Shaw

Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 11:44 am
May 28, 2019
42 posts
79 upvotes
Alberta
The Shaw support website is a bit ambiguous on what internet plans are eligible. It looks like you will only know for sure when you sign-up in store for the plan.

"The following residential Internet plans are currently eligible for mobile rate plan discounts, as listed on the Shaw Mobile website. Discount eligibility is subject to change at any time. Final eligibility is determined at time of sign-up or during the account linking process conducted by a Shaw Store, participating retail partner or by contacting Customer Care. Not all Residential Internet plans (including discounts applied to accounts) are eligible for Shaw Mobile discounts and may require an Internet plan change to become eligible. Both month-to-month and ValuePlan rates for listed Internet plans are eligible for Shaw Mobile discounts."

"Past Internet rate plans that may be eligible for Shaw Mobile discounts" include the Internet 5 to 600.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/billing-acco ... ta-p/21150
Jun 23, 2019
49 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DahlTin wrote: The Shaw support website is a bit ambiguous on what internet plans are eligible. It looks like you will only know for sure when you sign-up in store for the plan.

"The following residential Internet plans are currently eligible for mobile rate plan discounts, as listed on the Shaw Mobile website. Discount eligibility is subject to change at any time. Final eligibility is determined at time of sign-up or during the account linking process conducted by a Shaw Store, participating retail partner or by contacting Customer Care. Not all Residential Internet plans (including discounts applied to accounts) are eligible for Shaw Mobile discounts and may require an Internet plan change to become eligible. Both month-to-month and ValuePlan rates for listed Internet plans are eligible for Shaw Mobile discounts."

"Past Internet rate plans that may be eligible for Shaw Mobile discounts" include the Internet 5 to 600.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/billing-acco ... ta-p/21150
From the plans site, it states the following:
Launch Promotion: Eligible for all Fibre+ Max & Essentials customers within wireless coverage in Alberta & British Columbia¹³
So at the very least, you'll need Fibre+ Max or Fibre+ Essentials to get the Launch Promotions. Whether or not they will extend it to any of their other internet plan offerings remains to be seen.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2340 posts
2468 upvotes
Surrey
Do you guys think it’s worth my dad leaving his Rogers No Tab $45 9 GB plan for this? I’m worried about the coverage and a potential price increase

Edit: It seems like only 2 GB of the data provided can be used nationwide. That’s a bummer.
Last edited by henrik112 on Jul 30th, 2020 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5168 upvotes
Canada
ChrisT363328 wrote: Sooo what if you're not a fibre plus customer, or it's not even available in your area? Also, this is a promotion. I wonder how long it will last. After that, it's pretty much the same as all the other carriers.
You don't need to have Shaw fiber+. But you will pay higher rates for mobile.

$15 talk/text and $10/GB rollover data
$85 25GB unlimited
Oct 27, 2016
452 posts
1241 upvotes
I just did a live chat to see if I would be eligible for the $0 lines with Shaw Internet 300, and they said yes

Also messaged their Twitter to confirm

Will visit a Shaw store later today and report back
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13129 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver
FragmentsOfLife wrote: I just did a live chat to see if I would be eligible for the $0 lines with Shaw Internet 300, and they said yes

Your eligible for the $45?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5168 upvotes
Canada
LULUMON wrote: What you save in mobile, you pay in home internet. Maximum value for free plan is $8.25 a month (freedom $99/yr)
This.

That's why their new internet rates are so high!!!
Shaw 150 plan is $95/mo

Freedom 150 Home internet is $55/mo

But rollover data on Shaw Mobile is still nice and by the gig price of $10 is cheaper than freedom $15/gig. It seems Shaw is willing to take a loss on this since big3 charge $14/GB to Shaw.

The Shaw brand is pretty huge in BC/AB so I wonder how Telus will respond to these $0 by the gig plans and $45 25GB.

Telus only gives a $10 discount if you bundle with Internet (eg. $65 10GB), compared to $40 discount for Shaw Mobile ($85 25GB to $45).
Last edited by RFDQ1016 on Jul 30th, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 4, 2011
36 posts
2 upvotes
VANCOUVER
FragmentsOfLife wrote: I just did a live chat to see if I would be eligible for the $0 lines with Shaw Internet 300, and they said yes

Same plan here. Please do report back. DMed them on Twitter but no response yet.
Nov 28, 2019
624 posts
286 upvotes
I am kinda confused about "shaw mobile"

First I do like they have a US Roaming plan though I think it should be separate from the 2gb nationwide. I also don't really see a huge uptake in this plan right now seeing you can go to the US anyways.

I don't get the "25GB Fast LTE (Shaw)⁶" is that running off the freedoms data towers or is this their wifi? I am just trying to understand where the borders are at.

