• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2023 5:44 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
tofinoguy wrote: I was able to link my Air Miles in the app. Try again.
I should clarify, I was able to link Air Miles but was unable to use air miles at the pump.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
2288 posts
3265 upvotes
Victoria
Why would you need to use it at the pump if it's linked through the app?
It's the same way the Speedpass app works at Esso.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2120 posts
1345 upvotes
Laval
Maximum 20 AM per account...2$ LOL

So how does this work to pay...dont recall seeing a contactless block at shell pumps
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
2288 posts
3265 upvotes
Victoria
mtlmonk wrote: Maximum 20 AM per account...2$ LOL

So how does this work to pay...dont recall seeing a contactless block at shell pumps
Using the app pre-authorizes the pump. You link it to your CC & Air Miles within the app.
If it's like the Speedpass app you just enter the pump number in the app once you're at the station.
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10596 posts
15787 upvotes
GT-EH
yesnomaybe wrote: My Shell has a sign saying 20 bonus Air Miles for first purchase using the app
Yep, I got this offer via e-mail about an hour ago... 20 bonus AM on first use of the app.
Public Mobile Customer, $34/50GB CAN-US
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Picard
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17377 upvotes
Markham
tofinoguy wrote: Using the app pre-authorizes the pump. You link it to your CC & Air Miles within the app.
If it's like the Speedpass app you just enter the pump number in the app once you're at the station.
Re Speedpass. I've been finding that for some reason periodically some pumps are X'd out ie doesn't work so you have to move to another pump. F'ing pain in the a_s.

TIP: If the station is busy and you gotta wait for a pump, open up the app immediately to check the pump you're waiting for isn't X'd out or you'll be waiting only to be pissed it doesn't work at that pump.

Is it really supposed to be that hard?

Even though this problem may not exist at Shell, it likely will also so my tip applies to you.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1942 posts
1746 upvotes
Center of the univer…
In my experience, it only X's out the pumps which are being used at the time and any open pump will not be X'd out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
Got around to trying this today and it's fairly convenient. Will be great in the winter as you won't have to waste time inserting your credit card and AM but can do everything from the warmth of your car beforehand.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
I downloaded and app and had all the credit card and air miles account info loaded and tried to use it the first time this morning and pay the purchase inside the store and it would not process the QR code at all. Tried it 4 times and failed. The station attendant has not even seen this app payment method before at all. So, I wonder if this app is only activated and valid for certain region of Canada ? I am in the GTA (Toronto), has anyone else tried it in the GTA and worked or is it valid only at certain stations with the app sign being advertised? My gas station I visited do not have the Shell app signage at all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
booblehead wrote: I downloaded and app and had all the credit card and air miles account info loaded and tried to use it the first time this morning and pay the purchase inside the store and it would not process the QR code at all. Tried it 4 times and failed. The station attendant has not even seen this app payment method before at all. So, I wonder if this app is only activated and valid for certain region of Canada ? I am in the GTA (Toronto), has anyone else tried it in the GTA and worked or is it valid only at certain stations with the app sign being advertised? My gas station I visited do not have the Shell app signage at all.
I used it successfully at the pump in Burlington. Tried it at a gas station in Kitchener and it did not work there. Once you are at a station if you go to the app and hit pay at the pump or pay inside and it says no Shell locations found it means it's not available there yet. I imagine they are rolling it out in waves.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Tha_Doggg wrote: I used it successfully at the pump in Burlington. Tried it at a gas station in Kitchener and it did not work there. Once you are at a station if you go to the app and hit pay at the pump or pay inside and it says no Shell locations found it means it's not available there yet. I imagine they are rolling it out in waves.
I see. No wonder the station attendant said he has not seen this app payment method.

Edit. I just checked my Shell app. It says the station that I just used has the Shell EasyPay app. Now, I am kind of puzzled.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2991 posts
2815 upvotes
+1000000 upvotes
Fail of a promo, so many reported instances of the app not working or staff not being trained ahead of roll out. And 20 bonus AMs... Meh, will wait for Shell to bump up the points offer
Always buy now & think later, or else you'll regret your decision forever.
The first rule of RFD is to not talk about RFD or call customer service to ask about price errors.
The second rule of RFD is to not forget about the first rule.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
booblehead wrote: I see. No wonder the station attendant said he has not seen this app payment method.

Edit. I just checked my Shell app. It says the station that I just used has the Shell EasyPay app. Now, I am kind of puzzled.
Interesting - I know for sure when I got gas at one particular station it said the station was not found. As puzzled as you are in this case.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
I contacted shell support this afternoon (thru online chat) and they confirmed the station in question is app approved. Shell will forward this failed transaction to their tech department for further investigation and will let me know their findings ASAP
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: I contacted shell support this afternoon (thru online chat) and they confirmed the station in question is app approved. Shell will forward this failed transaction to their tech department for further investigation and will let me know their findings ASAP
update: Shell support got back to me on this failed pay app. The CSR indicated the app is not fully accurate and up-to-date yet, as in terms of stations that are app approved but not yet ready to be used. The app is simply one step ahead in telling users that these stations will be pay app approved and be in use sometimes in the next couple of months time. In other words, you will have to ask the station attendant directly when making the payment.

As for the station I used, it is not ready to be used ... just yet. Hence, that's why the attendant never experience this app payment method. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Dec 12, 2004
555 posts
351 upvotes
Tested it out at the Shell on airport road and jetliner road by YYZ and it worked fine. I like how it supports Apple pay as I'm constantly getting locked out of the Esso app and have to call in to get it fixed. Now if they could only figure out how to do Apple pay at the pump in Canada.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
One of the payment method is Apple Pay (but like you said no pay at pump) and the other credit cards. The screen at the pump said to pay inside so I went in. I also hadn't set up Apple Pay after removing an Amex subsequent to a promotion.

Anyone know if we can switch AM accounts within the app to get the 20 BAM or if deleting the app is required, which is a hassle?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
The two attendants did say I am the first to use this app.

Didn't get exclusive 10 BAM for filling up at least 25L but got the 25 + 3 ( every $20).
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1984 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
Used the app today for the 1st time and got my 20 BAM. I completely forgot I had to use the app before pumping gas, and I did it the other way. Thankfully, you can use the app in store as well (a QR code shows up that you have to scan), and it still counts as using the app. Good for people who may want to buy other things inside, and doesn't want the hassle of having to give your AM card and then paying with your CC. Just scan and you're done.

You can switch between AM cards (you have to log in)
You can add multiple payment methods
You can get the receipt emailed to you and have a record in the app itself

Pretty awesome.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Yes, I can confirm switching to other AM account does result to a 25 BAM as well.

Too bad none of my fill ups (all three above $50) have posted the 10% rebate lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)