• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2021 1:00 am
[OP]
Oct 7, 2017
711 posts
1169 upvotes

[Shaw] Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

Source: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/shaw ... ited-plan/

$45/25GB for main line, and the interesting thing is you can add up to 6 lines of unlimited nationwide talk/text FOR FREE. You can add data to those lines for $10 per GB.
As for the second part of Shaw Mobile—the most compelling—is for Shaw Internet customers to add up to six lines for free, which will include unlimited nationwide talk and text.

These free lines will have the option of purchasing data available at $10 for 1GB, as part of By The Gig plans. Unused data purchased for these lines will automatically rollover for up to 90 days. You can imagine this will be popular for families to get free phone lines for children and other family members.

Shaw Mobile will also have activation fees (like Freedom Mobile), priced at $20 per line. To sign up for Shaw Mobile, one needs to visit a Shaw retail location or over 120 locations of national retail partners in B.C. and Alberta, such as Walmart. You cannot sign up online for now.

The company says Shaw Mobile customers “will pay no data overages in Canada” when using Shaw and nationwide networks, while noting Wi-Fi Calling on compatible devices can be leveraged to make calls on Wi-Fi from anywhere in the world.
Images
  • shaw-mobile-4520gb-plan.jpeg
Last edited by ClarkZuckerberg on Jul 31st, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
https://www.shawmobile.ca

About Shaw Mobile
Shaw Mobile is currently available to customers in Alberta and British Columbia within our wireless coverage footprint. While we have network coverage available in Ontario, currently only customers located in Alberta and British Columbia can sign up for Shaw Mobile services.

Shaw Network Coverage Map

Shaw Mobile Discount Eligibility

Shaw Mobile Support - help articles

Plan options - unlimited or roll-over data
Phone options - interest-free financing, subsidies

BYOD Device Compatibility - for enhanced services
Shaw supports VoLTE, WiFi Calling (global), eSIM, RCS messaging

--
3G voice calls require UMTS Band 4 (AWS 1700/2100).
Shaw LTE bands: B66, B4, B7, B13 (B71 to come).
Access to B13 ('Extended Range LTE') requires a VoLTE-capable phone.
You need both for an optimal network experience and reliable calls, and B66 for data bandwidth.
Use the Enhanced Services Device Compatibility List as your phone guide.
[troubleshooting VoLTE - same steps for Shaw]
1349 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12517 posts
21018 upvotes
Whoa now that’s hot . Too bad am in ON lol
Apr 28, 2019
115 posts
77 upvotes
If only this was in Ontario.

Is it possible to travel to AB for this deal and have an AB phone number then come back to ON? As long as the service is consistent in ON too.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12517 posts
21018 upvotes
deals1112 wrote: If only this was in Ontario.

Is it possible to travel to AB for this deal and have an AB phone number then come back to ON? As long as the service is consistent in ON too.
It’s for Shaw internet customers , it’s not like the Koodo thing .
Apr 7, 2014
69 posts
26 upvotes
ON
stephroll wrote: It’s for Shaw internet customers , it’s not like the Koodo thing .
Shaw services parts of Ontario
Sep 21, 2019
122 posts
245 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: Do you know what network they use?
AWS Freedom they own it. Have come a long way
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1521 posts
1540 upvotes
Ragas321 wrote: AWS Freedom they own it. Have come a long way
I am with koodo and have no issues, even in remote/mountain areas. Freedom was no good when I tried 4-5 years ago.

I like this as it forces the others to offer a better price/service.
Feb 3, 2012
142 posts
92 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Dang MB gets left out again. We used to have one of the cheapest cell phone plan rates in all of Canada now we are probably the most expensive
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12827 posts
2172 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Hmm, from what I see, you don't need a $45 Unlimited main line. As long as you are a "Shaw Fibre+ Internet" customer, you can get the "$0 by the Gig" lines.

"2. $0 By The Gig
Shaw Fibre+ Internet customers are eligible to receive a $15 credit per month on the $15 By The Gig plan.
"
- https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans
Sep 21, 2019
122 posts
245 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: I am with koodo and have no issues, even in remote/mountain areas. Freedom was no good when I tried 4-5 years ago.

I like this as it forces the others to offer a better price/service.
Koodo operates on the Bellus Networks (Pretty much shared between the two across the country) so I imagine it wouldn't have any issues operating on the larger networks.

Wind rebranding to freedom happened when Shaw bought them out to enter the cellular market. Not sure if they were still Wind when you tried them out but they have made a bunch of progress in service. Just not customer service which is outsourced to the Philippines and all they say is sorry and have no answers Confused Face. I made the switch to Rogers for 20gb 50/month beginning of this year bill is only higher about 10/month but less headaches with customer service Winking Face
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2058 posts
1490 upvotes
This is absolutely amazing!!! $0/mo for unlimited talk and text is bless, but not so much with the $20 activation fee.

Wonder if they’ll waive the activation fee eventually and allow online sign ups... A lot of people would jump on free phone service if there’s upfront fee or monthly fee at all!
Sep 10, 2018
290 posts
1230 upvotes
Do I care?
What you save in mobile, you pay in home internet. Maximum value for free plan is $8.25 a month (freedom $99/yr)
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1521 posts
1540 upvotes
Ragas321 wrote: Koodo operates on the Bellus Networks (Pretty much shared between the two across the country) so I imagine it wouldn't have any issues operating on the larger networks.

Wind rebranding to freedom happened when Shaw bought them out to enter the cellular market. Not sure if they were still Wind when you tried them out but they have made a bunch of progress in service. Just not customer service which is outsourced to the Philippines and all they say is sorry and have no answers Confused Face. I made the switch to Rogers for 20gb 50/month beginning of this year bill is only higher about 10/month but less headaches with customer service Winking Face
Thanks for the explanation :).

Here is the link: https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans? ... 7466963122

My only concern is this 2Gb data limit, will have to do some research where the 25th Gb applies. $55 for the line and 2 GB for CA, US & mexico. Is pretty good.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10590 posts
967 upvotes
Vancouver
For those who don't know, Shaw Mobile uses a combination of your Shaw home internet, its Shaw Go Wifi network, and Freedom Mobile's LTE network to provide coverage. That's why it's BC/AB only.
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
Nov 21, 2009
854 posts
240 upvotes
Calgary
Lol you need their gig internet service which is $100 a month minimum with no promotions.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1207 posts
972 upvotes
Ottawa
ssy080 wrote: Lol you need their gig internet service which is $100 a month minimum with no promotions.
Sure, but for someone who has multiple BYOD lines and doesn't need much or any data, the overall price might be worth it. Most people would be paying $25+ per talk/text line, and here they'd get them included in their home internet package

Their device prices seem pretty high, though.

Edit: Their press release indicates that these plans will be available without a bundle at "market rate" as well. Right now, they're just launching to existing Fibre+ customers.
While the biggest savings come from bundling Shaw’s wireless and internet services, Shaw Mobile is also available as a standalone product at market rate.
Last edited by Dynatos on Jul 30th, 2020 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9659 posts
62570 upvotes
Ontario
Now, hopefully the big 3 WILL actually LISTEN to the government and reduce it by 25% of their current prices.

Our government looks at their sub brands to reduce by 25% instead of the big 3.