• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 1:13 am
[OP]
Apr 28, 2007
89 posts
88 upvotes
Saskatoon

[Shaw] YMMV - Shaw Loyalty 24 months 300 mbps $59+tax + $200 bill credit

My old boxing day/black friday deal expired so I initially chose to move to a competitor, but on the date of my cancelation I received an email to contact the loyalty line 1-888-882-6052.

They were able to offer me 24 months 300 mbps $59+tax + $200 bill credit.

Note: I did have to sign a contract with a competitor that could be rescinded prior to getting this deal.
Thread Summary
How to get this deal:
  • You must book a cancellation. You can do this via chat or phone. Chat is probably easier.
  • Then wait for the email(s). You should get one immediately acknowledging your cancellation request. Then you should get the retention email within ~48hrs, typically faster.
  • Then call the number. If you don't get the email after a day or two, then call the number anyway. If you did not get the cancellation email then your cancellation did not process and you must start again.
  • Now you get the deal. (You should be able to choose from the 3 speeds; $59 for 300 Mbps, $69 for 500 Mbps, or $75 for 750 Mbps., and if you want $5 D+ or not.)
  • If you are not offered the bill credit, just hum and haw until they offer it, or outright ask for it. Should be able to get $200 without issue. Anything beyond that is a bonus and typically requires manager approval.
  • At no point during the process do you need to mention anything about competitors, competitor pricing or anything else. Keep it simple.
275 replies
Nov 24, 2013
130 posts
134 upvotes
Victoria, BC, Canada
Why the downvote? Seems like a decent deal from Shaw. $8ish bucks off for 2 years with taxes comes out to like $58/month.
Jan 3, 2007
553 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
Good price, does anyone get a good deal from SHAW in Calgary? thanks
Shaw mobile $0
Fido 4GB LTE data $5
Aug 5, 2015
179 posts
139 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It's like pulling teeth to get anywhere with shaw now. I can't stand that I have to book a cancellation to even get a dollar off per month.
Jan 19, 2006
541 posts
390 upvotes
BC
Called their loyalty dept. and they offered nada. I cancelled Shaw and switched to Telus ADSL 75mb for ~$52 tax in/month as my condo does not yet have fiber. Had I went with a 2 year my monthly would have been $46/month. Both plans have no data cap. Shaw called and offered the same deal you were took, but I wanted to do month to month so Telus it is.

Shaw was all about Shaw and not interested in offering me anything until it was too late. BTW I tried to return their modem to a Shaw store as the post office lineups pre Christmas were very long and slow, but they would not take it.

