Shopping Discussion

Shell 10% statement credit promotion ended early - How much credit you lost because of that

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2019 7:19 am

Poll: How much credit did you lost ?

• Total votes: 157. You have voted on this poll.
Below $50

64%
Between $50 to $100

15%
Between $101 to $150

3%
Between $151 to $200

3%
Between $201 to $250

1%
Between $251 to $300

1%
Over $300

13%

Poll ended at Nov 1st, 2019 2:39 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Shell 10% statement credit promotion ended early - How much credit you lost because of that

I know a lot of us made purchase at Shell during the promotion period for 10% statement credit.
Shell all the sudden end the promo on Oct 8, without communication. I wonder how many people continue make purchase because not knowing the promo ended.
I also have some purchase made BEFORE the promotion end but posted on credit card AFTER it ended, it seem like will not get credit as well.

Starting a poll to see how much we "Lost" in credit because of shell end this early.
It is the amount of credit we should receive, but we didn't / won't because of shell ended it badly.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
93 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29175 posts
14925 upvotes
Toronto
did not even know there is such a promo at all.

sorry, what is a statement credit anyway ? I have been a Shell user for the last 10 yrs or more and I have not seen this at the gas station or online ads or sent emails, etc.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3188 posts
2083 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: I know a lot of us made purchase at Shell during the promotion period for 10% statement credit.
Shell all the sudden end the promo on Oct 8, without communication. I wonder how many people continue make purchase because not knowing the promo ended.
I also have some purchase made BEFORE the promotion end but posted on credit card AFTER it ended, it seem like will not get credit as well.

Starting a poll to see how much we "Lost" in credit because of shell end this early.
It is the amount of credit we should receive, but we didn't / won't because of shell ended it badly.
post what shell advised you as well, not many users will see the expired thread
Oct 5, 2014
554 posts
1171 upvotes
Ontario
I'm only missing $20, bought 2x $100 GCs Oct 3rd and 5th but I feel bad for the people that are missing over $100 worth of credit.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2199 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto
Wait what.... I did not know they ended the promo early. WTH
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
For people didn't know
Shell end the promo on Oct 8 without communication. All they done is update the sign up page to say no more new sign up, and no credit will be given for purchase make after 10am Oct 8.
I have purchase made between Oct 3 to Oct 6 , posted on Oct 8 and 9, and not getting credit.
Today I call shell :

I just call the CS #, 1-800-661-1600 , Press "2". Hold for 15min before someone answer. The answer is ridiculous.
What he told me is NO CREDIT WILL BE PROCESS after Oct 8 - 10am. Not no credit will be progress on purchase made after Oct 8 -10am. Which mean the progress stop at that time.
The HQ know about the wording issue and they will treat it as "Case-by-case" basis. They are in progress of creating a form right now, and it should be ready by end of next week.
He ask me to call back in 2 weeks, so he can send me the form once it is available, once I get the form, I will need to fill up the form, attach all the original receipt for the purchase and a copy of Master card credit card statement and MAIL it to their HQ.
They will then review it on case by case basis and process the statement credit.

That's why I start this poll to see what is the damage. I think a lot of people don't even know the promo ended.
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3188 posts
2083 upvotes
Havo wrote: Actually didn't know they cut it off. I only made 1 purchase after the cutoff. Thanks for letting me know. Back to using my Amex.
no, back to never going to another shell location for the rest of my life.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2199 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, I bought a few amazon giftcards which I'm already through using which I wont get credit for. Thankfully I bought what I was going to use. I was going to get more but came across this thread. Sucks. Pissed off now if anything that they did not communicate this.
Jul 15, 2003
742 posts
274 upvotes
Ottawa
WTF! I went out of my way to buy gas at Shell on October 11th because of this promotion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The way they end it is REALLY REALLY bad, people won't know and keep spending money at their station and not getting credit.
Well, may be that's part of their plan, they SAID they run it till Dec 30, just to end it early oct after people sign up
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wow , so many $300 plus, I should have add more selection, like up to $500 +
I just can't go back to change it now.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3532 posts
1384 upvotes
Toronto
lmao. Honestly the moment I saw all the people trying to milk the system buying all the gift cards I knew it wouldn't last more than 2 weeks.
Sep 29, 2010
366 posts
506 upvotes
impressive there's a few people out over $300 in credit.
i presume credit is defined as the 10% that shell had promised but had reneged.
i'm thankfully just out a few gas and GC purchases (<$50).
it does not matter how much is owed to anyone.
it is the principle of what went down.
folks went to shell under a contract so to speak... and if the contract is not honored... there's a problem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gkdyeung wrote: impressive there's a few people out over $300 in credit.
i presume credit is defined as the 10% that shell had promised but had reneged.
i'm thankfully just out a few gas and GC purchases (<$50).
it does not matter how much is owed to anyone.
it is the principle of what went down.
folks went to shell under a contract so to speak... and if the contract is not honored... there's a problem.
Exactly, it is about the principal
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
cheapshopper wrote: Exactly, it is about the principal
It is not about the principal or even the principle. On RFD it's always about money.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2755 posts
683 upvotes
I'm one of the people out $300 and it sucks big time
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Marzipan wrote: It is not about the principal or even the principle. On RFD it's always about money.

Hahahaha, got to love spell check
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Number of people over $300 lost surprise me. Some of them may be even over $400, $500?
I should have setup the poll with higher limit