Ongoing Deal Discussion

Shaw

Shaw Home Internet renewal 300 mbps unlimited $54/month + $100 bill credit + free 2 phone lines YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2023 12:12 pm
Mar 22, 2018
609 posts
1166 upvotes
Canada
bosanac12 wrote: Most chat agents are pretending deal doesn't even exist.

Best they offered was internet 300 / essential tv / phone $215 with 100$ bill credit.

Said thanks but no thanks.

Rogers or Telus here I come.
That's because the deal doesn't exist unless you meet the qualification criteria. The agents are not pretending, they literally have no reason to. lol

If you qualify, it clearly tells the agent (phone or chat) that you qualify.

@Gurbar2305 obviously met all the criteria which is why he got the deal (or similar) and yeah, $70 for 600 is worth it.
Last edited by funtastic on Jan 12th, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 21, 2012
148 posts
143 upvotes
Brampton
billybob123 wrote: Shaw uses Freedom's network (see link:https://www.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/network-coverage ) so you'll be able to use it in the GTA. You can't get a number other than AB or BC (see link https://support.shaw.ca/t5/billing-acco ... -section-2 )

I don't know what Shaw would do if all your calls and data usage are in GTA though.
I understand, thats exactly my query. If I use in GTA, will it be local or Nationwide roaming.
Nov 4, 2009
133 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
Shaw used to be very kind to customers. Recently they changed so much. I'm heading to Telus now. Very sad.
Jun 9, 2011
31 posts
34 upvotes
CALGARY
nitin12822 wrote: I understand, thats exactly my query. If I use in GTA, will it be local or Nationwide roaming.
It's local in most regions of the GTA, see the links in your quoted post - there is a coverage map that answers your question if you need to know more specific regions of GTA.
Nov 14, 2018
22 posts
9 upvotes
I had the original $45 Plan with the Technicolour XB6 and "downgraded" it to the $54 Plan with the Hitron (saving $6 /month for 2 years). I am wanting to put that $144 saved into purchasing a third party wifi router instead since I figure I may as well own something instead of putting it to rent on the "extra" modem cost of the XB6. Can anyone suggest a good/reliable unit? I am not a super heavy user outside of streaming TV and Internet (no gaming or heavy transfers) and live in a two-story house. Any help would be awesome!
Last edited by the411 on Jan 13th, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 20, 2019
90 posts
73 upvotes
GVA, BC
the411 wrote: I had the original $45 Plan with the Technicolour XB6 and "downgraded" it to the $54 Plan with the Hitron (saving $6 /month for 2 years). I am wanting to put that $144 saved into purchasing a third party wifi router instead since I figure I may as well own something instead of putting it to rent on a modem. Can anyone suggest a good/reliable unit? I am not a super heavy user outside of streaming TV and Internet (no gaming or heavy transfers) and live in a two-story house. Any help would be awesome!
Hows your experience with the hitron model compared to the xb6? I am planning to do the same. Thanks.
Koodo $40/mo 12GB - S20 FE CPO
Fido $55/mo 11GB - S20 FE + $300 WM Gift Card
Telus $60 300/300MBPS + $400 Bill Credits
Oct 28, 2012
171 posts
317 upvotes
VICTORIA
ReginaldB13317 wrote: Hows your experience with the hitron model compared to the xb6? I am planning to do the same. Thanks.
My Hitron modem cannot sustain 300mbps. I'm being told everything is fine, but I pay for 300mbps and only get 160mbps and Shaw doesn't seem to care, even though the initial installer told me that the Hitron would have issues at 300mbps and to call in and get it swapped out.
Dec 8, 2012
987 posts
644 upvotes
Calgary
the411 wrote: I had the original $45 Plan with the Technicolour XB6 and "downgraded" it to the $54 Plan with the Hitron (saving $6 /month for 2 years). I am wanting to put that $144 saved into purchasing a third party wifi router instead since I figure I may as well own something instead of putting it to rent on a modem. Can anyone suggest a good/reliable unit? I am not a super heavy user outside of streaming TV and Internet (no gaming or heavy transfers) and live in a two-story house. Any help would be awesome!
you keep your hitron and disable wifi. Use Unifi APs to provide coverage. Just don't go with wireless mesh, only direct connection to the router's embedded switch!
Jan 10, 2021
3 posts
2 upvotes
sxtra wrote: Shaw used to be very kind to customers. Recently they changed so much. I'm heading to Telus now. Very sad.
No kidding. I just informed them I was switching in a non confrontational way and wanted steps on how to return the devices and any procedures for cancellations...and the rep put me on with their "supervisor" who proceeded to start arguing with me.

I will copy a line of what she said:
"we offered you a competitive package and it apparently sounds like it wasn't good enough for you. I can offer you a $30 bill credit but this is our last offer on this call."

Their customer service this month has been absurd. It's night and day to 2 years ago. What the hell happened?

