Home & Garden

Shedded bird feathers

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2021 4:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6590 posts
6067 upvotes

Shedded bird feathers

I've been noticing a lot bird feathers scattered in my backyard for the past several months...never seen this before. Anyone know what might be going on? This is the latest scattering
Images
  • 20210820_120605.jpg
29 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6590 posts
6067 upvotes
Becks wrote: In order to eat a bird, the feathers r removed
So some animal is killing, defeathering and eating birds in my backyard? I haven't seen any bones or carcasses. What animal would be doing this in a urban setting - raccoons? I do regularly see a cat back there.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6590 posts
6067 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: I'll give a clue....
another reason why I'm not a fan of cats

poor birds...it seem like there have been quite a few goners. I was thought birds were quite vigilant and would be able to easily escape before getting caught
Last edited by hierophant on Aug 20th, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21648 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hierophant wrote: So some animal is killing, defeathering and eating birds in my backyard? I haven't seen any bones or carcasses. What animal would be doing this in a urban setting - raccoons? I do regularly see a cat back there.
Looks like the attack / killing is happening in your yard
Then the trophy is hauled off elsewhere (hence no bones / carcass)

Not unusual for housecats given access to the outdoors

Heck some will even take “the prize” home to their owners doorstep
To share in their pleasure … brag of their prowess & skill

Very common with well fed domestic cats

The instinct to kill for sport
But not actual food

EDIT / ADD …
Personally, I am of the belief of RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERSHIP
Domestic Housecats should be kept in the house
It’s better for all concerned
They won’t become a neighbourhood nuisance or spread diseases
(Fleas, Tics, Mites, Lice … unhealthy garden toiletry habits, possible exposure to rabies etc, and kill wildlife)
The cat will also live much longer (indoor cats average AT LEAST 2x the life span of an outdoor cat … up to 20+ years … whereas most outdoor cats live < 10 years … some a lot less than 10 … due to becoming roadkill, killed by larger predators, manmade hazards / poisons etc )
A house cat kept in the house … can Thereby bring even more joy to their owners for many more years
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 20th, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
hierophant wrote: another reason why I'm not a fan of cats

poor birds...it seem like there have been quite a few goners. I was thought birds were quite vigilant and would be able to easily escape before getting caught
Gotta give you the Lion King response...
Images
  • 2625ADEB-89C2-41AA-B489-B943B7D32A74.png
Sr. Member
Apr 29, 2007
887 posts
604 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RIP, my feathered friend
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2018
947 posts
907 upvotes
GTA
The same cat might be clearing some rodents in your area as well so take that as a positive.

A stray cat frequently shows up my backyard... One time we saw her with a mouse in her mouth under a tree shade. After seeing that I wanted her to patrol my house as often as she wants to lol.
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Gotta give you the Lion King response...
How is it the circle of life when housecats are an invasive species? It's as much circle of life as your baby being eaten by a dingo in Toronto.
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
clutch31 wrote: The same cat might be clearing some rodents in your area as well so take that as a positive.

A stray cat frequently shows up my backyard... One time we saw her with a mouse in her mouth under a tree shade. After seeing that I wanted her to patrol my house as often as she wants to lol.
Cats kill more birds than mice.
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
hierophant wrote: another reason why I'm not a fan of cats

poor birds...it seem like there have been quite a few goners. I was thought birds were quite vigilant and would be able to easily escape before getting caught
At this time of year, primarily young fledglings are being killed, both by house cats and fast moving vehicles. They're just kids, they don't know about the dangers of the world when they're out on their own just a little over 1 month out of the nest.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Katedontbreak wrote: How is it the circle of life when housecats are an invasive species? It's as much circle of life as your baby being eaten by a dingo in Toronto.
Humans are an invasive species too. Unless you're living in a tent, foraging.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
2588 posts
1493 upvotes
Ontario
Today I found a half buried bunny and big poof of fur in our front garden! Don't what ate it and then tried to bury the rest (never seen that part before), but def made a mess lol...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Humans are an invasive species too. Unless you're living in a tent, foraging.
I dont understand this argument. Are you saying we can't eliminate outdoor cats without eliminating people? Just because we can do one, but not the other, does that mean we should do nothing at all?
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: Today I found a half buried bunny and big poof of fur in our front garden! Don't what ate it and then tried to bury the rest (never seen that part before), but def made a mess lol...
Skunk
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Katedontbreak wrote: I dont understand this argument. Are you saying we can't eliminate outdoor cats without eliminating people? Just because we can do one, but not the other, does that mean we should do nothing at all?
We domesticated cats. Brought them indoors. We built our homes where wild animals had their habitats. The cat isn't the problem.
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: The cat isn't the problem.
Yes it is. Just because humans also cause problems, does not mean the outdoor cat is not a problem. That logic is ridiculous.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21648 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
IcarusLSC wrote: Today I found a half buried bunny and big poof of fur in our front garden! Don't what ate it and then tried to bury the rest (never seen that part before), but def made a mess lol...
The buried part … suggests something in the dog / canine family
(Wolf, Coyote, or Fox all are possibilities depending on where in Canada you live )

Dogs are the most common predator of rabbits in most settings
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
2588 posts
1493 upvotes
Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: The buried part … suggests something in the dog / canine family
(Wolf, Coyote, or Fox all are possibilities depending on where in Canada you live )

Dogs are the most common predator of rabbits in most settings
This is what I was thinking, there are a lot of foxes around. We hear them almost every night now. Weird they tried to bury it though...
·Ï¢årµ§·

Top