Shaw

Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 11:44 am
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2215 posts
1057 upvotes
sonisame wrote: I hope they offer for business clients also soon. I wanted to port three lines over(One Telus, 2 from FIDO).

Sam
I wouldn't be surprised if they do, the rates will be higher. I was speaking to a rep at one of the locations (not Shaw) who's been processing Shaw activations and he feels it will be sooner than later before Shaw raises the prices unless you buy a device or get one for $0 dollars which should be exempt for 24 months.
Jan 29, 2007
35 posts
13 upvotes
Comox Valley
Thanks for pjw918 for the Samsung A8 instructions on changing the CSC to the Shaw Mobile settings. (the phone was reset, and I had a good backup :) The new CSC setting did seem to show the LTE display in the notification bar more often, but not always.

I drove around several areas of the Comox Valley and compared signal strengths of Shaw Mobile and Telus, my other current provider. No comparison, the Shaw Mobile was consistently weaker. I also was on Salt Spring Island BC (known for being "Telus country") and the Shaw signal was equally lacking, sometimes it would not connect to any tower. Telus download speeds were 20 to 50 and Shaw's were 0.3 to 6.0. Ouch.

I'm not a technician, and I'm getting tired of testing! I'm sure there are better methods of testing as well.

I'm not going to give up my account, though, as
1. it doesn't cost anything (except the original $22) and
2. perhaps some of the 'bugs' will be worked out over time. There has to be a consistently good signal to keep customers. If I recall, other 'new' mobile services have been through shakey startups, and they have improved over time.
I'll put the SIM card in my drawer until I hear of better service.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta
Pacific Web wrote: Thanks for pjw918 for the Samsung A8 instructions on changing the CSC to the Shaw Mobile settings. (the phone was reset, and I had a good backup :) The new CSC setting did seem to show the LTE display in the notification bar more often, but not always.

I drove around several areas of the Comox Valley and compared signal strengths of Shaw Mobile and Telus, my other current provider.
Thanks for reporting back. While testing did you place or receive any calls? Did the phone stay on LTE during the call?
Aug 27, 2012
23 posts
Red Deer
Why would Shaw need a credit check to add a $45 charge to my bill? They’ve never had that issue before adding new services.
Mar 14, 2015
786 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton
What happens if you cancel your Shaw services afterwards? My internet/cable contract ends in February and if they don't let me keep the same rates I'd probably cancel, in that case what happens to the phone plans?

Does the main line user have to match the name of the Shaw Cable/Internet account? Or can it be diff?

How's the reception quality outside BC/AB?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1184 posts
844 upvotes
QuinteWest
sonisame wrote: I hope they offer for business clients also soon. I wanted to port three lines over(One Telus, 2 from FIDO).

Sam
You may want to check with Telus for your business lines. I believe they have decent discounts for each additional line.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
4525 posts
6874 upvotes
BC
FlyOverMyDoodle wrote: What happens if you cancel your Shaw services afterwards? My internet/cable contract ends in February and if they don't let me keep the same rates I'd probably cancel, in that case what happens to the phone plans?
Most likely lose the bundle discount and the phone plan goes back to regular price $15/month
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1003 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
peakingduck wrote: Most likely lose the bundle discount and the phone plan goes back to regular price $15/month
This is why I haven't ported over yet.
essentially you are trapped with the Higher Internet fee if you want to keep the discounted Phone plans
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta
Bergen75 wrote: Why would Shaw need a credit check to add a $45 charge to my bill? They’ve never had that issue before adding new services.
With Shaw Mobile comes the option of multiple lines of service and (interest-free) term financing on $1000+ devices.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1738 posts
1077 upvotes
Pharmer wrote: This is why I haven't ported over yet.
essentially you are trapped with the Higher Internet fee if you want to keep the discounted Phone plans
Yea, that's mostly what's holding me back. That and the complaints in this thread about poor signal.

