable versus wifi, I suspect there is more to it. Probably a modem issue, device issue or honestly downright issue with Shaw. There are reports on their forums about these disconnects as well. I do find this annoying because my work VPN is super sensitive. Even minor lag/disconnect and it kicks me out. I started noticing it on my other devices too. If I am working on my home laptop...browsing just fine then all of a sudden a webpage takes forever to load, just that very instant I see the VPN disconnect on the work computer. happened so many times that it is not a fluke observation. lasts about 5-8 seconds.
Thanks for the explanation. I have cannet right now and nordvpn disconnects but still shows connected. Even without VPN I get a short hair second disconnect and then it works. Switching to Shaw 300 in a few days, hope it improves.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 4, 2012
8355 posts
8901 upvotes
mythical wrote: That is what I really wanted. But what I am unsure about it where exactly the credit check process happens? When you call to activate or when they send you the sim cards? Reason I am skeptical is it could be an uninformed agent.. he said he added 3 sim cards and true it does show on my order summary. Now, last thing I want is when I call Shaw Mobile to activate the service and get a new number, they ask me for a credit check at the point.
If the activation process is just about getting a new number, and nothing about giving CC information, then I may have crossed that hurdle without a CC. Unless someone can confirm, I guess I will only know once I get the sim cards and call to activate the service and get a new number...

I am so hoping if someone can confirm that, but it looks like everyone activated it a kiosk or shaw retail. And true, they want the IDs etc for Credit check there. I've walked out many times. That is the sole reason I had been avoiding the $0 plan for so long. Otherwise, who does not like free stuff lol.
correct they asked for ID and credit card to do the check... i had to pay $20 for each "activated" line. as i may want another line for my parents i want the ability to do this in the future... but if not i guess i suck up the $20 cost and get one right away before the promo is gone...
Dec 24, 2015
481 posts
735 upvotes
Richmond
So I can set you up on a new 2 Year Value Plan with your Internet 300 for $60/month +tax, + a one-time $100 bill credit. Would you like me to set this up for you?

She offered this right away without me asking for anything, I took it.
Dec 13, 2017
245 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver Island
I have the same problem, but don't quite understand how a longer cable helps the disconnects. I currently use the short 6' provided. Can u explain how the longer cable makes it better?
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was experiencing the disconnects and slow speed on wifi. Now being hardwired, I never experience disconnects over my devices.
Dec 30, 2020
4 posts
Sleepyzz wrote: So I can set you up on a new 2 Year Value Plan with your Internet 300 for $60/month +tax, + a one-time $100 bill credit. Would you like me to set this up for you?

She offered this right away without me asking for anything, I took it.
Are you an existing Shaw Customer? Or was this as a new customer signup?
Apr 16, 2015
114 posts
177 upvotes
GVRD
decided to go for this deal after looking at what Telus had to offer (which was more expensive).
Internet 300 for $54/month, + $100 bill credit (had to activate a phone line to get it though - $20 sim fee) and then added back my limited tv for $25/month

already had a $20/month tv promo from before that doesn't expire till July and was told I am able to keep that still.

*EDIT - didn't see the $20 SIM card charge on my order summary but it shows "Shaw Mobile Sim Purchase cost (x2) = $0) Anyone knows what will happen if I DONT activate the SIM? I really don't need it...but wanted the $100 credit...
Oct 25, 2019
492 posts
212 upvotes
softkitty wrote: decided to go for this deal after looking at what Telus had to offer (which was more expensive).
Internet 300 for $54/month, + $100 bill credit (had to activate a phone line to get it though - $20 sim fee) and then added back my limited tv for $25/month

already had a $20/month tv promo from before that doesn't expire till July and was told I am able to keep that still.

*EDIT - didn't see the $20 SIM card charge on my order summary but it shows "Shaw Mobile Sim Purchase cost (x2) = $0) Anyone knows what will happen if I DONT activate the SIM? I really don't need it...but wanted the $100 credit...
It shows the same thing for me. That is what I am asking others too. I was told I will pay $20/line activated as well. But I don't know if I have by-passed the credit check requirement or not. The agent told me they are waiving it off for me due to my tenure. I hope that is true otherwise I am not activating it lol.
Oct 25, 2019
492 posts
212 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: Thanks for the explanation. I have cannet right now and nordvpn disconnects but still shows connected. Even without VPN I get a short hair second disconnect and then it works. Switching to Shaw 300 in a few days, hope it improves.
Exactly same issue here. I think the issue is either with their modems or Shaw service (node etccc.). We all cannot be having wifi interference issues.
Which modem do you have? I have their blue curve one.
Dec 30, 2020
4 posts
Right now I have an offer from Shaw for Internet 600 at $70 / month with a $50 bill credit. I am currently on a 24-month value plan for Internet 300 that is expiring next week. I am going to see how much more I can squeeze in the chat.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2692 posts
1742 upvotes
Home
Last years deal was way better. Business must be good.
Fizz Mobile $ 4.80 USA CAN 45 GB