I'm switching to Telus end of the month. Not at all regretting it.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2151 posts
3218 upvotes
ReginaldB13317 wrote:
Hows your experience with the hitron model compared to the xb6? I am planning to do the same. Thanks.
Snake13 wrote: My Hitron modem cannot sustain 300mbps. I'm being told everything is fine, but I pay for 300mbps and only get 160mbps and Shaw doesn't seem to care, even though the initial installer told me that the Hitron would have issues at 300mbps and to call in and get it swapped out.
I signed an extended family member to Shaw on a 2-year value plan (no competing choice) LY and requested/made sure the installer put in the XB6 (so many bad reviews on Hitron even then). While Shaw Contract increases are a fact of life, making loyal customers downgrade equipment is absurd. Shaw ends up with a pile of used modems to make a point. Clearly, middle management (and down) are being asked to do idiotic tasks.

Looks like they're not very confident in their throttling capability.
Mar 22, 2018
609 posts
1166 upvotes
Canada
Dennisrfd wrote: you keep your hitron and disable wifi. Use Unifi APs to provide coverage. Just don't go with wireless mesh, only direct connection to the router's embedded switch!
Is there a step-to-step guide that shows how to do this anywhere (preferably with pictures) and identifies which exact model of Ubiquiti?
Apr 30, 2007
186 posts
55 upvotes
Started with the online chat, then called in.

Was only able to either get:
  • $59 / month - $100 bill credit
  • $54 / month no credit
Lady was nice, She asked if there is a number she could look up for someone with the $54 with $100 credit, but I didn't have anyone to reference.
Dec 25, 2014
15 posts
2 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Tried with 3 agents. satisfied with $54 and $50 bill credit. I needed $0 mobile plan for my kids so. Seems Shaw mobile is better than Freedom in my area. North Surrey.
Apr 23, 2017
88 posts
134 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Just talked to an agent via online chat and was offered $100 plus taxes per month for my bundled INT 300 and TV service.
here's the breakdown what I was offered:
-INT 300 with blue curve modem rental at $55
-Limited TV + Cantonese pack + Fairchild 2 + rental at $45
-$100 bill credit

Previously, I talked to an agent in mid December, and was offered $105 + taxes /month with $100 bill credit for the same packaged deal.
The only change was INT 300 now being $5 cheaper; so I took it because I don't think I 'll be getting anything better based on the deals posted.

hope this helps
Last edited by ketchiguy on Jan 14th, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 28, 2012
171 posts
317 upvotes
VICTORIA
funtastic wrote: Is there a step-to-step guide that shows how to do this anywhere (preferably with pictures) and identifies which exact model of Ubiquiti?
Disabling your provider's WiFi is a good idea, as is going with a high-quality router / access point model.

I installed Ubiquiti about a year ago. I'd have to say, if you asked me in the first 3 months, I would have sung it's praises. But Ubiquiti's software/firmware patching issues, product support, and communication are in the dumps and I'd recommend avoiding until they get it together.

Unless you're an experienced network admin, I'd recommend going with something else.
Apr 16, 2015
114 posts
177 upvotes
GVRD
Just wondering, if people have seen the bill credits posted to their accounts yet? I was offered the bill credit when I renewed a few weeks ago, and the services have all updated, but my "current balance" is still reflecting my PREVIOUS contract... just wondering if I have to wait till the next billing cycle for it to update or show up?

TIA
Mar 22, 2018
609 posts
1166 upvotes
Canada
Snake13 wrote: Disabling your provider's WiFi is a good idea, as is going with a high-quality router / access point model.

I installed Ubiquiti about a year ago. I'd have to say, if you asked me in the first 3 months, I would have sung it's praises. But Ubiquiti's software/firmware patching issues, product support, and communication are in the dumps and I'd recommend avoiding until they get it together.

Unless you're an experienced network admin, I'd recommend going with something else.
Thanks Snake, I'll have to monitor RFD for deals on a quality router/ap that gets some good feedback.
Jun 14, 2008
487 posts
455 upvotes
Snake13 wrote: Disabling your provider's WiFi is a good idea, as is going with a high-quality router / access point model.

funtastic wrote: Thanks Snake, I'll have to monitor RFD for deals on a quality router/ap that gets some good feedback.
Google mesh wifi is on sale for 235$
Google WiFi - Mesh WiFi System - WiFi Router Replacement - 3 Pack https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08GG9CMLR/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

It’s simple and stable.
Dec 3, 2002
517 posts
44 upvotes
BC
johnnyAngel wrote: Tried with 3 agents. satisfied with $54 and $50 bill credit. I needed $0 mobile plan for my kids so. Seems Shaw mobile is better than Freedom in my area. North Surrey.
Got the $54 plan with $75 credit and two Mobile lines.
SIMs arrived quick after 1 day.
Was activating with an agent and they said the activation fee is now $30. Was it the same with you?