Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 11:44 am
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2340 posts
2468 upvotes
Surrey
gzlwl wrote: There is a $2 autopay discount.
But that still would be $23 for unlimited talk and text, wouldn’t it?
Nov 21, 2011
712 posts
134 upvotes
CALGARY
Too bad $0 plans don’t include unlimited internet (slow ) speeds once the rollover data is used ? I.e after you used your purchased data (full speed) it goes to unlimited (slow) speeds (like freedom and big 3 on all other plans)

Also, no current postings on current Shaw mobile site for customers that don’t currently have Shaw home internet. It would sure make it EASY to switch.
100$/m isn’t a deal
Last edited by calgaryleb on Jul 31st, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1598 upvotes
Nasdel wrote: Called Koodo and got discounts and a couple GB's for my lines because of this. Now pay 40/10 & 25/3 and I think I coulda got more out of loyalty if I persisted. Bless Shaw for introducing a bit of competition
Called koodo and they would not give more data or reduce price for me. However he said no penalty for leaving koodo, just pay tab and for the month. Strange as I just got the phone last Christmas (2 year).
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14384 posts
4373 upvotes
VANCOUVER
LULUMON wrote: To figure out good and bad, I got a $0 line. Long story short, I won't be keeping it after internet is over in a few months.

1. Maximum value of this freebie is $8.25/mo. I anticipate internet won't be competitive by this amount when current rate is over. You can make this similar to PM$13 plan using add on ($10/90days). Value in this case is $9.23/mo in my area. I doubt my internet will be $10 more than next competitor. Even if I get two lines, I have doubts Shaw will match $20 over TPIA.
2. There is no way to block accidental charges. US calling (missing an area code by a digit) gives absolutely no warning that I'm about to be charged. International calling is turned off and US isn't filtered this way.
3. Lots of features are missing compared to Freedom portal. Porting in, changing number, call forwarding on/off, change SIM, change plan. There's nowhere to even change a PIN. Everything has to be done via chat and I value my time
4. At the end of day, whether Shaw will renew at $50 or less for at least 75Mbps internet will decide the outcome. I have a feeling Shaw will use wireless as bargaining chip and might get stingier with internet renewal.
Don't you turn call-forwarding on and off from the phone?
Dec 12, 2003
320 posts
128 upvotes
Richmond
Not sure if anyone asked this already. But if we have a dual sim phone, can we run this for free calls and sms, while using the fido tablet sim for data?
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14384 posts
4373 upvotes
VANCOUVER
guitar_pic wrote: Not sure if anyone asked this already. But if we have a dual sim phone, can we run this for free calls and sms, while using the fido tablet sim for data?
Yes, if your dual sim phone has the required frequency bands.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1661 posts
441 upvotes
dealwithit88 wrote: I went to the Shaw retail store today in Metrotown and they said that the plan is month by month.
Considering we have to go to the store to get this deal and there are not a lot of them around do you think the staff are well prepared to deal with the potential influx of people based on your experience yesterday? They will port numbers from other carriers in store?

I wish you could do this via their website.
Nov 15, 2007
681 posts
205 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: But that still would be $23 for unlimited talk and text, wouldn’t it?
Yes, $23 unlimited talk and text plus 1gb data. The mentioned $13 plan is 100 min talk unlimited incoming and text plus 250mb data.
Public Mobile + Fido 3GB Tablet Plan
Jun 18, 2017
695 posts
528 upvotes
Now that I think about this it’s a win win for Shaw. Take a bit of a loss on these plan discounts to ensure the customer stays on the internet and cable side. I know people who switch back and fourth between Shaw and Telus to get the new customer rates on cable and internet. Since you cell discount is based on staying with Shaw these people won’t go back and fourth anymore so Shaw gets to keep making money on that side of the business too.
Nov 30, 2007
821 posts
169 upvotes
Vancouver
So this will just be freedom with a different name?

I live in walnut grove and am sick of freedom. I get no service ever and am having to pay for public because I’m still locked into a freedom contract and they’re being obtuse trying to get the situation resolved to any satisfaction.