Anybody in the GVR spent enough time with Shaw Mobile to comment on the service?
Dec 30, 2016
5 posts
Calgary
Thatdealguy wrote: Bell Supports Huawei China.
Telus is linked with China.
Some of us are new on these forums and have no idea about this. Please help us with sources so we can make informed decisions
Aug 20, 2014
62 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zero64 wrote: Yea, that's mostly what's holding me back. That and the complaints in this thread about poor signal.

Anybody in the GVR spent enough time with Shaw Mobile to comment on the service?
GVR as in Metro Vancouver? So far, reception has been great from the North Shore to Langley. Both with voice and data quality. I drove to Squamish and found it quickly turned over to "Nationwide" coverage, but this was seamless and had even better reception than my regular Koodo line.
Koodo: $40 8GB + $0 5GB + $0 3GB promo add ons = $40 for 16GB.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1738 posts
1077 upvotes
dbi43252 wrote: GVR as in Metro Vancouver? So far, reception has been great from the North Shore to Langley. Both with voice and data quality. I drove to Squamish and found it quickly turned over to "Nationwide" coverage, but this was seamless and had even better reception than my regular Koodo line.
Thanks. Yea, mostly interested in the Coquitlam area. The coverage map shows plenty of signal, but I'm interested in what the real-life experience is.
Jun 6, 2004
532 posts
33 upvotes
zero64 wrote: Thanks. Yea, mostly interested in the Coquitlam area. The coverage map shows plenty of signal, but I'm interested in what the real-life experience is.
I was hiking today at Belcarra area. It was National-wide signal but I have solid internet and call connection. Using iPhone XS.
Oct 28, 2012
119 posts
174 upvotes
VICTORIA
Just caution for anyone looking at switching to Shaw Mobile, not only is their network shaky, but their support is equally as shaky.

I've already run into an issue with their service where I've now spent over 3 hours troubleshooting an issue. I've been through a ton of agents (they keep transferring me back and forth, and keep getting confused between Home/Mobile agents so it's like I'm being used to play ping-pong) and received multiple different reasons/solutions, and still don't have a resolution to the problem.

Shaw Mobile is way too green to rely on for your only cell service (surprising given Shaw already has these procedures down). Honestly I'd recommend only using them to leverage Robellus. Rogers called me the next day after switching and offered me the same unlimited text/call plan for $0 / mo. I turned them down, but really now wishing I hadn't.
May 16, 2010
452 posts
294 upvotes
Vancouver
rogers called you the day after you ported out to shaw?
Sep 24, 2007
70 posts
7 upvotes
anyone know when this promo ends? any Shaw agents out there????
Need to get new phone because I can't unlock my current phone thanks to Best Buy
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14383 posts
4369 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Snake13 wrote: Just caution for anyone looking at switching to Shaw Mobile, not only is their network shaky, but their support is equally as shaky.

I've already run into an issue with their service where I've now spent over 3 hours troubleshooting an issue. I've been through a ton of agents (they keep transferring me back and forth, and keep getting confused between Home/Mobile agents so it's like I'm being used to play ping-pong) and received multiple different reasons/solutions, and still don't have a resolution to the problem.

Shaw Mobile is way too green to rely on for your only cell service (surprising given Shaw already has these procedures down). Honestly I'd recommend only using them to leverage Robellus. Rogers called me the next day after switching and offered me the same unlimited text/call plan for $0 / mo. I turned them down, but really now wishing I hadn't.
I've been really satisfied with their network so far. No dropped calls, strong signal pretty much everywhere in my areas, lots of Shaw hotspots with fast DL speeds. I ported out from Chatr, and didn't get any winback call.
Apr 13, 2005
526 posts
208 upvotes
Shaw mobile tech support pretty useless. Unreachable unless you call early in morning. Couldn't roam on nationwide at all on a road trip and their suggestion was just keep restarting the phone. Later on found out nationwide roaming was turned off in my features online. You'd think they would at least see this, especially when I asked is there anything in my account that's blocking it.