[Shaw] Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 8:49 am
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1521 posts
3883 upvotes
Pawtucket
SammyDavis wrote: Isn’t that the full price for an iPhone se? I guess if you like payment plans that’s ok.
Not sure what the going rate of the SE is but I wasn't really interested in it. He just told me that was the only one eligible for the free plan. But i agree with you, its not a good deal. Thats why I just went with the free plan only.
Oct 14, 2004
866 posts
207 upvotes
Victoria
redboy69 wrote: Was also told the $0 plan was eligible for a $0 iPhone SE on tab for $25/mon. for 24 months. All other devices required the $45 plan.
Interesting. $25x24 is retail price of $600. It just happens that also equates to $0 up front. When looking on the options on the Shaw mobile site, it seems you can actually pick any phone with the $0 plan, but you are also paying an up front cost plus a $25 per month x24 months to equal retail phone cost. So essentially an interest free loan (like other "tabs") of up to $600. If you select the $45 plan, you then get a subsidy, giving you a discount from retail. It looks like in all cases the up front is $0, but your monthly payback can go up considerably ($51 x24 for an Iphone 11 Pro Max for example). In this case, $295 discount from retail cost.
Feb 28, 2012
844 posts
1037 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote: Isn’t that the full price for an iPhone se? I guess if you like payment plans that’s ok.
Interest-free device financing on a $0/mo plan is definitely ok.
Aug 14, 2019
576 posts
273 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote: Big3 meeting this weekend to decide what to do (no collusion).
Maybe we will see something next week Winking Face
Let's hope so. I'm somewhat surprised they weren't aware of this and prepared.

I called Koodo and they couldn't give me a better loyalty plan than I have now.
Last edited by sheyenne on Aug 1st, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 14, 2019
576 posts
273 upvotes
We had Freedom for a few months last year and coverage was poor in Metro Vancouver. Speeds rarely reached 30 Mbps and wifi calling had issues while not connected to a Shaw access point. Just saying.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
8430 posts
49709 upvotes
Ontario
redboy69 wrote: Not sure what the going rate of the SE is but I wasn't really interested in it. He just told me that was the only one eligible for the free plan. But i agree with you, its not a good deal. Thats why I just went with the free plan only.
MikeyCanuck wrote: Interesting. $25x24 is retail price of $600. It just happens that also equates to $0 up front. When looking on the options on the Shaw mobile site, it seems you can actually pick any phone with the $0 plan, but you are also paying an up front cost plus a $25 per month x24 months to equal retail phone cost. So essentially an interest free loan (like other "tabs") of up to $600. If you select the $45 plan, you then get a subsidy, giving you a discount from retail. It looks like in all cases the up front is $0, but your monthly payback can go up considerably ($51 x24 for an Iphone 11 Pro Max for example). In this case, $295 discount from retail cost.
pjw918 wrote: Interest-free device financing on a $0/mo plan is definitely ok.
Basically, financing the phone in 24 months.
Jul 7, 2004
241 posts
75 upvotes
DominicL044247 wrote: just signed up , but it turns out my devices are not compatible p20 pro, p20, even tried my old moto Zplay. it seems their statement of most devices are compatible is misleading. rep on phone said you need a near flagship phone, or one that is very new. bands 4 were not enough, even though it sees the network.
I am also using P20 Pro. It was par with Freedom SIM card in the past 7 months without any problem. I just picked up a Shaw mobile SIM card at the Calgary Chinook store today for $0 Talk and Text plan. The Shaw mobile SIM card is also working fine with my P20 Pro as expected. P20 Pro has 3G B4 and LTE B4, B7.
I think it is your SIM card issue, Not your devices.
Last edited by net_essential on Aug 2nd, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 7, 2004
241 posts
75 upvotes
sneakerfan wrote: Does Shaw mobile use Freedom's network?
YES.
Shaw network = Freedom
Telus network = Koodo, Public, CMlink
Bell network = Virgin, Lucky
Rogers network = Fido, Chatr, 7-Eleven, Petro Canada, Cityfone, Zoomer
Last edited by net_essential on Aug 1st, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3626 posts
944 upvotes
Calgary
sheyenne wrote: We had Freedom for a few months last year and coverage was poor in Metro Vancouver. Speeds rarely reached 30 Mbps and wifi calling had issues while not connected to a Shaw access point. Just saying.
What is it that you cannot do with 30mbps on your mobile lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
5843 posts
4798 upvotes
Calgary
sheyenne wrote: We had Freedom for a few months last year and coverage was poor in Metro Vancouver. Speeds rarely reached 30 Mbps and wifi calling had issues while not connected to a Shaw access point. Just saying.
Can you imagine a world where instead of periods we all said "Just saying"?
Oct 26, 2010
316 posts
79 upvotes
Langley
Just sign up with 4 lines With $0 plan @The mobile shop, staff was super kind and nice, each line comes with 1gb welcome promo for 90 days.
Aug 3, 2018
152 posts
39 upvotes
Let us know how the coverage is if your from metro vancouver
Jun 18, 2017
378 posts
253 upvotes
For Calgary folks. If you dont want to wait in line go to the mobile shop at the new superstore in east village. Was there shopping tonight and the guy was just standing around.
Aug 5, 2015
16 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
coverage in metro vancouver is good, only dead spot is around 57th victoria to marine

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 5 guests)

metran