Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 11:44 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5169 upvotes
Canada
LesDeals wrote: That's generally the case where the infrastructure isn't in place for them like the case of the smaller players like Freedom Mobile, Public Mobile when they first started up. It was smart of Shaw to negotiate deals that piggyback on the Big 3's infrastructure so their customers will still have coverage beyond their core network. The downside is if there are any dead zones of that 3rd party provider, Shaw Mobile's customers will experience the same thing... unless Shaw signed multiple deals with the Big 3 to ensure coverage, but that's not a cheap solution either since Shaw will have to pay them each month for access to their network. If the towers do get busy, Shaw Mobile's customers could momentarily lose service or experience intermittent service drops as the Big 3 will prioritize their own customers.
Shaw/freedom can roam on all of big3 networks + sasktel. Anytime you are outside Shaw home zone, you have access to big3 networks included in your plan
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3908 posts
1232 upvotes
Calgary
RFDQ1016 wrote: Shaw/freedom can roam on all of big3 networks + sasktel. Anytime you are outside Shaw home zone, you have access to big3 networks included in your plan
Text and call roam seamlessly but not data. Anybody knows why? Rogers when roaming to Telus or Bell is seamless with all including data
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1138 posts
764 upvotes
Amourek wrote: For those who don't know, Shaw Mobile uses a combination of your Shaw home internet, its Shaw Go Wifi network, and Freedom Mobile's LTE network to provide coverage. That's why it's BC/AB only.
That explains why they were pushing Shaw blue curve internet. It wouldn't surprise me if the Shaw blue curve modem was still accepting and receiving Shaw Go Wifi data even if it were disabled. Can never trust these scumbag telecom companies in North America.
Dec 30, 2013
91 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
On the $0 plan, did anyone get the "Welcome Promo 1 GB Shaw Nationwide Rollover Data"?
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11578 posts
98909 upvotes
Ontario
IEpicDestroyer wrote: To be honest, I rather they not. If they don’t, mandatory wholesale MVNO rates set by the government should come out.

What’s the big 3 going to do? Go out of business?!
seems like the government is listening to the big 3. Just like the Huawei scandal
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Costco |May 30 - June 26| 93 pics| 1 month promo
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5169 upvotes
Canada
casperr wrote: Text and call roam seamlessly but not data. Anybody knows why? Rogers when roaming to Telus or Bell is seamless with all including data
Because big 3 refuse to do so. It was brought up a lot of times during the CRTC hearings
Jun 18, 2017
708 posts
541 upvotes
casperr wrote: Text and call roam seamlessly but not data. Anybody knows why? Rogers when roaming to Telus or Bell is seamless with all including data
I was working in Regina for a few months and my freedom connected to roaming for everything including data on its own. Didn’t have any issues in Banff area either, it went from home to away and back with no issues
Jun 15, 2020
15 posts
14 upvotes
burungkakak wrote: Freedom mobile supports eSim. An earlier post indicated Shaw supports eSim.
I was told in-store today that they don't have eSIM yet.
Not sure if this is just due to lack of initial supply or what.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
7312 posts
7132 upvotes
Calgary
blackrose3 wrote: I was told in-store today that they don't have eSIM yet.
Not sure if this is just due to lack of initial supply or what.
They told me coming soon.
Oct 27, 2016
462 posts
1293 upvotes
Was able to signup for 5 lines (was eligible for 6) with Shaw Internet 300 (all $0 ones of course)

Took about 30 minutes to wait in line, and another hour for everything to be setup

I would recommend logging into your Shaw Mobile account afterwards and disabling irrelevant add-ons (international roaming, etc.)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
7312 posts
7132 upvotes
Calgary
FragmentsOfLife wrote: Was able to signup for 5 lines (was eligible for 6) with Shaw Internet 300 (all $0 ones of course)

Took about 30 minutes to wait in line, and another hour for everything to be setup

I would recommend logging into your Shaw Mobile account afterwards and disabling irrelevant add-ons (international roaming, etc.)
20$ to activate each one?
Mar 31, 2018
216 posts
223 upvotes
Just to be sure. We don't have cell coverage at the house but do have Shaw internet plus phone.
It appears my Pixel 3a would work through wifi?
If so, it would mean that I would finally have cell service at the house!
Hesitate to switch from PM but it sure is starting to tempt me.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14440 posts
4413 upvotes
VANCOUVER
orveas wrote: Just to be sure. We don't have cell coverage at the house but do have Shaw internet plus phone.
It appears my Pixel 3a would work through wifi?
If so, it would mean that I would finally have cell service at the house!
Hesitate to switch from PM but it sure is starting to tempt me.
You still would not have cell coverage in your house, if you meant you house doesn't get cell signal.
Oct 27, 2016
462 posts
1293 upvotes
Rogido wrote: You still would not have cell coverage in your house, if you meant you house doesn't get cell signal.
Most likely OP is referring to WiFi calling
Jul 27, 2016
242 posts
156 upvotes
victoria
just signed up , but it turns out my devices are not compatible p20 pro, p20, even tried my old moto Zplay. it seems their statement of most devices are compatible is misleading. rep on phone said you need a near flagship phone, or one that is very new. bands 4 were not enough, even though it sees the network.
Dec 25, 2019
124 posts
109 upvotes
LULUMON wrote: To figure out good and bad, I got a $0 line. Long story short, I won't be keeping it after internet is over in a few months.

1. Maximum value of this freebie is $8.25/mo. I anticipate internet won't be competitive by this amount when current rate is over. You can make this similar to PM$13 plan using add on ($10/90days). Value in this case is $9.23/mo in my area. I doubt my internet will be $10 more than next competitor. Even if I get two lines, I have doubts Shaw will match $20 over TPIA.
2. There is no way to block accidental charges. US calling (missing an area code by a digit) gives absolutely no warning that I'm about to be charged. International calling is turned off and US isn't filtered this way.
3. Lots of features are missing compared to Freedom portal. Porting in, changing number, call forwarding on/off, change SIM, change plan. There's nowhere to even change a PIN. Everything has to be done via chat and I value my time
4. At the end of day, whether Shaw will renew at $50 or less for at least 75Mbps internet will decide the outcome. I have a feeling Shaw will use wireless as bargaining chip and might get stingier with internet renewal.
I get that internet can be had cheaper elsewhere. Is your savings calculated on being a cord cutter? What do you do for cable?
Oct 26, 2015
183 posts
53 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Just in case someone is with Telus and looking to get a better deal, they won't be able to match the Shaw offer at this point. I would try again in like a month or so. (They gave me a cheaper monthly plan than what I currently have with more data though!)
Dec 25, 2019
124 posts
109 upvotes
Squeeky wrote: Considering we have to go to the store to get this deal and there are not a lot of them around do you think the staff are well prepared to deal with the potential influx of people based on your experience yesterday? They will port numbers from other carriers in store?

I wish you could do this via their website.
I did it at Chinook Centre Calgary today. I was 3rd in line when I got there. There were 4 agents helping customers. The staff seemed well trained although the whole process took longer than expected.