Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shell

EXPIRED: Save 10% on purchases until December 30th with linked Mastercard

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2020 8:02 pm
Apr 5, 2006
403 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
Sinco5 wrote: Gassed up Oct 3, no rebate received yet.. hmmm
Same here. Got a rebate for Oct.1 purchase a week ago, but none for Oct.3. Tangerine MC. Make sense complaining and where? Shell? MasterCard?
Jan 22, 2009
180 posts
247 upvotes
For those who have a second thought on how legit this is because people can abuse the deals with gift card purchases.

No worries. I would not be surprised if Shell gets a 20% to 25% of rebate for each gift card sold so they won't care how much you are getting. Their gift card profit margin will still be there.

Even if you purchase bunch of Shell gift cards. You get the 10% up front but when you use the gift card to pay in future, you won't get it. It gives them better cashflows. Could be a way to 'inflate' revenue for some financial reasons. Their financial statements will look better this year. Yes, the gift card liability will carry on but the random usage period by consumer will ease this off in future financial performance.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
It's pretty clear they stopped paying out rebates that weren't already in process when they abruptly cancelled the promotion. 100% we have a fight ahead of us.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1558 posts
734 upvotes
chongb wrote: For those who have a second thought on how legit this is because people can abuse the deals with gift card purchases.

No worries. I would not be surprised if Shell gets a 20% to 25% of rebate for each gift card sold so they won't care how much you are getting. Their gift card profit margin will still be there.

Even if you purchase bunch of Shell gift cards. You get the 10% up front but when you use the gift card to pay in future, you won't get it. It gives them better cashflows. Could be a way to 'inflate' revenue for some financial reasons. Their financial statements will look better this year. Yes, the gift card liability will carry on but the random usage period by consumer will ease this off in future financial performance.
Just an FYI the margin on gift cards is 1 to 5% depending on the card.
Oct 10, 2019
5 posts
8 upvotes
Was not a legally binding agreement established when I signed up for this?
Sep 22, 2008
24 posts
73 upvotes
Montreal
delsheaf wrote: Was not a legally binding agreement established when I signed up for this?
I feel like it is. I wonder if anyone here has a copy of the T&C we signed up for. I'm unsure how the BBB would see unilaterally pulling from this promo without any communication except on the registration page. I signed up on the basis that this promo was available until Dec 31st. I made purchases yesterday on the basis I'd get 10% back. This sucks.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2115 posts
1262 upvotes
We'd probably have more success if it was reported to the competition bureau for false and misleading statements. And to be clear on what I am referring to, its a grey area if they can end it for already registered cards based on the initial terms and conditions but what is clear is that at the time of purchase, before the 8th, the promotion was in effect and they need to honor all of those purchases with the 10% rebate.

For me its too early as mine posted late for my last purchases but lets see what happens next week. Still have hope they will pay it out as they should.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
mogurah wrote: I feel like it is. I wonder if anyone here has a copy of the T&C we signed up for. I'm unsure how the BBB would see unilaterally pulling from this promo without any communication except on the registration page. I signed up on the basis that this promo was available until Dec 31st. I made purchases yesterday on the basis I'd get 10% back. This sucks.
It was posted before but I definitely have a copy. The terms said nothing about subject to change only that they could end registrations early.
Dec 4, 2014
50 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Agree, the competition bureau is the correct place to file the complain. Not sure if Shell could legally terminate rebate for registered card early. But not paying any rebate for purchases before the Oct 8 cut-off date is clearly a violation of the Competition Act. On the first or second post of this thread, the terms conditions page still works, better to take screenshot or print now to save for records. (Now edited to have the T/C link right below)

https://fuelupforless.com/content/terms

If Shell is not honouring those purchases before Oct 8, we should all file complains and start from there

Tbh, I don’t think a big company like shell will risk its reputation on this small campaign dollars. And their legal department shall have already advised the risk of doing so . Maybe like previous posts said, they ran out of budget on this. And now they are under internal process to escalate, assess, debate, decide, and apply for some excess dollars to cover. Usually that is what happened to big companies in such situation and it is quick but still take time for them to react and finalize a plan. But we all have to see in the end, maybe RFD effect has made them lost a billion dollar or something. Who knows
Aug 20, 2015
319 posts
411 upvotes
AB
-
Last edited by Porfiry on Mar 2nd, 2022 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
🇺🇦
Apr 16, 2010
69 posts
23 upvotes
Purchase made on Oct 1 was rebated on Oct 6.

However, two more purchases made on Oct 2 still got nothing

I went to Shell Live chat and they said it should be posted within 3-5 business days and asked me to contact Mastercard
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8048 posts
8623 upvotes
Downtown Canada
kalu0922 wrote: Purchase made on Oct 1 was rebated on Oct 6.

However, two more purchases made on Oct 2 still got nothing

I went to Shell Live chat and they said it should be posted within 3-5 business days and asked me to contact Mastercard
Why are they asking you to contact master card? Are they providing you a number to call?
Telus $30/75GB USA/CAN + $0 VVM (USA roaming + USA calling included) X 5 lines

Seeing ads while surfing the web? Get Ad Guard ad blocker.
Apr 16, 2010
69 posts
23 upvotes
Yes they did provide me a number to call. 1-800-3077309
Said I could call this number to check the status of my rebate

I haven't called yet cuz it's long weekend thinking I'd wait until next week
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
kalu0922 wrote: Yes they did provide me a number to call. 1-800-3077309
Said I could call this number to check the status of my rebate

I haven't called yet cuz it's long weekend thinking I'd wait until next week
Calling it now, mastercard will tell you to contact shell...
Apr 16, 2010
69 posts
23 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Calling it now, mastercard will tell you to contact shell...
So it's useless to contact MasterCard? Even just to check the status of the rebate?

So there is nothing we can do or to call? Just wait?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
1660 posts
1945 upvotes
kalu0922 wrote: So it's useless to contact MasterCard? Even just to check the status of the rebate?

So there is nothing we can do or to call? Just wait?
Once again, as others have already said, this is a holiday weekend, just wait for results next week...
If not, then call the week after...
It's not like it will make much difference now...
We are hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
2288 posts
3265 upvotes
Victoria
turndd wrote: Agree, the competition bureau is the correct place to file the complain.
A disagreement between a consumer and a company has absolutely nothing to do with the Competition Bureau. There's nothing "anti-competitive" that has happened here as it relates to any competition laws.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
3650 posts
3043 upvotes
tofinoguy wrote: A disagreement between a consumer and a company has absolutely nothing to do with the Competition Bureau. There's nothing "anti-competitive" that has happened here as it relates to any competition laws.
False advertising is anti-competitive and definitely a matter for the Competition Bureau. If you advertise a rebate and a customer makes a purchase, you have to pay out the rebate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)