Hot Deals

[Shaw] Shaw Mobile $45/25GB (AB/BC) [FOR SHAW INTERNET CUSTOMERS ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2020 12:19 am
May 24, 2003
140 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Switched, but noticed poor signal especially inside a building. Low speed even when outside. This is in metro Vancouver.
Anybody else with connection issues?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1659 upvotes
Alberta
Neo wrote: Switched, but noticed poor signal especially inside a building. Low speed even when outside. This is in metro Vancouver.
See the Thread Summary.
Use a fully-compatible phone. You need working VoLTE to access extended ranged LTE B13.
May 24, 2003
140 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
pjw918 wrote: See the Thread Summary.
Use a fully-compatible phone. You need working VoLTE to access extended ranged LTE B13.
I use iPhone X and didn't have same issues with Telus. 2nd iPhone X also showed poor reception. also called their technical support but no resolution.
Am I missing anything or is it their net work.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13595 posts
3807 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Neo wrote: I use iPhone X and didn't have same issues with Telus. 2nd iPhone X also showed poor reception. also called their technical support but no resolution.
Am I missing anything or is it their net work.
I'm using Sony XA1, XA2, and an ancient Huawei Mate2 4G, and reception has not been a problem. Data works better on the Sonys due to Bands 13 & 66.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1154 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver
Does Shaw still offer this free 1 gb free welcome data?
Jaylay14 wrote: Yeah you're able to port you're number at a later. That's exactly what I originally did when I signed up a day or 2 after Shaw Mobile launched. I tested the network out until my 1 gb free welcome data finished. Then transferred over after that.
Mar 14, 2014
575 posts
712 upvotes
artofwar wrote: Does Shaw still offer this free 1 gb free welcome data?
No, it was only offered for a couple of weeks after they launched their service at the end of July.
Nov 26, 2015
9 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby, BC
hello everyone. i just was at metro earlier today, switched my old carrier virgin to this deal. did all the requirements information paperwork. and voila i finished got the deal. before i was paying 60 for 6gbs and always ending up going over and then getting charged more. before the 60 deal there was a 4gb for 45 promotion 3-4 years ago before they changed their plans. so i have shaw internet cable/tvphone. so i was eligible for this. 25gbs for 45 is good deal.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6002 posts
995 upvotes
Neo wrote: Switched, but noticed poor signal especially inside a building. Low speed even when outside. This is in metro Vancouver.
This is exactly my concern otherwise I'd sign up immediately
Oct 25, 2019
217 posts
74 upvotes
Where exactly in metro vancouver? Mind elaborating? I used Freedom prepaid (which basically runs on the same network) and honestly had really low expectations coming from the big 3. I was pleasantly surprised. I drove around the city (not to test, but generally) and has youtube and maps running through out and never once had a buffering or any other disconnects.
I walked into Freedom with really low expectations hearing all the negatives and was pleasantly surprised.

What exact places did you experience the issue? Just FYI- freedom has Wifi Calling as well. So inside buildings you are use that (assuming you have wifi). Again, agreed, you shouldn't have to rely on that, but if you have kick-ass plan that using wifi-calling is a small cost to pay...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6002 posts
995 upvotes
mythical wrote: Where exactly in metro vancouver? Mind elaborating? I used Freedom prepaid (which basically runs on the same network) and honestly had really low expectations coming from the big 3. I was pleasantly surprised. I drove around the city (not to test, but generally) and has youtube and maps running through out and never once had a buffering or any other disconnects.
I walked into Freedom with really low expectations hearing all the negatives and was pleasantly surprised.

What exact places did you experience the issue? Just FYI- freedom has Wifi Calling as well. So inside buildings you are use that (assuming you have wifi). Again, agreed, you shouldn't have to rely on that, but if you have kick-ass plan that using wifi-calling is a small cost to pay...
Any experience in the tricities and beyond?
Oct 25, 2019
217 posts
74 upvotes
champ91 wrote: Any experience in the tricities and beyond?
Did drive around Coquitlam area. Again with Youtube and maps on the go. Don't recall any disconnects.
There would be nooks and corners where you might get cut-off though. But again, for considerable savings that might be a small price to pay UNLESS you happen to live in that nook in which case you will end up having to experience is 24/7 (well not really, if you turn on wifi calling...)
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1575 posts
663 upvotes
champ91 wrote: Any experience in the tricities and beyond?
It's been more than passable for me in Coquitlam and Poco, although I have noticed the odd weak spot. In the Poco Walmart (where I got the Shaw sim card) my signal isn't very good. A half-underground business I go to in the Metrotown area has spotty signal as well.

For the most part it has been fine for me though. I can live with its very occasional issues for the price.
Feb 29, 2012
358 posts
114 upvotes
mythical wrote: Where exactly in metro vancouver? Mind elaborating? I used Freedom prepaid (which basically runs on the same network) and honestly had really low expectations coming from the big 3. I was pleasantly surprised. I drove around the city (not to test, but generally) and has youtube and maps running through out and never once had a buffering or any other disconnects.

Also useful for traveling overseas and being able to use your Canadian number tethering to a local SIM which some of their competitors *cough* Telus *cough* doesn't allow
May 16, 2010
315 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
I was getting texts that wouldn't send in Coquitlam and Vancouver. also crappy calling quality in my house. for me it didn't seem ready for primetime. I wouldn't give it to my wife for safety issues, just didn't trust it. went back to Rogers. if anything, it's keeping the big 3 honest and got me the 25gb for $45 that Rogers would never have if it wasn't for Shaw.
Last edited by xman111 on Oct 27th, 2020 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6002 posts
995 upvotes
xman111 wrote: I was getting texts that wouldn't send in Coquitlam and Vancouver. also crappy calling quality in my house. for me. it didn't seem ready for primetime. I wouldn't give it to my wife for safety issues, just didn't trust it. went back to Rogers. if anything, it's keeping the big 3 honest and got me the 25gb for $45 that Rogers would never have if it wasn't for Shaw.
Kind of a catch 22. ,They need customers to raise capital to make their infrastructure and coverage better but customers are hesitant because of their spotty coverage

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)