Hot Deals

[Shaw] Shaw Home Internet renewal 300 mbps unlimited $54/month + $100 bill credit + free 2 phone lines YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 9:15 pm
Apr 23, 2016
470 posts
511 upvotes
Kelowna
SpaceOdyssey2001 wrote: As a long time customer, my past experience with Shaw is they tend to rip off existing customers after contract expires. I know multiple friends who switch between Shaw and Telus every 2 years. Hope they understand it now. As for myself, I literally ripped their 'pay within 10 days or else' letter into pieces in rage. I feel they are threatening me although the billing error after I cancelled is from their side. Now I just refuse to play their games.
They all do. That's the name of the game. If the customer isn't motivated to pay less the company will gladly ignore them and let them continue paying high rates.

I was paying $98 a month with Telus for 1gig for a year after my device was paid off because I was too lazy to deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9614 posts
61278 upvotes
Ontario
trellaine201 wrote: Hello. Can I Shaw rep message me as well. I think my two year contract expires mid summer or the fall. Maybe I qualify for this extension?

Thanks
tymanbrew wrote: I would also greatly appreciate a DM from any shaw reps! Was on a student plan about a year ago but they didn't offer it upon renewal, currently on freedom but looking to maybe bundle in TV. Located In Vancouver.
dealguru99 wrote: Please do not ask for shaw reps to DM you. Old days are gone when reps were looking for clients. Now there is high demand for reps, most likely you will not get a DM.

Shaw reps can’t call you and give you this deal !

Read first post for eligibility.

Pick up the phone / chat with shaw!!
That is correct. Even my Shaw rep doesn't care anymore. They get tons of renewals.

Thanks to OP, I was able to get the same promotion with $150 credit.

Just call Shaw. My first attempt was $0 credit.
2nd = $50 credit
3rd = $100 credit no $54 plan
4th = $150 credits with $54 plan or $60 with new modem
Jul 30, 2012
579 posts
653 upvotes
DealRNothing wrote: This is a business decision. Customer retention is the "easiest" marketing step to do (something Shaw is just waking up to while every other provider has known for years). New customer attraction is much more difficult and takes much more marketing dollars to do. For now, Shaw has chosen to spend the marketing dollars on stopping the exodus of subscribers. The over 1.5 year (left_i.e. 1.4>.1) "Value Plan" clients "get" non-base service increases to help offset customer credits hat are nearer their term expiration(s).

Shaw marketing is always quite obvious as to what they do and why. Just check the company quarterlies
SpaceOdyssey2001 wrote: I called to cancel right before my $60 value plan for Internet 300 expires. Later they called to offer me $65 for renewal. Still cancelled. Got a bill for already returned equipment plus a letter saying they will pass me to a collection agency if I don't pay in 10 days. Really 'nice' customer service.

I have been avoiding Telus because the first time I booked an installation it's a no-show. That's like 20 years ago. I heard Telus is doing much better now.
SpaceOdyssey2001 wrote: As a long time customer, my past experience with Shaw is they tend to rip off existing customers after contract expires. I know multiple friends who switch between Shaw and Telus every 2 years. Hope they understand it now. As for myself, I literally ripped their 'pay within 10 days or else' letter into pieces in rage. I feel they are threatening me although the billing error after I cancelled is from their side. Now I just refuse to play their games.
Actually it appears Shaw did offer you a retention offer... Just one you weren't accepting of. Provider negotiations are always a dance and threatening to leave outright without a reasonable counter (from a competitor) will likely lead no where. I left Shaw a few years ago when they did nothing for retention regardless of providing competitor offers. No issues with negotiating with Telus for me (one and done loyalty calls, offer for next day install/equipment upgrades, competent techs, etc). Night and day experience for me.

I'm currently dealing with billing issues with Shaw for an extended family member on a "Value Plan" (choke). I would assist them with an alternate provider but contract expiration is too far off. I haven't had any billing, technical issues over the last few years with Telus.
Jul 30, 2012
579 posts
653 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: That is correct. Even my Shaw rep doesn't care anymore. They get tons of renewals.

Thanks to OP, I was able to get the same promotion with $150 credit.

Just call Shaw. My first attempt was $0 credit.
2nd = $50 credit
3rd = $100 credit no $54 plan
4th = $150 credits with $54 plan or $60 with new modem
1) Factually, Shaw is net losing subscribers -
2) I would never beg 4X's (likely hours) to a provider to take my money - likely why I will never return to Shaw
Nov 25, 2020
6 posts
dealguru99 wrote: Please do not ask for shaw reps to DM you. Old days are gone when reps were looking for clients. Now there is high demand for reps, most likely you will not get a DM.

Shaw reps can’t call you and give you this deal !

Read first post for eligibility.

Pick up the phone / chat with shaw!!
As someone previously stated in the comments they were a previous member of shaw and still got a similar offer by phone, I understand that it may not be the best deal out there but some of us have chatted with shaw support multiple times only to get quoted the price on the website!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9614 posts
61278 upvotes
Ontario
DealRNothing wrote: 1) Factually, Shaw is net losing subscribers -
2) I would never beg 4X's (likely hours) to a provider to take my money - likely why I will never return to Shaw

True. They don’t give a damnnn about old customers that’s why many sales rep recommend people to change their name and sign up with a different name.

They stopped doing that as of 2019 since shaw started to claw back commissions.

