Expired Hot Deals

[Sherwin Williams] Paints and Stains 40% off Sept. 18-21, (Use $10 off coupon over $50 or $15 off coupon over $75)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 8:19 am
May 26, 2013
26 posts
12 upvotes
First time painter here. Looking to paint my new place next weekend. I've read that some of the SW paints are easier to use than others due to thickness and potential for leaving lines. I will be painting the entire apartment. Any recommendations on which type of paint to go with? (Duration, SuperPaint, etc.) Thanks!
Dec 14, 2005
156 posts
29 upvotes
scubasteve0989 wrote: First time painter here. Looking to paint my new place next weekend. I've read that some of the SW paints are easier to use than others due to thickness and potential for leaving lines. I will be painting the entire apartment. Any recommendations on which type of paint to go with? (Duration, SuperPaint, etc.) Thanks!
I used super paint throughout my home (including kitchen, bathrooms) and it is fantastic.
May 26, 2013
26 posts
12 upvotes
pricerror wrote: I used super paint throughout my home (including kitchen, bathrooms) and it is fantastic.
Thanks for the info! Can you tell me which finish you used? Flat, velvet, satin or semi-gloss?
Oct 25, 2008
477 posts
303 upvotes
Montreal
wildzero wrote: Looking to paint my basement. It's a home theatre so it'll be dark colour, maybe a grey. Is it with splurging on the top paint here, or will the cheaper stuff suffice?
Depends what bugs you.. I typically paint with Behr paints and tried Sherwin “Captivate” this week (wife wanted ‘French Gray’ and only found it in Sherwin).
I opted for the Captivate as it was similar in price to the Behr paints I usually buy.
I wouldn’t paint with that paint again- paint had a strong smell, finishing painting Wednesday and it still smells today. Luckily its a basement room and we don’t use it often. It does look good, but so does Behr..
Last edited by Fr0sty on Sep 19th, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 24, 2007
542 posts
558 upvotes
Kelowna
scubasteve0989 wrote: First time painter here. Looking to paint my new place next weekend. I've read that some of the SW paints are easier to use than others due to thickness and potential for leaving lines. I will be painting the entire apartment. Any recommendations on which type of paint to go with? (Duration, SuperPaint, etc.) Thanks!
I've used pretty much every paint Sherwin offers including most of the commercial line. I would never use anything less than Superpaint these days and actually quite like the Duration line. (Thats what I've been using nearly everywhere now and I like it.)

I would go with a Satin paint for everything but the matte paint could be used in the bedrooms and living room if you like that look. Usually you want a shinier paint for the bathrooms and kitchen and once upon a time that always meant Semi-gloss but these days people are even using matte in there (I wouldn't recommend it though however satin is fine).

The general rule is that the shinier the paint, the easier it is to wash down. Important in the kitchen (or if you have messy young kids) and you usually want something with mold preventative in the bathroom since the shower means high humidity which can wreak havoc on paints.

Trim paint is usually better to have a sheen as well since they take more abuse than typical walls however lots of people prefer aesthetics over function so will paint everything in a matte. Up to you really. Talk to the people in the store and you'll learn what you need to.