I need a solution that will actually provide me decent coverage. But if this just is freedom with a different name, there’s no point.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1186 posts
1553 upvotes
Homer001 wrote: Now that I think about this it’s a win win for Shaw. Take a bit of a loss on these plan discounts to ensure the customer stays on the internet and cable side. I know people who switch back and fourth between Shaw and Telus to get the new customer rates on cable and internet. Since you cell discount is based on staying with Shaw these people won’t go back and fourth anymore so Shaw gets to keep making money on that side of the business too.
I would agree that the likely objective for offering a free talk and text mobile plan is to reduce churn. How many new subscribers they pick-up is a bonus.
Last edited by flyjazz on Jul 31st, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 2, 2003
231 posts
12 upvotes
apologies if this has been answered - what happens when you cancel shaw internet after signing up to shaw mobile? I might be switching over to telus in Sep
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2009
1003 posts
9857 upvotes
Vancouver
taco wrote: apologies if this has been answered - what happens when you cancel shaw internet after signing up to shaw mobile? I might be switching over to telus in Sep
From what I have read, your plan will lose its promotion and go back to $85.00/mth.
Last edited by soludsnake on Jul 31st, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1598 upvotes
taco wrote: apologies if this has been answered - what happens when you cancel shaw internet after signing up to shaw mobile? I might be switching over to telus in Sep
You might want to verify with Shaw but I believe you loose your bundle discount and it goes up to $85 (from $45)
Dec 13, 2019
898 posts
812 upvotes
Rogido wrote: It's not really "if you don't travel much or go anywhere far from home" per se. If I live in Vancouver, but travel all the time to Toronto, Montreal, and other major cities, I'd still be pretty much ok. I just can't venture beyond the metro areas too often, or else I would eat up the 2GB Nationwide data limit. Their terminology is a little misleading. If I drove from my home in Vancouver to Chilliwack, I would be entering into "Nationwide" territory.
That's exactly what I meant and you illustrated that perfectly in your post. Anywhere beyond the central metropolitan areas and you'll lose so much service it's nothing but a fancy brick in your pocket. Their infrastructure just isn't there yet -- not at this point in time -- and it took forever for the Big 3 to even get decent coverage and even some coverage beyond the metropolitan areas. 5G is even worse as demonstrated in some online videos of where you face in relation to the antenna and how far away are you can make a huge difference between dial-up service and 5G faster-than-home-internet service. 5G will involve some very intense investing and building in local infrastructure as they will need to build what is essentially a mesh network since the signal penetration is so low and signal attenuation is part and parcel of the shorter 5G wavelength (you can't beat the laws of physics).

I remember a long time ago, when we were driving up island to Nanaimo, my cousin's phone (on Fido) had no service, and my phone (on Rogers) had 1 bar of service before Fido became part of Rogers.
Why settle for full retail price when you can wait and get it at a lower price for better value (even better if there's a bundled freebies deal)? 😉
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5168 upvotes
Canada
LesDeals wrote: Anywhere beyond the central metropolitan areas and you'll lose so much service it's nothing but a fancy brick in your pocket.
This isn't true at all. This plan includes unlimited talk/text and 2gb data on big3 networks when you are outside Shaw network
Jul 28, 2009
121 posts
123 upvotes
Surrey
Will i be able to signup a $0 plan without the main line @ $45?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1952 posts
1406 upvotes
Calgary
Who actually has the shaw fiber+?
seems overpriced?
My Shaw 600 mbps I don't think qualifies?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2612 posts
1578 upvotes
Etobicoke
tokyokam88 wrote: Will i be able to signup a $0 plan without the main line @ $45?
My cousin has Shaw home internet and he just signed up for 2 $0 talk and text plan. There is $20 line activation for each line.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2340 posts
2468 upvotes
Surrey
tokyokam88 wrote: Will i be able to signup a $0 plan without the main line @ $45?
Yes, as long as you have an eligible home Shaw Internet plan. The $45 plan isn’t as good of a deal as it may look like imo, but the talk and text one is.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)