Expired Hot Deals

[Shell] EXPIRED: Save 10% on purchases until December 30th with linked Mastercard

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2020 8:02 pm
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2019
503 posts
649 upvotes
I wonder if I can stand outside a Shell gas station and sell $100 gift cards for $97.50? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 20, 2008
1328 posts
683 upvotes
DonkeyDoo wrote: I wonder if I can stand outside a Shell gas station and sell $100 gift cards for $97.50? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I'm sure everyone would be comfortable paying $97.50 to the shady guy standing outside of the gas station offering discount gift cards. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3724 posts
2125 upvotes
Darkman wrote: So I just called my local Shell (the one that was closed last night).

Same as with the store that's open 24 / 7 -- They don't sell any bus passes ... and no grocery store Gift Cards ...

She told me, for example, they have Amazon GC, Starbucks etc etc ... But no grocery store ones ... and I am sure no Shoppers Drug Mart either, for example.

I am in Winnipeg, MB.
SDM gcs are available at all Shells in Sask.
Member
Nov 25, 2009
483 posts
267 upvotes
Vancouver
Wait, can you go and just buy the gift cards? Do you have to also fuel up some?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3724 posts
2125 upvotes
lawonga wrote: Wait, can you go and just buy the gift cards? Do you have to also fuel up some?
the exact question has been answered a few times already.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 19, 2014
3145 posts
2021 upvotes
Langley
RolandCouch wrote: Nope. I routinely do this (not the buying snacks part). I usually fill at CT and I always fill up first then go in to pay after I fill up. Pay at the pump is only required at specific pumps.
Interesting, I feel like they stopped doing this in Vancouver, the only options are pre-pay or preauthorize if you go in. I guess it's locationd dependent.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 7, 2007
12446 posts
5014 upvotes
Let's see what would be better for me CURRENTLY:

I am in Winnipeg .. and put my gas Mobil, where, if using PCF World Elite MasterCard, I'd get 3% from total amount spent on the gas purchase ... PLUS 9 cents off / L ...

Get it all back in the form of PC Optimum points (to be used at RCSS, Shoppers, No Frills etc), which is basically like true "cash money" for me.

So let's see ... My car takes 65 L in the tank .... So run the gas down ... until need, say, 50 L ... just for calculation sake as well.

Currently gas sells in Winnipeg for something like $1.07 cents / L (106.9) ... for regular gas that I buy. So,

1) Stop at Mobil gas station and buy 50 L even worth of gas ... get back $4.50 (via 9 cents a L. back) ... and 50 x $1.069 = $53.45 spent ----------- get back 3% from that as mentioned above ... = $1.60 ......... 4.50 + 1.60 = $6.10 back in total ... in the form of PC Optimum points.

2) Stop at Shell gas station .. but buy 50 L even worth of gas ... and pay for transaction with Rogers 1.75% cash back MC ........
50 x $1.069 = $53.45 spent
Get from that 10% (statement credit ... in cash) = $5.35 ............ PLUS ... get 1.75% cash back on $53.45 spent (with Rogers MC) = $0.94 cents cash back
So,
5.35 + 0.94 = $6.29 back in total ... in the form of Cash. :)

So current Shell promo in my example would get me $0.19 cents more (per this kind of transaction).

It's good ... but now I am not sure if I should bother .... for $0.19 cents more per such fill ... (i fill up once a week, once every 2 weeks ... or somewhere in between ... plus when I fill up ... I don't generally spend $53.45 or so ... I can put gas whenever ... - when it's half tank full, when it's somewhat under half tank full, when I like the price that I see at the pump ... etc ... ---------- Basically, I am not obligated to buy $50 or more to get promo 10%).

Any comments on that?

Is it worth it for me to bother with this Shell promo ... for, maybe $0.19 cents or so more (depending on the price of gas), possibly on bi-weekly basis at that (considering I have to put 50 L in the tank or so .. and not say 40 L etc, as I often put)?

19 cents x 2 = Is it worth it to me, to bother with Shell promo, for some 38 extra cents / month ... and having to worry about some term and conditions etc? :)

I understand buying "no gas" items .. such as Gift Cards etc ... -- which is already another story, and surely worth it to buy at Shell, if they happen to pay up (some bought already ... so we'll see how it plays out for them).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 19, 2014
3145 posts
2021 upvotes
Langley
Darkman wrote:
Is it worth it for me to bother with this Shell promo ... for, maybe $0.19 cents or so more (depending on the price of gas), possibly on bi-weekly basis at that (considering I have to put 50 L in the tank or so .. and not say 40 L etc, as I often put)?

19 cents x 2 = Is it worth it to me, to bother with Shell promo, for some 38 extra cents / month ... and having to worry about some term and conditions etc? :)

I understand buying "no gas" items .. such as Gift Cards etc ... -- which is already another story, and surely worth it to buy at Shell, if they happen to pay up (some bought already ... so we'll see how it plays out for them).
If you're just doing gas, I feel like it's not worth your time. BUT, if you're doing gift cards, it's definitely worth it.

Amazong, starbucks, timmy's, shoppers, cineplex, the keg.... Those are all worth it. IMO
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 7, 2007
12446 posts
5014 upvotes
youbet wrote: .
Amex plat has 3x points for MCD, Starbucks and KFC purchases, equivalent to 7-10% depending on how you use the Aeroplan/Avios. Not a big advantage to buy them in this promotion unless your MC card gives you extra.
Canadian Tire has up to 15% discount elsewhere.
Sobeys has Airmiles promotions which discount more.

