Hot Deals

[Shaw] Shaw Home Internet renewal 300 mbps unlimited $54/month + $100 bill credit + free 2 phone lines YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 9:15 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1131 posts
378 upvotes
Vancouver
kingpin748 wrote: They are all the worst. I just go with the one whose offering me the best deal at that point in time.
Yup. Went from Telus to Shaw and back to Telus. Neither bothered to retain me when I called back to renew.
Mar 19, 2006
130 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver
kingpin748 wrote: They are all the worst. I just go with the one whose offering me the best deal at that point in time.
I have just signed a 2 year contract with with Shaw but also spoke with Telus today to negotiate another contract. My impression is that Telus reps are more patient, friendlier and (arguably) more professional. This is not to say they always offer the best deal, but all else being equal I do prefer dealing with Telus.
Mar 19, 2006
130 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver
someone16 wrote: Yup. Went from Telus to Shaw and back to Telus. Neither bothered to retain me when I called back to renew.
Did you get a winback offer from Telus?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1131 posts
378 upvotes
Vancouver
warmwolfy wrote: Did you get a winback offer from Telus?
No. I meant that I was with Telus, then went to Shaw for two years, and now switching to Telus again for 2 years.
Mar 19, 2006
130 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver
ykhehra1 wrote: Since Shaw cancelled my online order, i am thinking to get freedom 150mbps $55 month to month plan and check Shaw deal when they have this wifi6 router available in Edmonton also.
Anybody got freedom home internet in 2021?
I got Telus 1G, but speed is below 500. Spent two hour with technician on phone, then he sent another technician for home visit with no success in finding culprit. Paying $85 on two year contract (have rest of January to cancel).

What you guys suggest?
I had experience with lighspeed, these guys are good. The $40 plan only gives 75mbps but for the price that's the best I could find. If you had to have 150mbps, then Freedom is probably the way to go.
Jul 30, 2012
579 posts
653 upvotes
warmwolfy wrote: I have just signed a 2 year contract with with Shaw but also spoke with Telus today to negotiate another contract. My impression is that Telus reps are more patient, friendlier and (arguably) more professional. This is not to say they always offer the best deal, but all else being equal I do prefer dealing with Telus.
The difference in agent experience and ability to deal with issues before escalation is far superior at Telus. I found myself literally in screaming matches with Shaw front line because they were either poorly trained or in positions beyond their capability (even the most basic). As far as retention, I have always found Telus will work with you if presented with a competitor offering a "better" deal for similar bundles. Just wanting a better price is not going to cut it unless you have a realistic comparison. No need for escalations, waiting days from a Shaw manager, no 4 hour waits on chat/call ins.

Shaw customer treatment is horrible once signed. You can reach a rep in under 5 minutes if wanting to sign up but can't find one post-signing. My (and others I know) have had equally bad experiences with Shaw. Shocking how they are still able to compete in an industry where Customer retention is so important.
Jul 30, 2012
579 posts
653 upvotes
warmwolfy wrote: I had experience with lighspeed, these guys are good. The $40 plan only gives 75mbps but for the price that's the best I could find. If you had to have 150mbps, then Freedom is probably the way to go.
Lightspeed uses Telus/Shaw networks (ADSL/CABLE Internet). Telus will match, Shaw won'tWinking Face
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2051 posts
640 upvotes
Today I got a random call from a Shaw sales rep and was offered $54/month for 300mbps on a 2 year term with a $200 bill credit. I took the offer.

I had reached out to reps on RFD via PM and was offered nowhere close to this.
Nov 22, 2019
26 posts
9 upvotes
cbt123 wrote: Today I got a random call from a Shaw sales rep and was offered $54/month for 300mbps on a 2 year term with a $200 bill credit. I took the offer.

