Expired Hot Deals

[Shell] EXPIRED: Save 10% on purchases until December 30th with linked Mastercard

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2020 8:02 pm
Dec 31, 2012
185 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
vivibaby wrote: Really now?
Why not? I deserve it. I followed their promo, followed their T&C and you're telling me I shouldn't ask for my 10% back that I deserve?

Please educate me why I shouldn't ask for it /why i don't deserve it. I'm really curious
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2815 posts
1337 upvotes
Ttraww wrote: Why not? I deserve it. I followed their promo, followed their T&C and you're telling me I shouldn't ask for my 10% back that I deserve?

Please educate me why I shouldn't ask for it /why i don't deserve it. I'm really curious
I would say your compliance with the conditions make you qualify for the rebate. Deserve is not an appropriate term.
Loose lips sink ships. | Her Majesty's Naval Service
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2998 posts
1801 upvotes
McMaggot wrote: I would say your compliance with the conditions make you qualify for the rebate. Deserve is not an appropriate term.
I cant believe I actually need to do this, but maybe you dont know the definition of the word, but here it is for you

"to merit, be qualified for, or have a claim to (reward, assistance, punishment, etc.) because of actions, qualities, or situation: "

Seems to me that @Ttraww actually does DESERVE his 10% back.
Got that Fido Account!!
Got that Zoomer Account!!
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6514 posts
2181 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I cant believe I actually need to do this, but maybe you dont know the definition of the word, but here it is for you

"to merit, be qualified for, or have a claim to (reward, assistance, punishment, etc.) because of actions, qualities, or situation: "

But they ended the promo and in the terms and conditions, they have every right to end it whenever they want. The transaction was done past the day that date. Not that I agree with them in how it was handled because there was no email sent out to announce the cancellation.

How was everyone made aware of this deal in the first place? Were they emailed about the promo or was it just a sign at the store. If they took the sign down, then it would suggest that the promo is over no?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2815 posts
1337 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I cant believe I actually need to do this, but maybe you dont know the definition of the word, but here it is for you

Are you by any chance THE Bob Loblaw from Bob Loblaw's Law Blog? Only Bob Loblaw lobs law bomb.
Loose lips sink ships. | Her Majesty's Naval Service
Oct 20, 2013
205 posts
104 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: But they ended the promo and in the terms and conditions, they have every right to end it whenever they want. The transaction was done past the day that date. Not that I agree with them in how it was handled because there was no email sent out to announce the cancellation.

How was everyone made aware of this deal in the first place? Were they emailed about the promo or was it just a sign at the store. If they took the sign down, then it would suggest that the promo is over no?
That's part of the problem. The sign only exists on their website. So when it's cancelled, you have to check their website. No email notification, nothing. Shell cancelling 3 weeks into a 3 month promo is bullshit. Sure they may or may not be in the right, but it is shady as **** and we have our right to complain.

What's to stop another company from following suit? Create some bullshit promo claiming to last a year then cancel it the very next week so any unsuspecting idiot will bite on it and they'll have every right not to give out rebate to them.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1671 posts
707 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: But they ended the promo and in the terms and conditions, they have every right to end it whenever they want. The transaction was done past the day that date. Not that I agree with them in how it was handled because there was no email sent out to announce the cancellation.

Technically they don't have the right to end the promotion early if you read the terms. They only gave themselves the right to stop accepting new cards for Registration. They broke their own terms but what's anyone going to do? No one is going to sue them over it so they took their chances vs loss continuing the promo.
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6514 posts
2181 upvotes
Squall21 wrote: That's part of the problem. The sign only exists on their website. So when it's cancelled, you have to check their website. No email notification, nothing. Shell cancelling 3 weeks into a 3 month promo is bullshit. Sure they may or may not be in the right, but it is shady as **** and we have our right to complain.

What's to stop another company from following suit? Create some bullshit promo claiming to last a year then cancel it the very next week so any unsuspecting idiot will bite on it and they'll have every right not to give out rebate to them.
Yeah but if it's written in the terms, then they're legally in the right but I agree it's shady as ****.

How many of us actually visits Shell's website? Is it a promo for everyone or only targeted towards a specific target market? Maybe the ones who were emailed of the promo received an email about the offer's cancellation as well? All of this is speculation.
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6514 posts
2181 upvotes
RAINMAN0 wrote: Technically they don't have the right to end the promotion early if you read the terms. They only gave themselves the right to stop accepting new cards for Registration. They broke their own terms but what's anyone going to do? No one is going to sue them over it so they took their chances vs loss continuing the promo.
I registered my card for the promo but wasn't able to take advantage of the offers as well. If what you say is true, then we shouldn't let them get away with it.

I don't know how they can offer this and not take a loss.
Jan 9, 2014
690 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
arcty5 wrote: Is this offer still working?
it could still work, just gotta complain a lot :D
Oct 20, 2013
205 posts
104 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: Yeah but if it's written in the terms, then they're legally in the right but I agree it's shady as ****.

How many of us actually visits Shell's website? Is it a promo for everyone or only targeted towards a specific target market? Maybe the ones who were emailed of the promo received an email about the offer's cancellation as well? All of this is speculation.
I don't think they'll create a webpage that anyone can access if it was targeted. If it was targeted, you'd think they'll provide a unique code or something. But honestly, speculating is moot because we'll never understand their train of thought since nothing about this promo made sense from the very beginning.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1303 posts
926 upvotes
Pickering
Wow, completely forgot about this thread. Glad it's still going strong and you guys haven't given up.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5913 posts
5682 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Richard1986 wrote: Wow, completely forgot about this thread. Glad it's still going strong and you guys haven't given up.
when it comes to credits, nobody gives up, unless you don't value your money.
Jun 8, 2007
94 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver
I didnt get credited for Oct 3rd purchase.. what can i do?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2156 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: Yeah but if it's written in the terms, then they're legally in the right but I agree it's shady as ****.

I received the promo from my Hudson's Bay Mastercard. I have yet to receive an email saying the promo ended early.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3725 posts
2126 upvotes
esq05 wrote: I received the promo from my Hudson's Bay Mastercard. I have yet to receive an email saying the promo ended early.
you should call HBC M/C. Maybe it still works for your HBC M/C which the original promotion was targeted.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1350 posts
582 upvotes
Ottawa
I didnt get credited for Oct 3rd purchase.. what can i do?
I say wait, especially if it posted to your MC after Oct 8 at ??:00 AM. They've promised that credits that didn't go through by Oct 8 at ??:00 AM (for purchases before Oct 8 at ??:00 AM) will be done manually but might take a while. I figure it could be a couple of months, assuming they're sincerely looking through all $50+ MC transactions.

My purchase was Sat Oct 5 and posted Oct 9 or Oct 10. It's pretty obvious they just disabled the automated credit routines as of the early cancellation, and now they have to go back and find the transactions (I'm still subscribing to "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence"). That's a big job, especially since some cards were posting faster than others in the first place (I think my earlier Shell purchase took 5 or 6 days to post to Rogers MC in Sep, in that case the credit showed up the same day the charge finally went from pending to posted).

Or you can spend a lot of time and effort chasing Shell for it now. Which might or might not get it to you sooner. Whether that's worth it is partly dependent on how much -- if you just bought $50 in gas (so $5) vs $1000 in GCs (so $100).

=aw

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)