SDM card and Shell cards could be considered. Anything else?
ml88888888 wrote: SDM gcs are available at all Shells in Sask.
I just called my local Shell (not too far from my place) ... and SDM Gift Cards are not available there.

I am in Winnipeg, MB
Newbie
Aug 19, 2019
33 posts
19 upvotes
jellytime wrote: Interesting, I feel like they stopped doing this in Vancouver, the only options are pre-pay or preauthorize if you go in. I guess it's locationd dependent.
Over 10 years ago now BC put Grant's Law in place (Gas attendant who died after someone pumped and run, dragging him under their car if I remember correctly?)
Prepaying has been mandatory in the whole province since then.
I think Alberta has put something similar in place a couple years ago as well, but isn't gas pretty much free east of the rockys?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6350 posts
5554 upvotes
EhJay42 wrote: Over 10 years ago now BC put Grant's Law in place (Gas attendant who died after someone pumped and run, dragging him under their car if I remember correctly?)
Prepaying has been mandatory in the whole province since then.
I think Alberta has put something similar in place a couple years ago as well, but isn't gas pretty much free east of the rockys?
In Ontario after around 11pm or 12am lots of gas stations make you pre pay and only via window, shell pretty much exclusively only operates like that after hours.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 7, 2007
12446 posts
5014 upvotes
jellytime wrote: If you're just doing gas, I feel like it's not worth your time. BUT, if you're doing gift cards, it's definitely worth it.

Amazong, starbucks, timmy's, shoppers, cineplex, the keg.... Those are all worth it. IMO
Thanks for your input ... Yes, I figure so anyhow ... Not worth for me to bother just with gas at Shell ... I think I'll just continue getting gas at Mobil (which is just near my place, conveniently located).

As to Gift cards ... - I am not interested in Amazon, Starbucks, Timmy's, Cineplex at present time.

Shoppers GCs - are not sold at Winnipeg locations (not the two locations that I asked).

Didn't ask about Keg ... I will ask :)

Keg possibly is a good deal ... if go there from time to time ... costly place ...but getting $5 off on $50 ... or $10 of on $100 spent ... is nice. Don't see anything wrong with it.

P.S.

Just called my local Shell again .... and they DO sell there Keg GC ( 25, 50 and 100 dollars )... and then the lady goes to me suddenly: "You were asking for SDM gift cards? .. and I said "No" ... -- Looks like I was wrong, as we do sell SDM GC ( 25 and 50 dollars ). :)

So SDM gc is sold at Winnipeg's Shell then ... Earlier I was simply misinformed... Always best to stop there yourself and check the GC inventory on your own. :)
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2005
948 posts
1625 upvotes
Victoria
HailHydra wrote: Can you use a shell gift card to buy a shell gift card?
Why would you want to?
You only get 10% if the purchase is charged to a Mastercard.
If you use a Shell gift card for tender you wouldn't get 10%.
Sr. Member
Jul 13, 2016
798 posts
476 upvotes
tofinoguy wrote: Why would you want to?
You only get 10% if the purchase is charged to a Mastercard.
If you use a Shell gift card for tender you wouldn't get 10%.
yes, but...

DM me if you still don't get it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2884 posts
2896 upvotes
GTA
@Darkman yeah every Shell has different selection and inventory, and smaller $$ denominations sell out quickly.

The Keg ... What about Milestones/Kelsey's etc, do those appeal to you?

LCBO and others can be given as gifts, however, we prefer not to stock up on too many GCs.

So, if I were you, I would continue buying gas at Mobil, unless a gift card catches your eye:)
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 7, 2007
12446 posts
5014 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: @Darkman yeah every Shell has different selection and inventory, and smaller $$ denominations sell out quickly.

The Keg ... What about Milestones/Kelsey's etc, do those appeal to you?

LCBO and others can be given as gifts, however, we prefer not to stock up on too many GCs.

So, if I were you, I would continue buying gas at Mobil, unless a gift card catches your eye:)
Keep in mind that I am in Winnipeg ... (not everyone lives in Toronto / Ontario and such) ... lol :)

I don't think we even have those here ... I could be wrong though ... as not entirely sure about it right now.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2884 posts
2896 upvotes
GTA
Darkman wrote: Keep in mind that I am in Winnipeg ... (not everyone lives in Toronto / Ontario and such) ... lol :)

I don't think we even have those here ... I could be wrong though ... as not entirely sure about it right now.
Yep, realize you are in Winnipeg!

Check out all via The Ultimate Dining Card

However, you're right, if none of these are near you ... the cards may not be at your Shell either!

p.s. maybe I was thinking of Moxie's ... there's one in Winnipeg, however, not sure if Shell sells Moxie's GCs
Last edited by mzmoney on Sep 24th, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
1874 posts
1321 upvotes
condo
tofinoguy wrote:
Why would you want to?
You only get 10% if the purchase is charged to a Mastercard.
If you use a Shell gift card for tender you wouldn't get 10%.
emilio911 wrote: yes, but...

DM me if you still don't get it.
What I think he or she is referring to is buying a shell gift card at 10% discount using a Mastercard. And then waiting for other shell offers and promos on GC purchases and stacking the deals.

So example, $90 cost for $100 shell GC. Then using that $100 shell gift card to buy Amazon or Sport Chek GCs etc when they offer additional discount and/or bonus airmiles.

Did I get it right? Do I win a prize Face With Tears Of Joy

Top