Expired Hot Deals

Shaw

Shaw Mobile 3GB $15 plan for existing Shaw internet customer YMMV (possible $10?)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2021 4:20 pm
[OP]
Member
Jul 7, 2004
393 posts
232 upvotes
cardero wrote: Was anyone without Shaw home Internet able to get this plan? Thanks.
It is impossible. Except maybe you work for SHAW.
1 x Fido 4GB Data Plan $0 and 1 x Shaw Talk/Text $0 ( Huawei Nova 5T dual sim )
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
3648 posts
7135 upvotes
$15 for 3GB is now an in market plan for anyone. Just got an email at work about it today. $20 if you decide not to do autopay

It’s not on the website for now but it can be activated in stores selling Shaw
Public Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2223 posts
1064 upvotes
NavieM wrote: $15 for 3GB is now an in market plan for anyone. Just got an email at work about it today. $20 if you decide not to do autopay

It’s not on the website for now but it can be activated in stores selling Shaw
I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw/Freedom only maintains their network now and won't do any more upgrading until the fate of the merger is announced.

I have been using Shaw for about 3 weeks now in Metro Vancouver, and I am quite disappointed with the service. I often roam onto Nationwide or don't have coverage. When I roam I can't get LTE only 3G but I get LTE otherwise. Many Rogers/Telus towers are "blacklisted" so you can't force your phone onto Nationwide unless you're not in your "Home" area. If it wasn't for the Shaw mobile credits on my account, I'd jump back to Fido or switch to Koodo.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14387 posts
4375 upvotes
VANCOUVER
NavieM wrote: $15 for 3GB is now an in market plan for anyone. Just got an email at work about it today. $20 if you decide not to do autopay

It’s not on the website for now but it can be activated in stores selling Shaw
When you say for anyone, do you mean anyone with Shaw home internet? Also, can you still activate this plan if you already have 6 of the $0 By the Gig plans?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
3648 posts
7135 upvotes
Rogido wrote: When you say for anyone, do you mean anyone with Shaw home internet? Also, can you still activate this plan if you already have 6 of the $0 By the Gig plans?
Yeah you need shaw home internet for any of their good plans.

Afaik 6 lines max so I’d say no unless somehow you can get shaw to allow more
Public Mobile customer
Newbie
Oct 10, 2012
6 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond
Just curious, for the people who've got onto the $10/15 3GB plan, did you have problems getting promos for home internet? I feel like because I have a few "discounted" lines on Shaw mobile, I'm getting shafted on home internet prices.

The only reason I tolerate the crappy reception on Shaw is because of the price. But they seem to think they're offering exceptional value to the users for their network.
Newbie
Dec 28, 2018
17 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
"The only reason I tolerate the crappy reception on Shaw is because of the price."

Shaw Mobile is Freedom Mobile rebranded. Nothing is new with their network.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw/Freedom only maintains their network now and won't do any more upgrading until the fate of the merger is announced."

I wouldn't be surprised either...

All their (Shaw/Freedom) 5G advertising seems to be hype and false advertising. They don't seem to have deep enough pockets to deploy a 5G network alone according to what has transpired recently between the Shaw & Rogers merger.

The Canadian Government, CRTC & Regulators should open the telecom industry to foreign players, and then we will see real competition here and much better pricing. No more price gouging from these guys, and will teach them a lesson or two.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2223 posts
1064 upvotes
chanaman wrote: Just curious, for the people who've got onto the $10/15 3GB plan, did you have problems getting promos for home internet? I feel like because I have a few "discounted" lines on Shaw mobile, I'm getting shafted on home internet prices.

The only reason I tolerate the crappy reception on Shaw is because of the price. But they seem to think they're offering exceptional value to the users for their network.
Actually, the two are separate departments. Neither CSR can dig into your internet or mobile account. Having said that, Shaw's customer service in my experience is now the sheets.

Some CSRs are looking forward to the merger happening (comforting lies instead of unpleasant truths) and remain as dedicated as ever. While others don't care. They're just doing their jobs to the bare minimum and often to less than minimum standards.

On another note, Shaw used to have 24/7 live person telephone tech support. That quietly disappeared to around 10 pm. If your internet or home phone goes down, you'd better have decent cell phone reception because that is the only way you can contact chat is by online text-based chat. Hearing them defend their actions is insulting.

At the end of the day, my impression of Shaw is that in general I'm paying more and getting less than what I used to.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12105 posts
14597 upvotes
Toronto
lotuslandbc wrote: "The only reason I tolerate the crappy reception on Shaw is because of the price."

Shaw Mobile is Freedom Mobile rebranded. Nothing is new with their network.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw/Freedom only maintains their network now and won't do any more upgrading until the fate of the merger is announced."

I wouldn't be surprised either...

All their (Shaw/Freedom) 5G advertising seems to be hype and false advertising. They don't seem to have deep enough pockets to deploy a 5G network alone according to what has transpired recently between the Shaw & Rogers merger.
Posted 6 days ago at iPhoneinCanada.ca

Shaw’s Freedom Mobile has informed its employees in a memo the company’s 5G network plans have been put on pause.

