Expired Hot Deals

Shaw

Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 11:44 am
Dec 25, 2019
124 posts
109 upvotes
Rogido wrote: It's not really "if you don't travel much or go anywhere far from home" per se. If I live in Vancouver, but travel all the time to Toronto, Montreal, and other major cities, I'd still be pretty much ok. I just can't venture beyond the metro areas too often, or else I would eat up the 2GB Nationwide data limit. Their terminology is a little misleading. If I drove from my home in Vancouver to Chilliwack, I would be entering into "Nationwide" territory.
The $0 plan With 1gb add on is good for kids aged 12-16. Effectively will save about $500 a year a kid is my calculation. Just give them my hand me down phone. No way my kid is getting an unlimited plan on my dime.
Dec 25, 2019
124 posts
109 upvotes
Rogido wrote: Really, is that true? The $45 will only hold for 2 years?
From what I understand a change in price of the cell plan is tied to a change in your internet service and not for a length of time. As long as you keep your qualifying internet package you can keep the cell phone discount. The moment you change your internet package, you would be subject to published cell discounts at the time of change.
Dec 29, 2017
28 posts
6 upvotes
my understand is that what you get from internet service is a discount on mobile plan price, so basically they can bump up the base price of mobile plan to change your ultimate monthly rate.
Dec 25, 2019
124 posts
109 upvotes
orveas wrote: So if i have this figured out.
$10 gives me 1 gig for 90 days plus unlimited talk text Canada wide.
For me it would last the 90 days so I am looking at $3 per month.
And some are saying this isn't a good deal??
Even my PM is $13 per month but only 100 minutes.
I have Shaw internet anyway so that doesn't enter into the equation.
Just might be the best ever deal on RFD.
Okay, there might be a catch somewhere.
I don’t think it’s $3 a month on average. You get to carry the gb of date forward for 90 days. So in the 3rd month of the package you could use 3gb of data assuming you didn’t use any the previous 2 months, but your paying $10 a month.
Aug 27, 2015
95 posts
41 upvotes
Sherwood Park
I have an old phone and Shaw 300. If I got the $0 text/talk only plan for my son, can I opt out of the 1GB/$10 data and just leave it as a talk/text only line? Or are you forced to have active data and just try not to use it?

It would be good for him to have contact home when he is out, but I don't want him to have the ability to chew up data and auto bill me for it :p
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2015
1068 posts
1219 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
peakingduck wrote: Hey there when did you call in? I called in first week of July and was quoted $75. Did you speak to retentions? Thanks
I called in around April..
I just was like, "hey man.. my internet plan went up and I'm having a hard time justifying the costs. I can bump my data plan for enough data to cover my home usage for another $40, is there anything you can do for me to save me the effort of tethering my home to my phone every day?"
There wasn't anyone specific. Then they went ahead and renewed one of the $20 discounts I had on my existing plan.
That sort of is what I do every time. Doesn't hurt that I call Shaw probably 4x a year for internet speed problems either.. though mind you Telus is canvasing my building to install fiber so we'll see how long this lasts...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2380 posts
2497 upvotes
Surrey
Bedman71 wrote: I don’t think it’s $3 a month on average. You get to carry the gb of date forward for 90 days. So in the 3rd month of the package you could use 3gb of data assuming you didn’t use any the previous 2 months, but your paying $10 a month.
No, it’s a $10 pass that lasts for 3 months. That means the 1GB would carry over for up to 3 months, with no additional data/charge per month.
So basically it would be about $3 a month if you need only 1GB for 90 days.

https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/add-ons
Dec 25, 2019
124 posts
109 upvotes
Canuck38 wrote: I have an old phone and Shaw 300. If I got the $0 text/talk only plan for my son, can I opt out of the 1GB/$10 data and just leave it as a talk/text only line? Or are you forced to have active data and just try not to use it?

It would be good for him to have contact home when he is out, but I don't want him to have the ability to chew up data and auto bill me for it :p
I think I read somewhere that you can cap data consumption somehow. I hope that’s the case. Not sure if that’s a $50 cap like the CRTC mandates. Rogers has gotten me several times with data overage when my son has streamed video when the WiFi has been turned off on a phone that’s rarely used. I’ve asked them to shut the data off as soon as the package allowance is used but they can’t or won’t do it. It pisses me off cause it’s to their advantage financially to allow package overages. At least the $50 limit offers some protection. Although a simple acknowledgement in a Rogers text will allow the overage to continue. Hopefully Shaw is different in this regard. Gone are the days of $15,000 date overage fees at least: 15-000-one-week-rogers-iphone-bill-possible-682823/
Dec 25, 2019
124 posts
109 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: No, it’s a $10 pass that lasts for 3 months. That means the 1GB would carry over for up to 3 months, with no additional data/charge per month.
So basically it would be about $3 a month if you need only 1GB for 90 days.

https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/add-ons
So you just add this on per use basis? It’s not recurring? It will be hard to pace a gb of data over a 3 month period. I guess In theory $3 a month is possible.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1267 posts
508 upvotes
Victoria
Well. I didn't think I'd regret getting a large subdsidy on bloated retail price phone on Koodo ($240 for a Pixel 3a) as I figured $35/5g would be good for the long haul... but here we are. My wife typically uses <1gb a month. I could have dropped that plan from $35 a month to $3-$10/mo depending on how much data used each month. It STILL might be worth the payout out of the $385 tab bonus... even if I ended up paying $10 every month for 1gb of data, that's still only 15 months to payoff the full tab bonus. Less than the 23 months left! More like 8 months since she usually doesn't go over 500mb. It's a no brainer for the kids plans at $15 with no data, and $21 ($25-4) for a PM 1gb plan where about 100mb gets used on average. Of course it will force me to negotiate a reasonable home internet plan with Shaw every 2 years, but it's usually not too hard around black Friday (assuming I'm not too lazy to do it).

