Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shell

TD Visa Double the Cash Back Infinite 6% at Shell Gas Stations Now till Dec 31-2022

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2023 11:04 am
Nov 16, 2010
33 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know if anyone remember. Two years ago Shell came up with similar promotion (10% rebate I think). But the promotion was quietly stopped in October, thus tricking people to continue using Shell after the promotion period. And you wouldn't find out until 8 weeks later. Be extra careful when dealing with Shell.
Sep 29, 2010
779 posts
1596 upvotes
i recall that... apply termed "shellgate"...
it was with mastercard and i believe shell did not require a gas purchase to qualify for the money back... so folks were buying gift cards...
to the point where shell took notice and retracted their promo without informing folks who registered for it...
some folks i think got the promo after the fact through credit card "chargeback."
quite the fiasco. hoping that does not happen this time.
ddaacc wrote: I don't know if anyone remember. Two years ago Shell came up with similar promotion (10% rebate I think). But the promotion was quietly stopped in October, thus tricking people to continue using Shell after the promotion period. And you wouldn't find out until 8 weeks later. Be extra careful when dealing with Shell.
Feb 17, 2019
166 posts
185 upvotes
Just reviewed my TD Rewards history and can also confirm it's only been 3% cash back so far.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
greatgordini wrote: i recall that... apply termed "shellgate"...
it was with mastercard and i believe shell did not require a gas purchase to qualify for the money back... so folks were buying gift cards...
to the point where shell took notice and retracted their promo without informing folks who registered for it...
some folks i think got the promo after the fact through credit card "chargeback."
quite the fiasco. hoping that does not happen this time.
That was Shell promotion, this time it was TD promotion in conjunction with Shell so it should not be the same
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
I got some bonus with TDRewards, could that be the Shell 6% promotion?
2021-09-16.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3158 posts
3525 upvotes
Montreal
mkl38s wrote: I got some bonus with TDRewards, could that be the Shell 6% promotion?

2021-09-16.jpg
I did the math with my gas purchase in August and it match the bonus I got 2-3 days my August statement was issued.

$3.17 is the extra 3% of all my purchases at Shell.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210916-074223.png
<no self promotion>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
SquadG wrote: I did the math with my gas purchase in August and it match the bonus I got 2-3 days my August statement was issued.

$3.17 is the extra 3% of all my purchases at Shell.
I couldn't figure out mine. $8.48 bonus would mean I spent $282 in gas in the last 30 days which is definitely not.

NVM, I take it back. I spent about that much in gas in August actually :(
Sep 29, 2010
779 posts
1596 upvotes
no clue what time frame the first "credit card earn" covers...
i can tell you it is not double what i earned in the month of august...
might have to call TD to ask....

figured it out... it was all of August 2021 6% cash back on gas (rather just the extra 3% on top of the 3% already earned).
it did not count the 1 shell gas station i went to that showed up as a "market" on my receipt...
mkl38s wrote: I got some bonus with TDRewards, could that be the Shell 6% promotion?

2021-09-16.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3779 posts
6258 upvotes
Did the math:

First shell purchase July 28 to latest shell purchase Aug 26 totaling $532.88.

added up all the cash back + gas accel. which added to $15.98.

received credit card earn bonus on Sept 10 - $15.99

532.88 x 0.06 = $31.97

$15.99 + $15.98 = $31.97

So the math checks out correctly.

This was for gas and my work group lotto. As an extra bonus, I've also netted over 100 airmiles as well in that month from just Shell alone. (95 AM = instant $10 off, at stores like Staples, Sobeys, Metro, Shell, Doordash GC, Ubereats GC, and other GC's from Airmiles site)

I've seen GC's at the Shell station, especially Amazon GC's. The 6% has to work on those. Although, I haven't bought any yet.
Oct 25, 2008
26 posts
6 upvotes
choclover wrote: There is a link to the list in the e-mail from Shell describing this promotion.
I tried pasting the list here but it didn't work. The link takes me to a pdf and not an actual webpage or URL.
I went back to the email and it doesn't show it
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3779 posts
6258 upvotes
Is anyone's cash back activity on the Tdrewards site seem to have become inactive? My site's last activity is Sept 11, it's like it stopped recording the transactions.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2388 posts
2200 upvotes
The additional [TD Rewards Points][TD Points][Cash Back] available through this offer are calculated solely on new purchases (other than gift cards) at Shell service stations (excluding Flying J) located in Canada charged by a Participating Cardholder to their Account (the "Eligible Purchases") and will only be earned during the Offer Period
So, yeah, they learnt from 2 years ago.