The reversal means all 5G merchandising material sent to stores earlier in April will need to be returned to the company’s warehouse.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/free ... rk-launch/
lotuslandbc wrote: The Canadian Government, CRTC & Regulators should open the telecom industry to foreign players, and then we will see real competition here and much better pricing. No more price gouging from these guys, and will teach them a lesson or two.
It is expensive to purchase spectrum and build a network. A larger foreign telecom company would prefer to merge with or buy an existing Canadian telecom company.

from https://financialpost.com/opinion/teren ... attlefield

"Some say Canada needs to open its telco market to foreign companies. Ottawa once tried to lure U.S. giant Verizon into Canada, but the company never made the move. Why would a foreign buyer come into a market that is already well-supplied with telecom services — unless such a company were to receive special regulatory treatment, essentially a subsidy? The foreign option might be different if the Canadian and U.S. telecom networks were integrated, then foreign takeovers might make sense. Witness the Canadian Pacific/Kansas City Southern railway network deal."
Destiny is all
[OP]
Member
Jul 7, 2004
393 posts
232 upvotes
In my opinion, Shaw/Freedom should spend their money continue to expand their network coverage areas and increase density of towers to improve reception in the cities. It is the principal of current Shaw cell network problem. Add 5G on top of current handicap network that won't make them become big 4th.
I don't mind Shaw merge to another smaller player like Videotron but absolutely not one of the BIG 3 like Robers. I had my cell line with Mobilicity before. They moved my line to Cheat-r and increased the plan fee after merged. I switched to Freedom right after that. Now Robers is around again.
1 x Fido 4GB Data Plan $0 and 1 x Shaw Talk/Text $0 ( Huawei Nova 5T dual sim )
Member
Sep 14, 2009
216 posts
368 upvotes
Anyone else getting charged an extra $5 for voicemail?
Doesn't make this as hot. When I can go $25 and don't have to worry about data
Newbie
Apr 22, 2008
48 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver
Didn't get charged for voicemail but I didn't upgrade my voicemail to voicemail+
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14387 posts
4375 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Has anyone tried to switch back to the $0 By The Gig Plan and was successful in doing so?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1004 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
jimchang wrote: Anyone else getting charged an extra $5 for voicemail?
Doesn't make this as hot. When I can go $25 and don't have to worry about data
What plan/carrier is 25$ unlimited data?
Member
Sep 14, 2009
216 posts
368 upvotes
Pharmer wrote: What plan/carrier is 25$ unlimited data?
I meant I personally don't have to worry about data if I jumped to the 25gb for $25 that has vm. Vs the $15 for 3gb plus $5 for vm total $20.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14387 posts
4375 upvotes
VANCOUVER
jimchang wrote: Anyone else getting charged an extra $5 for voicemail?
Doesn't make this as hot. When I can go $25 and don't have to worry about data
I have not been charged for Voicemail.
Member
May 20, 2008
294 posts
292 upvotes
Calgary
I think you’ve chosen voicemail+ (store 50 messages), it’s $5. Regular voicemail (store 5 messages) is included in this plan

Details here:
https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/add-ons

The 25GB plan does include voicemail+

Visual voicemail for $4 would store unlimited in your phone.

If you have GB internet $25 for 25GB is a great deal though.
TELUS Mobility | Unlimited 25GB | 7x$30-$5x3 loyalty for 24mths-$15x7 M&H for 24mths | M+H Unlimited CAN-US calling, Unlimited CAN-Int'l Text, VVM all for $0/line | $0 Peace of Mind Connect for AppleWatch | $0 Peace of Mind Access - Tablet x2
Newbie
May 6, 2013
52 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
sheyenne wrote: Actually, the two are separate departments. Neither CSR can dig into your internet or mobile account. Having said that, Shaw's customer service in my experience is now the sheets.
I called in a week after the 3gb for $10 intro plan ended to renew my internet and told the internet rep I would only do it if I could get the 3 for 10 mobile plan and I got the same canned response about seperate departments but in the end I did get it for 2 lines without ever talking to a mobile csr so it can be done. Got 2 sims in the mail a few days later and activated at that price with no problems and an activation discount to boot.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2223 posts
1064 upvotes
darryldmbcgt wrote: I called in a week after the 3gb for $10 intro plan ended to renew my internet and told the internet rep I would only do it if I could get the 3 for 10 mobile plan and I got the same canned response about seperate departments but in the end I did get it for 2 lines without ever talking to a mobile csr so it can be done. Got 2 sims in the mail a few days later and activated at that price with no problems and an activation discount to boot.
I'm going to assume they probably sent the info over to the other department. I spoke with Shaw's Office of the President recently who maintained their position about the sections being separate. In fact, I was dealing with two OoP staff: one from the mobile side and the other from tv and internet.

Top