I had reached out to reps on RFD via PM and was offered nowhere close to this.
Can you post the Shaw sale rep phone number... let members have a much better chance success to negotiate with that rep to get the done deal.
Jun 22, 2016
305 posts
196 upvotes
Not important
Lots of people here busy slamming Shaw but Telus is just as bad. You may have had a great experience with one or the other but there’s plenty of ppl that had awful experiences with both. Never mind the fact Telus has their home service agents in the Phillipines because they don’t want to pay Canadian workers. Also their mobility agents are in Guatemala (20 dollars for 8 hrs of work). Koodo call centre is in El Salvador. Instead of hiring some Canadian agents, they’re dumping home service training on the over-worked mobility agents in Guatemala. So no. Both companies are greedy corporations and none of us should be loyal.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2051 posts
640 upvotes
Uptodate wrote: Can you post the Shaw sale rep phone number... let members have a much better chance success to negotiate with that rep to get the done deal.
I don't know the number, I just got it as an unsolicited phone call. I haven't had Shaw services for over a year.
Oct 25, 2019
260 posts
90 upvotes
Lag333 wrote: Lots of people here busy slamming Shaw but Telus is just as bad. You may have had a great experience with one or the other but there’s plenty of ppl that had awful experiences with both. Never mind the fact Telus has their home service agents in the Phillipines because they don’t want to pay Canadian workers. Also their mobility agents are in Guatemala (20 dollars for 8 hrs of work). Koodo call centre is in El Salvador. Instead of hiring some Canadian agents, they’re dumping home service training on the over-worked mobility agents in Guatemala. So no. Both companies are greedy corporations and none of us should be loyal.
Totally agreed! Like I am with Shaw for well over a decade and personally have never had major issues with service. But that does not mean I swear by them and would say they are best and anyone having issues with them is plain BS. No. Individual experiences, right! Similarly, Telus back in the day had a notoriously bad reputation of offering kick-ass signup deals by their reps only to be told after a month of service that the rep misquoted the price and this is what the exorbitant new price is.

Anyway, basically comes down to whatever works for each individual. Although, personally companies that outsource jobs dont impress me from an ethical point of view. And second, in my prior experience it is also hard to deal with those agents.

Anyway, discussions for another day.
Jul 21, 2013
763 posts
454 upvotes
Calgary
And the opposite can be said too. I would NEVER deal with Telus anymore, I would rather move houses than having to sign up with them again. No reply on their customer care twitter or online forms, threatening with collections because they lost a modem YEARS ago. No thanks, Telus is by far the worst.
Oct 25, 2020
32 posts
31 upvotes
I called Shaw today to add some pod extenders and the wait was an hour long. The agent I spoke to said people have been spam calling Shaw for the past week to get this deal. He even got a guy that called three times in a roll in one day trying to get this deal even though he wasn't eligible the first time. Apparently they hired a lot of new ppl lately to deal with the queues

The power of RFDs Face With Tears Of Joy. I suggest people trying to get this deal to chat in instead
Jul 30, 2012
579 posts
653 upvotes
In the most recent Quarterly reports, Shaw lost (-79,500) RGU (Revenue Generating Units) on wireline with (-14,500) from Internet. No wonder they are offering early retention offers to "Value Plan" customers. Subscribers are leaving in droves.

By comparison, Telus ADDED +79,000 RGUs, with +50,000 net Internet additions.

Shaw is getting its clocked cleaned by the competition. Company arrogance and ignoring clients heading to the exits looks like what's kick started this promo.
Jun 4, 2012
787 posts
474 upvotes
BC
DealRNothing wrote: Lightspeed uses Telus/Shaw networks (ADSL/CABLE Internet). Telus will match, Shaw won'tWinking Face
Telus will price match Lightspeed? 75mbps/$40?
Nov 25, 2012
17 posts
6 upvotes
VICTORIA
Any Shaw rep here please PM me. Located in BC Victoria area.
Oct 25, 2010
732 posts
340 upvotes
It’s crazy u can’t get 150mbps or even 75 mbps internet from Shaw or Telus for $50 or less for a brand new customer ... if anyone knows differently please let me know
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
1566 posts
686 upvotes
BC
DealRNothing wrote: In the most recent Quarterly reports, Shaw lost (-79,500) RGU (Revenue Generating Units) on wireline with (-14,500) from Internet. No wonder they are offering early retention offers to "Value Plan" customers. Subscribers are leaving in droves.

By comparison, Telus ADDED +79,000 RGUs, with +50,000 net Internet additions.

Shaw is getting its clocked cleaned by the competition. Company arrogance and ignoring clients heading to the exits looks like what's kick started this promo.
then why not offer the same to new customers...
Jul 30, 2012
579 posts
653 upvotes
gundamwingZero wrote: then why not offer the same to new customers...
This is a business decision. Customer retention is the "easiest" marketing step to do (something Shaw is just waking up to while every other provider has known for years). New customer attraction is much more difficult and takes much more marketing dollars to do. For now, Shaw has chosen to spend the marketing dollars on stopping the exodus of subscribers. The over 1.5 year (left_i.e. 1.4>.1) "Value Plan" clients "get" non-base service increases to help offset customer credits hat are nearer their term expiration(s).

Shaw marketing is always quite obvious as to what they do and why. Just check the company quarterlies
Last edited by DealRNothing on Jan 7th, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

Jonesie13, tseivan