Shaw is the WestJet of ISPs....
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3504 posts
3456 upvotes
Victoria
cloudsuck wrote: Shaw is the WestJet of ISPs....
So that means Telus is Air Canada? Is this better than WestJet?
Oct 28, 2022
11 posts
bc
yermomsmom wrote: Why the downvote? Seems like a decent deal from Shaw. $8ish bucks off for 2 years with taxes comes out to like $58/month.
Because it's extremely YMMV.
I went through similar steps last year, signed contract with Telus and only after that show gave me an offer. I stayed with show only because I didn't want waste my time with reconnection and I could cancel my Telus contract.
It's just insane
Last edited by Iwantthatdeal on Dec 28th, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 28, 2022
11 posts
bc
cooper83 wrote: So that means Telus is Air Canada? Is this better than WestJet?
They both are the same. When I contacted Telus to cancel my new contract they offered me even better one.
That's extreme level of stupidity.
Jul 21, 2013
929 posts
606 upvotes
Calgary
I received this offer few months ago, without the credit, but with the new XB6 and 100mbit up. That's good enough for me.
Sep 16, 2004
155 posts
3 upvotes
OP was lucky. I talked to a few shaw agents, their offers were the same.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1180 posts
389 upvotes
I got $250 bill credit on the 2 years renewal (300mbps) plan.
---
Happy Koodo User| $40 - 50GB Data | Good Deal +$25 Credit
Apr 1, 2009
444 posts
648 upvotes
Winnipeg
I wouldn't downvote this because it's a good deal, but I can understand people not wanting to hear anything about Shaw after trying to negotiate renewing my last package with them. Everyone has one of these long stories, but I signed up to use a hotspot that was close to a space that I was renting downtown, and that hot spot dried up a week after I signed the contract. It was more than I needed for home use but I couldn't get out of it, all during the pandemic the internet kept dropping so video conferences and such would fail constantly and cost me a bunch of clients. On month 23 of my plan they sent out a tech finally after multiple attempts to get them to do something about it, and he found that an animal had chewed through the line. Having finally gotten that fixed, I was willing to sign another 2-year deal at the same price as had been previously offered by a rep that I spoke with, but when I called back to do it all of those ridiculous Disney plus promos had come into market and suddenly everything was 10$ more per month and I just couldn't bring myself to sign it again on principal. I took a step down to 75 Mbps from 300 Mbps with a Shaw reseller and have noticed absolutely no practical difference in my day-to-day usage, except for the bill being half as expensive and me not having to White knuckle it through 24 months of contractually obligations with intermittent Internet outages for the privilege.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1442 posts
237 upvotes
For people who want to renew with Shaw, to get a better deal than just calling in, you need to set a official cancelation date (I set mine to that last day of my contract). Then a couple of days later, you will get an email or phone call from the senior loyalty team with this deal or maybe a similar one. This is the only way to get a deal with shaw at the moment.
Dec 12, 2010
429 posts
126 upvotes
Vancouver
Ryu69 wrote: For people who want to renew with Shaw, to get a better deal than just calling in, you need to set a official cancelation date (I set mine to that last day of my contract). Then a couple of days later, you will get an email or phone call from the senior loyalty team with this deal or maybe a similar one. This is the only way to get a deal with shaw at the moment.
How do you set a cancellation date?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1467 posts
668 upvotes
Victoria
kazin wrote: How do you set a cancellation date?
Call and say you want to cancel because Telus came to your door and gave you a great offer, and let them know you want to set a cancellation date of something a few weeks or a month in the future to give you enough time to move your services.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1603 posts
1185 upvotes
Not exactly a hot deal, all ISP do the same. I was about to transfer to Shaw for $55/300mbps + 250 credit and Novus contacted me the day before cancellation and gave me $40/month Internet 500, price guaranteed forever.
Jun 4, 2007
133 posts
41 upvotes
notnow17 wrote: Not exactly a hot deal, all ISP do the same. I was about to transfer to Shaw for $55/300mbps + 250 credit and Novus contacted me the day before cancellation and gave me $40/month Internet 500, price guaranteed forever.
Good for you. I should wait a bit to contact Shaw, then I will definitely switch to Novus. I was paying full price for 500M in Shaw after old contract expired, was lazy to switch. After saw this post, I contacted Shaw in live chat and told them I am moving to Novus, then they offered me $75/m for 500M, and $10bill credit.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1603 posts
1185 upvotes
garconcn wrote: Good for you. I should wait a bit to contact Shaw, then I will definitely switch to Novus. I was paying full price for 500M in Shaw after old contract expired, was lazy to switch. After saw this post, I contacted Shaw in live chat and told them I am moving to Novus, then they offered me $75/m for 500M, and $10bill credit.
It's 100000% easier to get retention deals by actually getting another ISP to notify your current ISP about an upcoming cancellation. Phone/live chat is usually a waste of time.
Oct 28, 2017
430 posts
176 upvotes
Richmond, BC
notnow17 wrote: Not exactly a hot deal, all ISP do the same. I was about to transfer to Shaw for $55/300mbps + 250 credit and Novus contacted me the day before cancellation and gave me $40/month Internet 500, price guaranteed forever.
How's your experience been with novus? Is the rental free? $10 a month for home phone hm

edit: just realized it was for high density buildings and town houses only
Oct 19, 2006
185 posts
287 upvotes
I called Shaw to get this offer and they wouldn't even entertain it. I threatened to cancel, they helped me set up a cancellation appointment.

My bill is currently $200/month with internet, cable and home phone, been a customer for 20 years. Paying $2400 per year to Shaw for services to only be treated like its a privilege to have Shaw services for only $2400 / year.

Time to switch to the Telus EPP deals.

Thanks.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Sleplow, u3511161