Also realize that if you're buying enough paint for the entire house (and not a single color for each room), it's often much cheaper to just buy a 5 gallon pail instead. You might have some extra but it'll keep for touch up and repaints. You'll also be guaranteed that the color will remain consistent whereas even fractional differences in 1 gallon cans are often noticeable. Thats why mixing all your cans together then re-separating is often wise or just make sure to start a new can on a new wall and be mindful of touchups.
Jun 12, 2007
784 posts
394 upvotes
I just painted a room with their cheapest Captivate stuff. Came to $32 for a gallon. Didnt notice any strong smell in my small room..
Seems a bit thicker than the Behr stuff. Still took me 3 coats to paint white on a grey wall.
Feb 28, 2016
48 posts
4 upvotes
I'm finishing hanging the drywall in my attached garage this weekend and planning on painting it next weekend. Any recommendation on which product to use? I'm debating between just primer, or using one of the paint and primer in one products. Thanks!
Feb 3, 2019
212 posts
172 upvotes
wildzero wrote: Looking to paint my basement. It's a home theatre so it'll be dark colour, maybe a grey. Is it with splurging on the top paint here, or will the cheaper stuff suffice?
I got their "Emerald Designer" highest quality paint and it was amazing, I even painted the wooden stairs without having to sand it down. I had to purchase more paint but the sale ended so I cheap out and went with Behr and it was such a terrible decision.
Dec 14, 2005
156 posts
29 upvotes
scubasteve0989 wrote: Thanks for the info! Can you tell me which finish you used? Flat, velvet, satin or semi-gloss?
Satin is great - still looks good after being cleaned.
Apr 4, 2017
132 posts
94 upvotes
I painted my whole house with SuperPaint in satin. Used 2 coats and it went on pretty well and looks pretty good. I haven't used other paints though so I have no real comparison.
Dec 27, 2012
146 posts
83 upvotes
Bowmanville
Which is the enamel for painting shelves so that the paint doesn't lift and tear when you take things off of them? I didn't realize that you needed special paint, now I have to repaint my board game closet.
Sep 25, 2019
276 posts
310 upvotes
Our painters now use SW Resilence for all outdoor, as it dry quick.

If it is brand new build, better use SW Emerald or go with BM. You cannot use Emerald or BM on old paint, it will be too thick and cause old paint to come off when dry.

If it old place and you paint over, use 123 primer & SW super paint; it adhere good to old paint and thin, so it not cause old paint to come off when dry. For outdoor heavy duty, our painters order Kilz Porch Floor from back east for friends & family; for customer, we use Behr (cheap & very very good).

If bright light place, you can go with a dark color trim. If not bright light place, it better trim is lighter color than wall.

Our painters use SW super paint or resilience or for brand new, Emerald. Color good and good price.
Aug 13, 2020
167 posts
483 upvotes
My mom is very frugal and she always spends a lot on paint. She will usually repaint every 10-15 years if at all.

We use cheaper paint from Home Depot and I think it usually needs a repaint in 3-5 years. They seem to loose their color or perhaps some shine over time and they seem dull, specially with the darker colors. I also tried $9.99 primer from Walmart, it worked but it was like water and I needed 3 coats.

Painting is a Lot of work.... you might want to do it once, and do it well. Make sure you get a good quality painting masking tape (Blue or Green is usually better than the off-white contractor grade tape) lots of newspapers to put on the ground, get 1 expensive paint brush (Take good care of it) and a few smaller cheaper brushes. Get the normal size rollers and some smaller one (like 4 inches wide) for moldings and door frames.

Most people buy latex paint but I love Oil Paint as it lasts a long time and has a nice "velvety" texture. My wife hates the smell and since the latex paints theses days are a lot better, we'll usually go with latex.

Also I painted a room with black shiny paint in an older house. It wasn't very good, you could see imperfection and scratches that you wouldn't notice on lighter paints.

Good luck and post some pictures :)
Last edited by IslandDeal on Sep 19th, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 4, 2006
579 posts
250 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
Nirofe wrote: I'm finishing hanging the drywall in my attached garage this weekend and planning on painting it next weekend. Any recommendation on which product to use? I'm debating between just primer, or using one of the paint and primer in one products. Thanks!
Check out the mistints at the stores ... then get the highest quality paint . The only concern is that you need to find a colour that you like. But the saving is tremendous ... think $20 for a $80 gallon can. You probably won't find a white but if your lucky you'll find a cream. If you want colour in the garage ... then you will have lots of luck. Hit up the local stores to see what they got.
Mar 5, 2016
624 posts
388 upvotes
Considering painting the garage. I've always used SW Emerald for interior paint and it is fantastic. Any ideas on a paint for the garage? It's indoor but it might see some harsher elements.