Shaw

Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 11:44 am
Dec 30, 2013
91 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
How much does Shaw/Freedom charge for the sim card?
Sep 16, 2015
566 posts
1127 upvotes
Calgary, AB
LULUMON wrote: What you save in mobile, you pay in home internet. Maximum value for free plan is $8.25 a month (freedom $99/yr)
This is a good deal for people who already subscribe to Shaw home internet. Unfortunately, I live just outside Calgary and the only Shaw service offered to rural customers is satellite TV. Sigh.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2179 posts
1989 upvotes
Ottawa
dreamer101 wrote: How much does Shaw/Freedom charge for the sim card?
Shaw is charging $20/line for a connection fee. Presumably that includes the SIM.
May 24, 2008
551 posts
142 upvotes
Edmonton ish
But aren't most folks using data more and more and less chat? My three kids would cost me more than $50 per month on data alone each
Using the awesome Blackberry KEY2. & KeyOne. Used to have BlackBerry Passport SE, Z30, Z10, BOLD 9900, 9000, Playbook 36gb
Zoomer wireless 6gb for $40
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2407 posts
835 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote:

Our government looks at their sub brands to reduce by 25% instead of the big 3.
Exactly. And they did not realize that the Big 3 used 3G too in those sub brands. For one, I am happy to see those ridiculous PM deals and those "4G Lite" gone.
Sep 10, 2018
432 posts
1643 upvotes
Do I care?
jaybeeg wrote: This is a good deal for people who already subscribe to Shaw home internet. Unfortunately, I live just outside Calgary and the only Shaw service offered to rural customers is satellite TV. Sigh.
I subscribe to Shaw and it ain't a good deal with $8.25/mo value considered. For Talk/Text/Data plan, Freedom lineup gives extra credit towards device whereas Shaw plan don't. Did you think I was just downplaying without being a Shaw subscriber? I have done excel all this morning. Freedom offers $55/mo on home internet side + device subsidies on wireless side. Also TPIA + freedom works too.

Everyone is free to do their own math and I am simply responding to your blanket statement "it's a good deal for existing Shaw subscribers".
Sep 16, 2015
566 posts
1127 upvotes
Calgary, AB
andreid wrote: Exactly. And they did not realize that the Big 3 used 3G too in those sub brands. For one, I am happy to see those ridiculous PM deals and those "4G Lite" gone.
Public and Lucky use the standard LTE and LTE+ networks throttled at 3Mbps up/down. LTE has much lower latency than older protocols. My family has used Public's $23 plan for several years and it's fast enough for web, maps, email, social media and 720P YouTube.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
1486 posts
343 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I'm an internet 300 customer and I don't think I qualify unless I switch to their fibre+ 300 plan and lose my $70/24 months value plan rate. Good for those who are on the latest plan or willing to sign up full price as new customers though!
Jun 23, 2019
49 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary, AB
CyniC- wrote: I'm an internet 300 customer and I don't think I qualify unless I switch to their fibre+ 300 plan and lose my $70/24 months value plan rate. Good for those who are on the latest plan or willing to sign up full price as new customers though!
I'm in the same boat ($63 all in though); however my 2 years is almost up. I'm hoping I can renew it at the same price if possible, though highly unlikely.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2407 posts
835 upvotes
jaybeeg wrote: Public and Lucky use the standard LTE and LTE+ networks throttled at 3Mbps up/down. LTE has much lower latency than older protocols. My family has used Public's $23 plan for several years and it's fast enough for web, maps, email, social media and 720P YouTube.
Indeed it is thanks to people like you who fall for this nonsense that prices are not falling.

"Telus, which is not a member of the CWTA, said in a statement its brand Public Mobile offers 2-gigabyte and 4-gigabyte plans that surpass the government's pricing benchmark."

Read this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rogers ... -1.5667824
Banned
Jul 29, 2020
9 posts
44 upvotes
so no way to get this deal if you are in ON?
Sep 16, 2015
566 posts
1127 upvotes
Calgary, AB
andreid wrote: Indeed it is thanks to people like you who fall for this nonsense that prices are not falling.

"Telus, which is not a member of the CWTA, said in a statement its brand Public Mobile offers 2-gigabyte and 4-gigabyte plans that surpass the government's pricing benchmark."

Read this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rogers ... -1.5667824
You're not making any sense. It is not consumers' fault that the telecom industry is uncompetitive in Canada, that's completely on the shoulders of the telcos and the federal government.

I subscribe to the cheapest Big 3 cell plan with 1GB of data because it minimizes my expenses for a commodity product. I don't care if it's throttled; it works. You are welcome to pay more for basically the same thing.

By using for Public I save $277 per year. That's money that's not being handed to the Big 3 telcos which stays in my pocket.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1598 upvotes
First time in 55 years Alberta will receive more money from the federation then it paid. First time Alberta will have the cheapest cell phone plans?

What is happening here lol Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10579 posts
2449 upvotes
Victoria
I'm also on Shaw 300 right now. This plan looks tempting. Especially because I'm on the hunt for a new phone, and I can't get a deal on one at Koodo (no tabs available on our plans).

Hopefully they extend it to people with regular 300 and not just fibre 300. It's the same thing with a different name.

I'm also hesitant Because it'll work through Internet, I shouldn't have problems using it at home. 95% of the time I'd probably be fine, but I do travel around my Island from time to time. I don't think the coverage is that strong outside of Victoria?
Dec 11, 2010
13 posts
10 upvotes
Is this VoLTE? Wonder if Telus will compete?
Nov 10, 2015
102 posts
88 upvotes
Calgary
Sooo what if you're not a fibre plus customer, or it's not even available in your area? Also, this is a promotion. I wonder how long it will last. After that, it's pretty much the same as all the other carriers.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta
ssy080 wrote: Lol you need their gig internet service which is $100 a month minimum with no promotions.
Not so. Shaw Mobile is available at all Shaw Internet price points.
https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans

90-day data rollover is a feature of the $0/mo By The Gig plans ($10/GB).
May 3, 2015
164 posts
57 upvotes
BC
Is internet 300 now called Fibre+ 300?
Jun 23, 2019
49 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary, AB
zod wrote: I'm also on Shaw 300 right now. This plan looks tempting. Especially because I'm on the hunt for a new phone, and I can't get a deal on one at Koodo (no tabs available on our plans).

Hopefully they extend it to people with regular 300 and not just fibre 300. It's the same thing with a different name.

I'm also hesitant Because it'll work through Internet, I shouldn't have problems using it at home. 95% of the time I'd probably be fine, but I do travel around my Island from time to time. I don't think the coverage is that strong outside of Victoria?
My understanding is that you'll fall onto the Nationwide network which will probably be on the Roger's network (based on how Freedom currently works). You're also limited to 2GB of data on the Nationwide network as well (though it get's limited to 128kbps down and 64kbps up once you go over).