I am guessing if your at home you will be using your wifi and won't be using any of the data.
When you go out and you connect to one of their mobile hotspots I am guessing again this wont' count against your data as you would get those anyways with your shaw package.

What will the talk/text be running off. Right now I get dead spots in my house with Freedom Mobile would I be getting these are well on shaw mobile? Or do they actually allow wifi calling for any phone unlike freedom?

I will stick to Freedom for now as I don't need 25gb of data and unless my coverage would be a lot better it is not worth paying an extra $15 to $25 month. I am also bit concerned that right now it is too tied to shaw, what happens in the future Telus comes out with a great promo and you want to switch now you basically will have to switch your phone at the same time.

I also don't understand why they thought it was a great idea during a pandemic to force people to go in store to sign up.
Apr 28, 2010
463 posts
568 upvotes
Terrace
The Fibre plan requirement kills the deal for me.
I am currently paying 50/m for Int 75. Upgrading to the cheapest "fibre" plan would bump my internet cost to 100/mth.

Also, 300mbps is an overkill for many people and its not even symmetrical download/upload.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5168 upvotes
Canada
The more I look into this, the clearer it gets that the 25GB plan isn't all that exciting, it is the same as what you can get right now since they essentially force you to bundle with Internet (otherwise the $85 price is the same as Freedom 25GB plan).

Eg.
Freedom 25GB plan $85
Freedom 150 internet $55
Total $140/mo

Shaw 150 internet $95
Shaw 25GB plan $45
Total $140/mo

If you don't bundle, the Shaw 25GB plan is $85, same as Freedom 25GB $85 plan. Actually freedom is a better deal since you get a free iPhone 11 on that plan while Shaw price is BYOD.
Last edited by RFDQ1016 on Jul 30th, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
4526 posts
6874 upvotes
BC
Anyone renew their home internet recently? Mines ending and best I got offered was $75/internet 300 for 24 months which is quite a bit more than I was paying
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1598 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: Anyone renew their home internet recently? Mines ending and best I got offered was $75/internet 300 for 24 months which is quite a bit more than I was paying
Looking for internet too. My 2 year will expire end of August and Shaw/Telus seem crazy high. Is the $60 month to month not available anymore?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta
RFDQ1016 wrote: Freedom 25GB plan $85
Freedom 150 internet $55
Total $140/mo

Shaw 150 internet $95
Shaw 25GB plan $45
Total $140/mo
Good comparison.

For Freedom, massive device subsidies.
For Shaw, the $0/mo Data by the Gig plan. Unlimited talk&text, $10/GB with rollover, up to 6 additional lines. Awesome for families.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2180 posts
1992 upvotes
Ottawa
jimbob12341 wrote: I don't get the "25GB Fast LTE (Shaw)⁶" is that running off the freedoms data towers or is this their wifi? I am just trying to understand where the borders are at.
LTE is completely different from WiFi. This is LTE (or 3G, depending on where you're roaming).

Shaw's coverage map is identical to Freedom's coverage map, so I think there's an easy assumption to be made there.
I am guessing if your at home you will be using your wifi and won't be using any of the data.
When you go out and you connect to one of their mobile hotspots I am guessing again this wont' count against your data as you would get those anyways with your shaw package.
You have access to their Shaw Go WiFi Hotspots as part of all of the plans.

WiFi by definition is not LTE. If you're connected to your home WiFi using the WiFi radio on your mobile device, you're using your broadband data, no different from any other arrangement. If you're connected to a Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot, you're using WiFi. I believe Shaw Go WiFi is technically unlimited (with a fair usage policy in effect).
What will the talk/text be running off. Right now I get dead spots in my house with Freedom Mobile would I be getting these are well on shaw mobile? Or do they actually allow wifi calling for any phone unlike freedom?
Again, as above, I think it's safe to assume that it'll be the same network as Freedom.
Last edited by Dynatos on Jul 30th, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13129 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver
Confirmed internet 300 makes you eligible for the OP plan. I prefer a hard credit check not done though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5168 upvotes
Canada
pjw918 wrote: Good comparison.

For Freedom, massive device subsidies.
For Shaw, the $0/mo Data by the Gig plan. Unlimited talk&text, $10/GB with rollover, up to 6 additional lines. Awesome for families.
Yes, freedom still comes out ahead when you factor in device subsidies, plus you have the option of getting cheaper plans like 10GB or promo $65 20GB with free iPhone se.

Shaw is by the gig or 25gb only. They need a 10GB plan in between and better device subsidies.

Rollover data and by the gig are interesting concepts, can be quite popular with kids and parents/grandparents. Hope big3 implement this.

Shaw brand is huge in BC/AB, which makes me think Telus can't completely ignore all this like they ignore freedom mobile.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)