Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shaw

[YMMV] Shaw Internet 150 - $39.90 1st year, $79 2nd year

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2016 9:43 pm
Banned
Aug 3, 2006
251 posts
135 upvotes
Calgary

[Shaw] [YMMV] Shaw Internet 150 - $39.90 1st year, $79 2nd year

This deal is a bit better than the standard offer of $49 1st year.

I got a call from Shaw yesterday, and they offered me the 150Mbps internet for $39/month for the 1st year, and $79 for the 2nd year. 2 year value plan contract.

Also the agent told me if I signed up before the end of this month, I would get a $50 credit onto my next bill!

I was with Telus, and tried to price match, but they wouldn't. So now I'm with Shaw for 2 years.

YMMV, because someone from Shaw actually called me and offered this price to me. So not sure if you can call to get the same offer.

Here's a link to my confirmation email from Shaw
http://imgur.com/a34r81m
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
How did Shaw get your number? Did you asked to be called? That would help other peope to try and get this great deal. Nice.
Banned
Aug 3, 2006
251 posts
135 upvotes
Calgary
I signed up for their original $50 offer online a few weeks ago. But ended up cancelling my appointment since I got Telus to match their offer.

That's probably how they got my info... I know that probably doesn't help a lot of people. But maybe if you show Telus or shaw my email confirmation, they will match the offer
Nov 30, 2015
141 posts
89 upvotes
A bit jelly. I did get the 50$ credit, but I guess since MTS can't compete too much they didn't offer the 39$/month that you got.
Last edited by ArisingPeace on Aug 27th, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1029 posts
502 upvotes
Vancouver
They are obv targeting telus customers to switch.

Good to see
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1921 posts
807 upvotes
Calgary
Caution, if you need the modem bridged there's been firmware issues with bridge mode.
Banned
Aug 3, 2006
251 posts
135 upvotes
Calgary
I just called Telus to cancel my service, and they offered me $42/month for the 1st year, $80 for the 2nd!

No $50 bonus though
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1764 posts
349 upvotes
Vancouver
Do we know what type of wireless modem (ie. 2.4 or 5 ghz?? signal does it use)... is it AC speeds ie 1900, 3200... range?
blind56 wrote: Caution, if you need the modem bridged there's been firmware issues with bridge mode.
May 27, 2011
575 posts
586 upvotes
artofwar wrote: Do we know what type of wireless modem (ie. 2.4 or 5 ghz?? signal does it use)... is it AC speeds ie 1900, 3200... range?
blind56 wrote: Caution, if you need the modem bridged there's been firmware issues with bridge mode.
yes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
artofwar wrote: Do we know what type of wireless modem (ie. 2.4 or 5 ghz?? signal does it use)... is it AC speeds ie 1900, 3200... range?
Dual Band 3x3 AC 1300. Also 1900/3200 aren't actually true throughput, it's marketing adding up the aggregate bandwidth of all bands/radios.

Also keep in mind most devices are either 1x1 or 2x2 AC at the most so you're limited to 433/867 theoretical on AC.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
Same story. I got a call from Shaw and they offered me 15mbps for $20 per month for 6 months, and a $50 credit, so the first 2.5 months free, basically. I was on Telus, paying $40 per month on the same speed. Got Shaw guys to come next day and it was pretty much a done deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3908 posts
2123 upvotes
Vancouver
You're talking about the Hitron modem, right? I thought I read some issues with it, so I asked for the Cisco modem. I have it bridged and I don't think there have been any issues thus far.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1921 posts
807 upvotes
Calgary
Bishop8 wrote:
You're talking about the Hitron modem, right? I thought I read some issues with it, so I asked for the Cisco modem. I have it bridged and I don't think there have been any issues thus far.
Yeah, I just had my fourth tech by today to drop off the Cisco. When the service launched the Hitron was the exclusive modem available, and the Cisco was unavailable. Guy that came back today said that the Hitron is still getting pushed hard, but the Cisco is now back in availability.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1764 posts
349 upvotes
Vancouver
So would there be any advantage/disadvantage for me to setup the router in bridge mode to use with my Netgear R7000 AC1900 modem or just to use the provided cisco/hitron modem ?
tkyoshi wrote:
Dual Band 3x3 AC 1300. Also 1900/3200 aren't actually true throughput, it's marketing adding up the aggregate bandwidth of all bands/radios.

Also keep in mind most devices are either 1x1 or 2x2 AC at the most so you're limited to 433/867 theoretical on AC.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1322 posts
282 upvotes
What's the benefit of bridged router ?
I used to have their modem in bridge mode but had to come off it due to their "hack" that allows for speeds of 30mbs but being charged for service of 15mbs. In any event, once I came off bridged mode, I kept on using my existing setup (2x D-Link modems, one with DHCP server, other just Access Point). The only thing that changed is the WAN network on my D-Link...but subnets, IP addressing type and everything else stayed the same.
I imagine the big problem would be double NAT situation, but I am not sure how many people would know they are in this scenario and what kind of problems would it create for them. For me it was Plex server not seen from outside (I never use it from outside anyways) but port fwding fixed it anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
artofwar wrote: So would there be any advantage/disadvantage for me to setup the router in bridge mode to use with my Netgear R7000 AC1900 modem or just to use the provided cisco/hitron modem ?
tkyoshi wrote:

Depends, generally the range on the provided Hitron/Cisco may not be as great as your Netgear, however you can try it out. If you're in a Condo the built in one will prob be perfectly fine.

Another considering is if you already have a bunch of things configured the way you want then you may want to continue using your existing one since it's already setup. That router is a pretty solid one so you might as well keep using it. However if you have a more basic one or an older like Wifi N one I would give the provided one a shot before going out to buy a new one.