Likely I'll try it out with the Koodo prepaid $15 -15% 100min voice / text plan first to validate the coverage in Victoria. The coverage is the only questionable factor, but likely going to save this family a reasonable amount of $$$.
Jul 3, 2020
55 posts
20 upvotes
I went to the Shaw retail store today in Metrotown and they said that the plan is month by month. The "two year contract" only applies to the tab portion where you'll be billed the entire amount if you opt out. Therefore, you can cancel your plan at any time. Also, not everyone is immediately eligible for 6 lines. They perform a credit check to see how many lines you're eligible for and the type of phone you can purchase on tab. For me, I was eligible for up to 3 lines and a tab of up to $1,600 (meaning I could purchase phones where the tab did not exceed $1,600 over 2 years). Also, once you cancel your Shaw internet/cable, you lose your $45/month plan and get kicked up to $85. They didn't know how long the promotion would be valid for and also, 5G speeds are on the way.
Jun 9, 2013
327 posts
130 upvotes
Edmonton
Called Koodo and got discounts and a couple GB's for my lines because of this. Now pay 40/10 & 25/3 and I think I coulda got more out of loyalty if I persisted. Bless Shaw for introducing a bit of competition
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1598 upvotes
Nasdel wrote: Called Koodo and got discounts and a couple GB's for my lines because of this. Now pay 40/10 & 25/3 and I think I coulda got more out of loyalty if I persisted. Bless Shaw for introducing a bit of competition
I am on $50/8 gb plan, will call koodo tomorrow for more data/discounts.
Last edited by Bubblegum86 on Jul 31st, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5169 upvotes
Canada
The real deal is the possibility of getting six $0 unlimited talk/text by the gig lines.

This is game changing for low usage (1-3GB/mo) folks like parents, grandparents, kids, secondary lines etc. Plus it is rollover data.

- by the gig data is nationwide! No zones
- you can get plans like $10 1GB unlimited talk/text or $20 2GB.

Freedom offered a similar 1GB $10 plan and it was hugely popular. However freedom data was limited to zones and you could only get 1 line/account. Shaw has removed both those restrictions (data is now nationwide and you can get 6 lines PLUS rollover data!)

The ability to add really cheap mobile plans to your home Internet is a newish concept for Canada and I hope it catches on. I don't think Telus will offer $10-15 1gb plans directly to their Internet customers, it will dilute their business too much. But maybe through public mobile, we will see plans like $15 1GB
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2380 posts
2497 upvotes
Surrey
GrandAdmiralThrawn wrote: wish i could pay $25 for 10GB
Wouldn’t we all. I’m paying about $40 for 9GB on one line and $26 for 500 MB on another with Fido. Will call to see if they can do anything better.
Sep 10, 2018
458 posts
1680 upvotes
Do I care?
To figure out good and bad, I got a $0 line. Long story short, I won't be keeping it after internet is over in a few months.

1. Maximum value of this freebie is $8.25/mo. I anticipate internet won't be competitive by this amount when current rate is over. You can make this similar to PM$13 plan using add on ($10/90days). Value in this case is $9.23/mo in my area. I doubt my internet will be $10 more than next competitor. Even if I get two lines, I have doubts Shaw will match $20 over TPIA.
2. There is no way to block accidental charges. US calling (missing an area code by a digit) gives absolutely no warning that I'm about to be charged. International calling is turned off and US isn't filtered this way.
3. Lots of features are missing compared to Freedom portal. Porting in, changing number, call forwarding on/off, change SIM, change plan. There's nowhere to even change a PIN. Everything has to be done via chat and I value my time
4. At the end of day, whether Shaw will renew at $50 or less for at least 75Mbps internet will decide the outcome. I have a feeling Shaw will use wireless as bargaining chip and might get stingier with internet renewal.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2380 posts
2497 upvotes
Surrey
LULUMON wrote: To figure out good and bad, I got a $0 line. Long story short, I won't be keeping it after internet is over in a few months.

1. Maximum value of this freebie is $8.25/mo. I anticipate internet won't be competitive by this amount when current rate is over. You can make this similar to PM$13 plan using add on ($10/90days). Value in this case is $9.23/mo in my area. I doubt my internet will be $10 more than next competitor. Even if I get two lines, I have doubts Shaw will match $20 over TPIA.
2. There is no way to block accidental charges. US calling (missing an area code by a digit) gives absolutely no warning that I'm about to be charged. International calling is turned off and US isn't filtered this way.
3. Lots of features are missing compared to Freedom portal. Porting in, changing number, call forwarding on/off, change SIM, change plan. There's nowhere to even change a PIN. Everything has to be done via chat and I value my time
4. At the end of day, whether Shaw will renew at $50 or less for at least 75Mbps internet will decide the outcome. I have a feeling Shaw will use wireless as bargaining chip and might get stingier with internet renewal.
Btw, how are people getting this $13 PM plan? I only see plans starting from $15, and unlimited talk starts for $25. What am I missing here?
Last edited by henrik112 on Jul 31st, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1373 posts
694 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: Btw, how are people getting this $13 PM plan? I only see plans starting from $15, and unlimited talk starts for $25. What Anu I missing here?
$2 autopay credit
Nov 15, 2007
681 posts
205 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: Btw, how are people getting this $13 PM plan? I only see plans starting from $15, and unlimited talk starts for $25. What Anu I missing here?
There is a $2 autopay discount.
Public Mobile + Fido 3GB Tablet Plan

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)