None
[OP]
Oct 17, 2002
989 posts
180 upvotes
Oakville

Shed base

Hi guys,

I had a shed installed in my backyard, but because the yard isnt 100% levelled, in some areas (namely the back of the shed) there's a bit of a gap between the ground and the base of the shed. Here's a picture of what Im talking about (not my shed, but same situation): https://www.instagram.com/p/BEybboTiXRS/

I dont really want any animals getting/moving in there (especially later in the winter), so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do?

My shed is 8x8, and I was thinking of getting a bunch of 2x4's or 2x6's framing/boxing a 10x10 or 12x10 area to surround the shed and filling it with HPB. thoughts?
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
I would install skirting. Wood or plastic but ensure that the skirting goes down into the ground a few inches.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
Somekind of skirting should work. You can use both wood and flowered trim. The flowerbeds trim(5" or more) can been buried in the soil with the top anchored to the base of the wood so rodent have a hard time burrowing under the wood.

Mar 4, 2006
465 posts
138 upvotes
You should have placed wire mesh or chicken wire under the shed before it was installed to prevent animals from making a home understand shed. But you can put in a "L" shape wire mesh skirt around the shed and make sure the bottom part of the "L" extends 12inch around the shed. This will prevent them from digging under the skirt.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2002
989 posts
180 upvotes
Oakville
Thanks guys. Didnt thinking about using skirting since the gap is really no more than 2 or 3 inches, but landscape edging might do the trick. Chicken wire / metal mesh in the 'L' shape is also a good idea. Im debating on the cost (and ease of installing) of using a 2x6 to surround the base of the shed (with the wire/mesh in between) or some metal or plastic edging.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
arisk wrote: Use vertical wire mesh (like heavy chicken wire), attached to the rim and buried deep enough that an animal won't just dig under it.
"L" shaped at the bottom will help.
I had to do that with a low deck to keep critters out.
http://www.tscstores.com/Search.aspx?k=hardware+cloth
A mouse of chipmunk or mole or vole can get into holes sized less than a 10 cent piece. Chicken wire only keeps out large animals.
A solid skirting is the best bet.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2003 posts
990 upvotes
London
Pete_Coach wrote: A mouse of chipmunk or mole or vole can get into holes sized less than a 10 cent piece. Chicken wire only keeps out large animals.
A solid skirting is the best bet.
I didn't say use chicken wire.
I said "like heavy chicken wire" as a description for those unfamiliar with hardware cloth.

I believe I used 1/2" grid.
I didn't care about anything that could squeeze through that.
I was concerned more about raccoons and skunks.
They could chew through chicken wire too, as it's not as strong as what I referred to.

Solid skirting provides no ventilation, which may or may not be a concern.
It may be more difficult to put below surface to prevent under burrowing.
It might look better though, depending on application.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
arisk wrote: I didn't say use chicken wire.
I said "like heavy chicken wire" as a description for those unfamiliar with hardware cloth.

I believe I used 1/2" grid.
I didn't care about anything that could squeeze through that.
I was concerned more about raccoons and skunks.
They could chew through chicken wire too, as it's not as strong as what I referred to.

Solid skirting provides no ventilation, which may or may not be a concern.
It may be more difficult to put below surface to prevent under burrowing.
It might look better though, depending on application.
Don't get your pants in a knot.
I just responded to what you typed. You said "(like heavy chicken wire)".
The OP said "I don't really want any animals getting/moving in there" not being specific on the animal but mice, voles, moles and, chipmunks are all animals (rodents maybe :) )