Expired Hot Deals

[Shell] EXPIRED: Save 10% on purchases until December 30th with linked Mastercard

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2020 8:02 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1290 posts
783 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
These issues are not a problem here on west coast lol
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3170 posts
2044 upvotes
Langley
angryaudifanatic wrote: What's the max amount I can put on one Shell gift card?

Can I drop $3K and call it done?

I want to get this card, https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credi ... astercard/
Drop the min. spend and get a ton of miles.

This card would net 3300 miles on $3000 of spend. That's a 12.2% return BEFORE this Shell promo.
The largest shell denomination I saw was $100. So you would have to get 30 gift cards...lol
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3170 posts
2044 upvotes
Langley
AdScientia wrote: So if I usually aim around $45 on a tank, I can go inside grab a few snacks and make the total $50, then with $5 I'm just basically paying for a tank of gas and free snacks?

Let's gooooooooooo
I think it has to be in the same transaction, so you can't have a receipt for $45 and a receipt for $5. That doesn't count.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3170 posts
2044 upvotes
Langley
canucks4life wrote: These issues are not a problem here on west coast lol
What's funny is that when I was seeing people on the east coast commenting on how their cars can't even fill up for $50 because of their lower gas prices, I actually thought, "Good thing I live on the West Coast"... Then I thought about that and realized i'm an idiot...
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13704 posts
3752 upvotes
GTA
jellytime wrote: I think it has to be in the same transaction, so you can't have a receipt for $45 and a receipt for $5. That doesn't count.
But he can fill up and then go in and pay for snacks + gas together
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3170 posts
2044 upvotes
Langley
RolandCouch wrote: But he can fill up and then go in and pay for snacks + gas together
Hmm. how exactly does that work? Do you just leave your credit card with the CSR at shell, they open up the terminal you're at, you fill up, then go inside and pay the appropriate amount and add the snacks?

Don't you always have to prepay or preauthorize?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1664 posts
1341 upvotes
Buy gas and lottery for 50$ and up , use your Samsung Pay offer , get the 20 AM for the Shell Pay app and get the 10x AMs for Premium gas as well. Also get 3 AM bonus until end of year for filling with Premium gas. So you get 10% of the amount spent, 25 AM per week + 10+3+more AMs for the promos they currently have. Best deal out there.
Oh, and get 1.75-2% from you card (Rogers, other MCs)
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13704 posts
3752 upvotes
GTA
jellytime wrote: Hmm. how exactly does that work? Do you just leave your credit card with the CSR at shell, they open up the terminal you're at, you fill up, then go inside and pay the appropriate amount and add the snacks?

Nope. I routinely do this (not the buying snacks part). I usually fill at CT and I always fill up first then go in to pay after I fill up. Pay at the pump is only required at specific pumps.
Nov 25, 2003
630 posts
269 upvotes
OK, just another point of validation. I asked Mastercard Canada via DM on Twitter if this is legit and they confirmed - Yes it is.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3823 posts
3167 upvotes
No Bum Deals
zod wrote: Maybe? I think a CC bill just shows the merchant? If you pay for gas inside/outside it shouldn't matter. I'm not sure they can make it report to your CC different to show it's not gas.
Possibly. I'm pretty sure they have a fair idea in-house about what SKU's are selling and their margins. GC's make a small profit for the seller even if they sell $ for $. It depends where this 10% is coming from, but I can only assume it is direct from Shells coffers.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/10 - 1x Koodo 35/7 - 1x Fido Data 0/3 🢀
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
12739 posts
5142 upvotes
The Kid wrote: What gift cards do they currently sell at Shell stations?
So I just called my local Shell (the one that was closed last night).

Same as with the store that's open 24 / 7 -- They don't sell any bus passes ... and no grocery store Gift Cards ...

She told me, for example, they have Amazon GC, Starbucks etc etc ... But no grocery store ones ... and I am sure no Shoppers Drug Mart either, for example.

I am in Winnipeg, MB.
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
12739 posts
5142 upvotes
cipher wrote: Same here. I drive a Honda Fit and I'd have drive until completely empty and the price of fuel is at least $1.25 before I see a $50 fuel up.
Put as much as you can in your car's tank ... and put the rest in the plastic red gas container (those come in different sizes too) :)
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
12739 posts
5142 upvotes
malaujai wrote: No, what I meant was that there's nothing to stack by buying shell gas giftcards because when you pay for the gas, you're using the GC and so therefore you don't get the "stacked 10%" (you got the original 10% when buying the GC) since it's not one of their approved Mastercards.
But can wait until the end of the promo ... and use those Shell GCs then ......

Meanwhile one can use their MasterCard if putting gas at Shell ... and get 10% from gas purchases as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1593 posts
356 upvotes
smackioio wrote: Buy gas and lottery for 50$ and up , use your Samsung Pay offer , get the 20 AM for the Shell Pay app and get the 10x AMs for Premium gas as well. Also get 3 AM bonus until end of year for filling with Premium gas. So you get 10% of the amount spent, 25 AM per week + 10+3+more AMs for the promos they currently have. Best deal out there.
Oh, and get 1.75-2% from you card (Rogers, other MCs)
Can you shoot over a link or two for the AM promotions? I've only been able to find the 3 AM bonus and the 20 AM bonus for Shell app. Where do you see the 10x AMs for premium gas?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1593 posts
356 upvotes
Darkman wrote: But can wait until the end of the promo ... and use those Shell GCs then ......

Meanwhile one can use their MasterCard if putting gas at Shell ... and get 10% from gas purchases as well.
Semantics but what you're describing isn't stacking the existing 10% discount. I suppose there could be a future promotion where the method of payment allowed is Shell GC's that you could stack with it, however.
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
12739 posts
5142 upvotes
goopat wrote: Probably varies by stations, the one near me have cineplex, MCD,Starbucks, Canadian tire
10% off McDonald's GC .. (or any other restaurant that one visits often enough) ... - is a pretty good deal.
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
1014 posts
1051 upvotes
Can you use a shell gift card to buy a shell gift card?
Nov 25, 2009
499 posts
276 upvotes
Vancouver
HailHydra wrote: Can you use a shell gift card to buy a shell gift card?
This is how they cancel our deals now LOL
Oct 27, 2017
717 posts
577 upvotes
jellytime wrote: Hmm. how exactly does that work? Do you just leave your credit card with the CSR at shell, they open up the terminal you're at, you fill up, then go inside and pay the appropriate amount and add the snacks?

Depends on location and time of day whether you're required to pre-authorize or not.
Mar 27, 2006
270 posts
162 upvotes
Darkman wrote: 10% off McDonald's GC .. (or any other restaurant that one visits often enough) ... - is a pretty good deal.
Amex plat has 3x points for MCD, Starbucks and KFC purchases, equivalent to 7-10% depending on how you use the Aeroplan/Avios. Not a big advantage to buy them in this promotion unless your MC card gives you extra.
Canadian Tire has up to 15% discount elsewhere.
Sobeys has Airmiles promotions which discount more.

SDM card and Shell cards could be considered. Anything else?