I’ve been 10+ years with shaw. Every time I called retention, they offer me something higher than new customer promo or just slap me across my face with a $10 off on their regular price for 6 months.
Jun 11, 2014
260 posts
167 upvotes
Madden, AB
Not seeing anything decent out there even when comparing the resellers so was at least able to renew another 2 years on shaw 300 at 54/mo. No bill credits offered.
Jan 9, 2014
682 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
DealRNothing wrote: 1) Factually, Shaw is net losing subscribers -
Problem is there isn’t a better deal elsewhere, if another competitor can offer same plan with same credit. I’ll love to switch and say screw Shaw.
Oct 1, 2006
69 posts
82 upvotes
calgary
Thatdealguy wrote: True. They don’t give a damnnn about old customers that’s why many sales rep recommend people to change their name and sign up with a different name.

They stopped doing that as of 2019 since shaw started to claw back commissions.

I’ve been 10+ years with shaw. Every time I called retention, they offer me something higher than new customer promo or just slap me across my face with a $10 off on their regular price for 6 months.

I agree with this statement - been with shaw for 15 year - paying +200/month for Tv and internet 300 - shaw CSR would not offer a better deal and tried to upsell me on more tv and HS internet

wound up cancelling all TV and and getting month to month internet - looking for a deal still
Jun 4, 2012
787 posts
474 upvotes
BC
Pharmer wrote: Problem is there isn’t a better deal elsewhere, if another competitor can offer same plan with same credit. I’ll love to switch and say screw Shaw.
it has been tough with everyone working from home and needing high speed internet the past year...

and knowing we can't just not have internet while waiting for another ISP to be hooked up
Jul 30, 2012
579 posts
653 upvotes
muffin4life wrote: it has been tough with everyone working from home and needing high speed internet the past year...

and knowing we can't just not have internet while waiting for another ISP to be hooked up
No question WFH has seen Providers raise monthly residential services while losing revenue from brick and mortar offices/businesses downgrading services. For sure this has caused all residential customers to suffer whether their workplace/business will/is subsidizing Internet or not.
Jun 1, 2015
614 posts
187 upvotes
Calgary, AB
If you want to port your existing number into shaw mobile, do you have to do it when you call to activate the sim card?

Or can i just activate the sim card now and port my existing phone number in at a later time?
Oct 15, 2006
148 posts
18 upvotes
Alberta
I have a month-to-month contract. I applied using the net and Shaw canceled my 2-year application. Any solution? Any existing month-to-month got this deal?
No external links in signatures
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1048 posts
330 upvotes
Victoria
RigorMortis wrote: If you want to port your existing number into shaw mobile, do you have to do it when you call to activate the sim card?

Or can i just activate the sim card now and port my existing phone number in at a later time?
When Shaw Mobile first came out I picked up 3 sim cards and activated them in a storefront. One I ported at that time, the other two I just kept for future - they were activated with temporary numbers. Just this week I called in and ported a 2nd number over the phone. Note, the port took 24 hours from Public Mobile and I was advised up front it could take up to that long and it was almost 24 hours exactly.

So yes, you should be able to activate the sim with a temporary number and port later. It's perfect for you to be able to test the network coverage in your area for your use case before you transfer away from one of the big 3.
May 6, 2014
80 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm already on the Value Plan, but I'm paying $75/month ($84 after tax). I'm wondering should I cancel the current contract and pay the early cancellation fee of $180 to sign up on this $54/month deal.
Jun 21, 2012
81 posts
53 upvotes
Brampton
Anyone knows if this free Shaw line can be used in Toronto/GTA area as regular local (not nationwide roaming) unlimited line?
Jun 1, 2015
614 posts
187 upvotes
Calgary, AB
MikeyCanuck wrote: When Shaw Mobile first came out I picked up 3 sim cards and activated them in a storefront. One I ported at that time, the other two I just kept for future - they were activated with temporary numbers. Just this week I called in and ported a 2nd number over the phone. Note, the port took 24 hours from Public Mobile and I was advised up front it could take up to that long and it was almost 24 hours exactly.

So yes, you should be able to activate the sim with a temporary number and port later. It's perfect for you to be able to test the network coverage in your area for your use case before you transfer away from one of the big 3.

First agent I spoke to at shaw mobile said I would have to port my number now when I activate the sim. Called again and the 2nd agent expressed what you mentioned in your post. I trust RFD over what the reps say so thanks for the clarification!
Jun 9, 2011
20 posts
19 upvotes
CALGARY
nitin12822 wrote: Anyone knows if this free Shaw line can be used in Toronto/GTA area as regular local (not nationwide roaming) unlimited line?
Shaw uses Freedom's network (see link:https://www.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/network-coverage ) so you'll be able to use it in the GTA. You can't get a number other than AB or BC (see link https://support.shaw.ca/t5/billing-acco ... -section-2 )

I don't know what Shaw would do if all your calls and data usage are in GTA though.
Feb 17, 2005
134 posts
27 upvotes
Verdun
As said by others, the $54/mo only applies to existing customers looking for renewal on Shaw internet 300 plan.
Alexios07 wrote: I'm already on the Value Plan, but I'm paying $75/month ($84 after tax). I'm wondering should I cancel the current contract and pay the early cancellation fee of $180 to sign up on this $54/month deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1083 posts
352 upvotes
Calgary
I am honestly just as frustrated as many here with Shaw or Telus. Our internet plans are so expensive. CRTC is supposed to make it fair for us, but more like keeping it expensive for us.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)