Expired Hot Deals

[Shell] EXPIRED: Save 10% on purchases until December 30th with linked Mastercard

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2020 8:02 pm
May 28, 2019
150 posts
177 upvotes
markg1000 wrote: Do you honestly think they are going to do that?
If not Shell, then the GC companies for sure once they find out a location is refusing to sell their products.

There's really no debate here. Until Shell revokes the promotion, they can't refuse service.
Aug 2, 2013
68 posts
17 upvotes
AdScientia wrote: If not Shell, then the GC companies for sure once they find out a location is refusing to sell their products.

There's really no debate here. Until Shell revokes the promotion, they can't refuse service.
Yeah so you actually have no idea how the real world works.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18794 posts
6350 upvotes
Toronto
gekaizer wrote: Just went to Yonge and hwy 7 location. They asked for name and license plate, apparently a recent enforcement?transaction was split into $200
Bring a bicycle lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Apr 9, 2009
471 posts
504 upvotes
Calgary
For those that buy the prepaid mastercards doesn't the activation fee negate most of the savings? Is there still an activation fee for those cards?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1301 posts
922 upvotes
Pickering
Phlav wrote: For those that buy the prepaid mastercards doesn't the activation fee negate most of the savings? Is there still an activation fee for those cards?

Yes, they're buying the higher denominations to take less of a hit and save a marginal amount based on the promotional rebate + whatever rebate/discount they receive for using the Mastercard.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
May 28, 2019
150 posts
177 upvotes
Phlav wrote: For those that buy the prepaid mastercards doesn't the activation fee negate most of the savings? Is there still an activation fee for those cards?
There is. However it doesn't scale that much when you go into higher denominations. For example, the $200 GC has an activation fee of (IIRC) $6.95 + tax.
So you spend roughly $207.50 for a $200 GC. But you have 10% cashback from Shell promotion on top of whatever other promotions/cashback cards you're using (for me it's 5% BMO cashback).
So I get 15% cashback just from the purchase. That's 31.125 in returns - the 7.50 from the activation fee, and so I make overall $23.

Activation ranges between $4-6 for lower GC amounts so the best return is of course the $200 as it's less than 10% of the card itself.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13268 posts
3636 upvotes
Scarberia
Yup u take a 4% hit with actv fee and actv fee taxes. I was hoping they would give cb on the prepaid cc. So u can double dip,,U can successfully register the number on shell fuel site but rfders say no CB rebate as they have unique IDs that shell hq knows so it won’t trigger rebate. I haven’t tried it myself to confirm it or not tho it’s all hearsay Ymmv

U can try that 500$ MasterCard power play card too if they sell it. And get free tangerine 4% cb card

GL
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2784 posts
2379 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AdScientia wrote: There is. However it doesn't scale that much when you go into higher denominations. For example, the $200 GC has an activation fee of (IIRC) $6.95 + tax.
So you spend roughly $207.50 for a $200 GC. But you have 10% cashback from Shell promotion on top of whatever other promotions/cashback cards you're using (for me it's 5% BMO cashback).
So I get 15% cashback just from the purchase. That's 31.125 in returns - the 7.50 from the activation fee, and so I make overall $23.

Activation ranges between $4-6 for lower GC amounts so the best return is of course the $200 as it's less than 10% of the card itself.
And it is actually easy money if I just go home to use those prepaid credit card to make online payment , or use couple of them to do in store big purchase.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Nov 24, 2016
434 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary
so will I get the 10% if I only buy GC? Or have to get gas at the same time?
Aug 9, 2014
380 posts
244 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
moonj86 wrote: so will I get the 10% if I only buy GC? Or have to get gas at the same time?
You will not get 10% if you ask a quiestion that has been answered a gazillion times....
Nov 24, 2016
434 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary
razrez wrote: You will not get 10% if you ask a quiestion that has been answered a gazillion times....
I can't read over all 150 pages, from the summary can't see the answer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5908 posts
5683 upvotes
Downtown Canada
moonj86 wrote: I can't read over all 150 pages, from the summary can't see the answer.
You should.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5908 posts
5683 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Just bought more best buy cards and amazon, I am the only person who cleared them out from my shell gas station. I feel good lol
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13268 posts
3636 upvotes
Scarberia
TransporterSD wrote: Just bought more best buy cards and amazon, I am the only person who cleared them out from my shell gas station. I feel good lol
how much how u spent so far? i don't want huge MC statement bills! im just under 1k spent so far , prolly be way more if double dipping those prepaids work! o well saves me driving around like good ole years when i drove around flipping video games lol man i feel bad doing that
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5908 posts
5683 upvotes
Downtown Canada
mikka2017 wrote: how much how u spent so far? i don't want huge MC statement bills! im just under 1k spent so far , prolly be way more if double dipping those prepaids work! o well saves me driving around like good ole years when i drove around flipping video games lol man i feel bad doing that
just shy of 5k. I am not buying master card or visas. I need amazon or bestbuy and along with my capitalone 2% cashback, I get 12% back + air miles which is a bonus.
Apr 2, 2018
465 posts
278 upvotes
Edmonton
TransporterSD wrote: just shy of 5k. I am not buying master card or visas. I need amazon or bestbuy and along with my capitalone 2% cashback, I get 12% back + air miles which is a bonus.
Did you get AM for prepaid Visas or MC? I purchased prepaid visa but no AM for that transaction
Koodo $35/10GB 3 lines, Rogers $42/20GB, Public Mobile $10, Freedom Mobile $37.5/20GB, $45/20GB
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5908 posts
5683 upvotes
Downtown Canada
User772911 wrote: Did you get AM for prepaid Visas or MC? I purchased prepaid visa but no AM for that transaction
I didnt buy any MC or Visas. And yes I got AM for BestBuy/Amazon/LCBO and Google Play
Aug 27, 2006
328 posts
607 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: 403/ Dundas machine down when I went.
If that's 2163 Dundas St. East, Mississauga, the cashier said I could buy gc with cash/debit only around 12pm. Apparently the Manager says, "No Credit Card" payment for gc, and of course the Manager is not back 'til Monday...

401/Weston, the cashier says they took the whole activation machine out...so, after visiting 5 different days, STILL no Shell gc available here. Other gc might still activate, but Shell gc is a definite fail, and that's really the only one I'm interested in. (They kept saying a tech. would fix the machine in 4-6 hours, initially.)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8217 posts
1198 upvotes
TO
cyn88canada wrote: If that's 2163 Dundas St. East, Mississauga, the cashier said I could buy gc with cash/debit only around 12pm. Apparently the Manager says, "No Credit Card" payment for gc, and of course the Manager is not back 'til Monday...

401/Weston, the cashier says they took the whole activation machine out...so, after visiting 5 different days, STILL no Shell gc available here. Other gc might still activate, but Shell gc is a definite fail, and that's really the only one I'm interested in. (They kept saying a tech. would fix the machine in 4-6 hours, initially.)
Yes, and the one 5 mins away also their activation system was down since Fri (roll eyes).
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Apr 13, 2015
322 posts
447 upvotes
Alberta
Jut received my second round of rebates, $130.