Doing the math I think this nets ~0.10/L savings.

E.g. Gas price for V-Power 91 was 1.749 at a local station tonight. On a 50L fill:
$1.749/L * 50L * 0.94 (6% savings) / 50L = ~$1.644/L

Registered with my FCT but, don't really feel like earning travel points so... probably will pass on this promo. And like others have said, Shell (especially their premium gas) is amongst the most expensive. There are other reasons to fill Shell, but from a money saving standpoint... not the best.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
sammko wrote: I went back to the email and it doesn't show it
The list they sent me is a picture and I don't know how to post it. If there is a particular city you're in I can see if it is on the list. Or you could contact Shell directly and have them send you the list.
Sep 29, 2010
779 posts
1596 upvotes
i noticed this as well.. nothing past sept 12 for me... i'm glad to see i'm not the only one... suggests it's a system problem on their end perhaps...
called in to TD to see WTF is up... they confirmed it is a known issue on their end that they are working on...
they gave me a ticket confirmation number... which is nice but i would imagine they would fix everyone's when they fix the system (as opposed to just those who get a ticket number).
Allen84 wrote: Is anyone's cash back activity on the Tdrewards site seem to have become inactive? My site's last activity is Sept 11, it's like it stopped recording the transactions.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3779 posts
6258 upvotes
greatgordini wrote: i noticed this as well.. nothing past sept 12 for me... i'm glad to see i'm not the only one... suggests it's a system problem on their end perhaps...
called in to TD to see WTF is up... they confirmed it is a known issue on their end that they are working on...
they gave me a ticket confirmation number... which is nice but i would imagine they would fix everyone's when they fix the system (as opposed to just those who get a ticket number).
Thanks for taking the effort in finding out. I thought I did something wrong and was revoked of my cashback privileges. Glad I wasn't the only one that this was happening to.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2006
1248 posts
785 upvotes
just got an email regarding 4X cash back on the next 3 times I pay with easy pay. in the email it refers to this 6% cash back (says we know you opt in for the 6% already), so with 4X, they said I would get 12% cash back.
has anybody else got this email?
Jun 18, 2004
750 posts
664 upvotes
Vancouver Island
bobobee wrote: just got an email regarding 4X cash back on the next 3 times I pay with easy pay. in the email it refers to this 6% cash back (says we know you opt in for the 6% already), so with 4X, they said I would get 12% cash back.
Yes. Feels dirty. Doesn’t Shell have a partnership with Air Miles and hence should be promoting BMO credit cards?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2010
1022 posts
2153 upvotes
Alberta
bobobee wrote: just got an email regarding 4X cash back on the next 3 times I pay with easy pay. in the email it refers to this 6% cash back (says we know you opt in for the 6% already), so with 4X, they said I would get 12% cash back.
I got the same email about an hour ago. I mean, we need to download the Shell app? Hmmmm.
Images
  • s1.png
  • s2.png
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
yeah I too got the email and already got extra 2x more when I used EasyPay app in September. Now I will get 12% or 14%? The email is very confusing. 12% for total 3 times or each time we get 12%?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2006
1248 posts
785 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: yeah I too got the email and already got extra 2x more when I used EasyPay app in September. Now I will get 12% or 14%? The email is very confusing. 12% for total 3 times or each time we get 12%?
Ooo you got 2X extra already for easyapp? I think it's 12% each time for the next 3 fill ups using easyapp.
I never took advantage of the 6% cash back since the summer, since Shell was always more expensive, and other gas stations had more attractive offers, but at 12% that's pretty good. plus the bonus boom 5AM, and personal offers for each 30L fill up.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)