Expired Hot Deals

[Shell] EXPIRED: Save 10% on purchases until December 30th with linked Mastercard

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2020 8:02 pm
May 25, 2015
307 posts
717 upvotes
on
Squall21 wrote: You underestimate the power of RFD!! It doesn't really affect me so all the power to them. I'd say we double down and make it 30k.
Brb gonna empty my TSFA for this /s
Jan 24, 2019
138 posts
71 upvotes
Lickzy wrote: This right here. I’d be happy with an investment yielding a 10% annual return. Right now I’m realizing 20% in a few days.

I embellished in saying it’s instant; and it does require some “work”. All I can suggest is buy low and sell high and know your market.
Lickzy my frendd gimme a hint lol
Feb 29, 2012
378 posts
121 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote: I'm all for a good deal and all, but I'm surprised people are willing to drop $$ thousands + $$ of dollars upfront now just to save 10%...

Seriously? You'd consider giving up $15K right now so you can get a 10% discount?
Not $15k but I have routed more than $1500 in spending through this promotion so far.
I have been able to buy prepaid CCs (the Visas are $250 value and the MC is $200 value, which I have already used all of at Costco...)
Plus Safeway GCs and of course fuel.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2784 posts
2381 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Bebo123 wrote: I'm all for a good deal and all, but I'm surprised people are willing to drop $$ thousands + $$ of dollars upfront now just to save 10%...

Seriously? You'd consider giving up $15K right now so you can get a 10% discount?
I don't think that's what he mean.
At least for myself, I am just adding an extra steps for money that I need to spend anyway, following are example:
- I need to order many items from Amazon, those are VERY good deal that I will buy , and I just buy Amazon GC from Shell first, load them on my Amazon account before I order.
- Buy SportChek GC to spend at Sportchek on the same day, to get new shoes, jacket, etc for kids
- Buy Prepaid Visa from shell and go home use them to make online payment
- Buy prepaid Master from shell when I am going to Costco that I need to know I will spend about $400 on this visit
- Buy prepaid Visa from shell to make purchase at store that I need to make big purchase ($3000+)
- Need to re-stock my bar , and stop by Shell before I hit LCBO, that's $300 spend on 1 visit.

So is NOT putting money up-front. I just add a step for money that I spending anyway.
The shell station is less then 5min from my home, so not much effort.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Feb 29, 2012
378 posts
121 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: I don't think that's what he mean.
At least for myself, I am just adding an extra steps for money that I need to spend anyway, following are example:
- I need to order many items from Amazon, those are VERY good deal that I will buy , and I just buy Amazon GC from Shell first, load them on my Amazon account before I order.
- Buy SportChek GC to spend at Sportchek on the same day, to get new shoes, jacket, etc for kids
- Buy Prepaid Visa from shell and go home use them to make online payment
- Buy prepaid Master from shell when I am going to Costco that I need to know I will spend about $400 on this visit
- Buy prepaid Visa from shell to make purchase at store that I need to make big purchase ($3000+)
- Need to re-stock my bar , and stop by Shell before I hit LCBO, that's $300 spend on 1 visit.

So is NOT putting money up-front. I just add a step for money that I spending anyway.
The shell station is less then 5min from my home, so not much effort.
In AB they also have liquor depot/wine and beyond GCs
Jun 19, 2017
624 posts
1155 upvotes
Canada
HotAsHell wrote: Lickzy my frendd gimme a hint lol
I am utilizing and abusing to the full extent, something that has been discussed on RFD for literally years. Likely a dedicated thread to it somewhere, but I honesty don’t know.

Hope that hint helps.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18835 posts
6428 upvotes
Toronto
Lickzy wrote: This right here. I’d be happy with an investment yielding a 10% annual return. Right now I’m realizing 20% in a few days.

I embellished in saying it’s instant; and it does require some “work”. All I can suggest is buy low and sell high and know your market.
Why is no one asking, what is the flip? Where are these people and what are they buying?
So curious ... we are all doing something wrong! Lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1030 posts
840 upvotes
Edmonton
For people buying prepaid Mastercards to use at Costco, you can buy prepaid visas and use those to buy cash cards at costco.ca. I believe the mastercards have a higher activation fee
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8015 posts
1562 upvotes
Burnaby
Activation fee is based on the value of the card. $200 Visa has the same activation as a $200 MC, but percentage wise, activation fee of a $250 Visa is lower (3%?) and a $150 Visa is higher (4.3%)

I haven't seen any $250s in Vancouver, heck some stores like the few I mentioned on the West side refuse to sell GC, or they're cleaned out of everything $100+ like Kerr and 49th
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2784 posts
2381 upvotes
Richmond Hill
crimsona wrote: Activation fee is based on the value of the card. $200 Visa has the same activation as a $200 MC, but percentage wise, activation fee of a $250 Visa is lower (3%?) and a $150 Visa is higher (4.3%)

I haven't seen any $250s in Vancouver, heck some stores like the few I mentioned on the West side refuse to sell GC, or they're cleaned out of everything $100+ like Kerr and 49th
I never saw any $250 prepaid Visa. But for that small differ to add a stop to get Costco Cash card from their website may be a bit much.
I just stop by Shell on my way to Costco.
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8015 posts
1562 upvotes
Burnaby
Actually, I haven't seen any $200 prepaid MCs either... actually for that matter I haven't seen many $200 Visas in Vancouver either. Mostly just $100 MC and $150 Visas

Except for the 4 locations that have their systems down. They have a lot.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2784 posts
2381 upvotes
Richmond Hill
crimsona wrote: Actually, I haven't seen any $200 prepaid MCs either... actually for that matter I haven't seen many $200 Visas in Vancouver either. Mostly just $100 MC and $150 Visas

Except for the 4 locations that have their systems down They have a lot.
that have their systems down <- That's the reason
Jan 2, 2013
158 posts
153 upvotes
Leaf nation
Sorry if this is a stupid question and if it’s been asked but there are a lot of pages to browse for the answer.
I have a Presidents Choice Mastercard and my truck takes well over $100 to fill. Will my card work for this promo if I link?
Oct 18, 2015
282 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Omydeal wrote: Sorry if this is a stupid question and if it’s been asked but there are a lot of pages to browse for the answer.
I have a Presidents Choice Mastercard and my truck takes well over $100 to fill. Will my card work for this promo if I link?
Yes, so far it seems all Mastercards except the prepaid ones work.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44745 posts
5332 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Lickzy wrote: I am utilizing and abusing to the full extent, something that has been discussed on RFD for literally years. Likely a dedicated thread to it somewhere, but I honesty don’t know.

Hope that hint helps.
I think I know what you're talking about, but are you not counting the fees involved when you say 20%?
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Mar 30, 2010
316 posts
166 upvotes
Calgary
I apologize, I skimmed and didn't see how posters are turning 10% discount into a 20% profit. I would love to do that. Can someone point me to the post where it's discussed???

Thanks!

Also, still waiting for a Rogers MC rebate from a Sept 27th purchase of gas and transit pass. Plan to buy gift cards next.

EDIT: Oh, I see- its that 100 AM + 10%
Last edited by gingersb on Oct 4th, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 19, 2017
624 posts
1155 upvotes
Canada
Jon Lai wrote: I think I know what you're talking about, but are you not counting the fees involved when you say 20%?
I pay zero fees for what I am doing.