Shopping Discussion

Shi**y Bell and the Source

  • Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 10:51 pm
20 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22932 upvotes
Toronto
This was broadcasted on CBC's The National last night.

85-year-old with Alzheimer's a victim of unethical sale at The Source, says son
Ross Miller, an 85-year-old with Alzheimer’s disease, went to The Source in Toronto to buy a TV. Instead, a salesperson sold him much more than he intended to buy, he said. An insider with The Source says constant pressure to hit unrealistic sales targets is forcing employees to make unethical sales.

Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1781 posts
2827 upvotes
Canada, eh?
This is not surprising. The only reason why Bell cancelled and refunded was cause it turned out to be a PR nightmare.

The Source solely exists these days because the direction that was set by the Bell execs was to have it aggressively push for subscriptions, contracts, and extended warranty. That’s their main revenue source; not so much on traditional retail products.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
3063 posts
2908 upvotes
Guelph
Could Bell just, you know, try not to be evil for once. Even their "nice thing," Bell Let's Talk, is nothing more than a big advertising campaign and none of the money actually goes anywhere useful.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
6421 posts
6860 upvotes
GTA
What a missed opportunity for Bell. They take advantage of him to sell him all sorts of things he didn't need, and forgot to oversell him on the thing he did: a TV.
c'mon get happy!
Member
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
443 upvotes
Ottawa
I HATE SHOPPING AT THE SOURCE. I literally sweat if I know I have to go there for whatever reason because I need something they sell and it's close by and Walmart doesn't have it. Every time I go to The Source, I get borderline harassed as to who my service provider is, how much I'm paying, what I'm getting, etc. Their aggressiveness is something else. Anybody whose gone into The Source should not be surprised by this article. A friend of mine says she's told her parents they should not be going to The Source as they're elderly and she's afraid the same thing will happen to them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8609 posts
5532 upvotes
Mississauga
There was a time where it's predecessor Radio Shack was a decent place to shop and had knowledgeable staff. Now it's all about profits, Profits, PROFITS!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
6421 posts
6860 upvotes
GTA
mrweather wrote: There was a time where it's predecessor Radio Shack was a decent place to shop and had knowledgeable staff. Now it's all about profits, Profits, PROFITS!
You must have frequented a good one. The Radio Craps I always seemed to walk in to were overpriced, full of bored commission drone employees, and had shoddy service. The Source is a bit better in some ways, but obviously a lot worse in others.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4015 posts
3880 upvotes
Toronto
Not going to comment on what the source or bell did but if the man has such a serious illness where was his family or care taker? I think that should be the real story here.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15828 posts
21573 upvotes
Vancouver
BernardRyder wrote: You must have frequented a good one. The Radio Craps I always seemed to walk in to were overpriced, full of bored commission drone employees, and had shoddy service. The Source is a bit better in some ways, but obviously a lot worse in others.
Radio Shack was awesome. 20-packs of assorted LEDs and electrolytic capacitors, little strong magnets, shortwave radios, and the free battery of the month club. Anyone else get the complete set of 8 Engineer’s Mini Notebooks by Forrest M. Mims III, including the elusive Communication Projects only sold in the US?

I have only stepped into a The Source store once in the last 20 years, to pick up the scratch & dent special TV I ordered online. Lucked out with that one, zero hours on the clock and half MSRP.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
6421 posts
6860 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote: Radio Shack was awesome. 20-packs of assorted LEDs and electrolytic capacitors, little strong magnets, shortwave radios, and the free battery of the month club. Anyone else get the complete set of 8 Engineer’s Mini Notebooks by Forrest M. Mims III, including the elusive Communication Projects only sold in the US?

I have only stepped into a The Source store once in the last 20 years, to pick up the scratch & dent special TV I ordered online. Lucked out with that one, zero hours on the clock and half MSRP.
Free battery of the month club? I must know more about this.
I'm envisioning a spec sheet with important dimensions and background information, and a centrefold picture.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15828 posts
21573 upvotes
Vancouver
BernardRyder wrote: Free battery of the month club? I must know more about this.
I'm envisioning a spec sheet with important dimensions and background information, and a centrefold picture.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
It was a little card that they’d punch or stamp. You got a free Radio Shack brand zinc-carbon battery every month. Choice of 9V, D, C, AA, and possibly AAA. Speaking of which, are C cells still a thing? They used to be super common, but I haven’t had a device that uses them in decades, and I can’t recall even seeing them for sale for years. But maybe I’m just not looking.
Sr. Member
Dec 8, 2009
695 posts
740 upvotes
I remember being at The Source one time and they were asking me about my current Cable/Internet/Phone costs and when I told them they thought I was making it up. I think they were upset they couldn't pitch me anything because what they were offering was worse and cost more.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20559 posts
9075 upvotes
Toronto
WMPCOT wrote: Not going to comment on what the source or bell did but if the man has such a serious illness where was his family or care taker? I think that should be the real story here.
+1. Couldn't his son help him buy a tv or order one online for him. Seems like his family has given up on him. Sad
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12233 posts
3223 upvotes
--
iverson wrote: Your text to link here...

85-year-old with Alzheimer's sold Bell products and services he can't use after visit to The Source
Quite a few years ago a Mazda dealer did much worse to an elderly woman, sold her a $30,000 car for around $65,000 I think it was.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2517 posts
1851 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Kiraly wrote: Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
It was a little card that they’d punch or stamp. You got a free Radio Shack brand zinc-carbon battery every month. Choice of 9V, D, C, AA, and possibly AAA. Speaking of which, are C cells still a thing? They used to be super common, but I haven’t had a device that uses them in decades, and I can’t recall even seeing them for sale for years. But maybe I’m just not looking.
Kid's toys still use Cs.

I too remember the free battery.
Member
Feb 22, 2017
404 posts
272 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
It was a little card that they’d punch or stamp. You got a free Radio Shack brand zinc-carbon battery every month. Choice of 9V, D, C, AA, and possibly AAA. Speaking of which, are C cells still a thing? They used to be super common, but I haven’t had a device that uses them in decades, and I can’t recall even seeing them for sale for years. But maybe I’m just not looking.
I’ve seen some kids toys still use C cells But Ds seem to be more common lately out of the larger batteries
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15828 posts
21573 upvotes
Vancouver
WMPCOT wrote: Not going to comment on what the source or bell did but if the man has such a serious illness where was his family or care taker? I think that should be the real story here.
Alzheimer's is not a black and white thing. It's not like one day you don't have it and the next day you need a caregiver. It can be a very long slow progression. Going out and shopping for a TV, as well as living alone, are well within the realm of what people with early onset Alzheimer's can do. Family might even have known he was TV shopping and didn't count on some scammy sales rep taking advantage of him like this.
Sr. Member
Dec 29, 2014
515 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Terrible. These things happen more often than you think and it's one reason why I lost faith in the human race.

I don't believe that it's just a very small percentage of people who do terrible things. There's a long list of reprobates... from murderers to rapists to scammers of all types. How many different types of scams are there? I've lost count. There's never a shortage of terrible people willing to do terrible things to others.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
3803 posts
3192 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I've been in The Source and have been hounded by high pressure sales staff. Reminds me of years ago with Future Shop pushing their Extended Warranties that made them money and they refused your item when it needed warranty work.

I'm not surprised at this story, some greasy salesman wanted some commish.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)