Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3193 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Shift in scope of responsibilities

Interesting situation I'm finding myself in, and looking to consider what options I might wish to pursue but thought I'd throw the situation out to see if anyone has any input I should also make note of.

Anyways, I work for a company - was hired back in July as a Manager supporting the team members that work directly with patients (it's a pharma company). I reported directly into the VP when I was hired, and was given full autonomy to run the department - including process development, impact of operational decisions, etc...it was a much smaller company when I began.

Fast forward to now - two additional layers of management have been hired that are above me. Naturally - the responsibilities which were once mine have been shifted away or are slowly being taken away. Essentially i'm a glorified CSR (not that there's anything wrong with being a CSR, it's just far from what I was hired to do). My original employment agreement highlighted many of the duties which have now been taken away - so i'm wondering if this might be considered constructive dismissal. To make matters worse - this company has a horrible problem with lack of communication.

I know that, especially in a growing company, evolution of duties and responsibilities is to be expected and also as are the expansion and addition of employees - but to have those duties removed and my role change so fundamentally is an entirely different situation. I'm not even involved in planning or offered the opportunity to provide my input - something that the CEO specifically told me was a reason I was originally brought on board when I started (he's not a part of these meetings now, but just gives another example over how small the company was when I began versus now).

I first raised this to HR & the managers who are above me back at the end of 2018 because - really, I figured, I owe it to myself to get them to be accountable and provide some level of transparency. I was met with an empathetic acknowledgement and an assurance that a meeting would be set up so we could discuss further - but to-date, nothing has happened.

So here I am, basically preparing for either;
- Continued absolute silence
- To eventually be laid off
- ??

Normally I'd just start looking for another employment opportunity - but a complication to this matter is that I've found I will be relocating out west to BC in the summer due to the spouses employment, so it's a bit of a shitty situation to have to find employment, only to leave them a few months later - and that's assuming I can even land a position between now and then. I don't want to cause waves with a company taking a chance on me like that.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? I don't want to come across as a whiny person - but having never been in a situation like this, I'm unsure whether it's something I should take more seriously. After describing this to a few colleagues of mine they mentioned that its definitely not reasonable that I should be strung along like this.

Anyways - appreciate any and all thoughts and feedback.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1748 posts
1726 upvotes
Why do you care? You just said you are moving in the summer so you will be quitting anyway. Just coast till you move and quit. Stop stressing about it and just take it easy at work till you quit in the summer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3193 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ProductGuy wrote: Why do you care? You just said you are moving in the summer so you will be quitting anyway. Just coast till you move and quit. Stop stressing about it and just take it easy at work till you quit in the summer.
Fair point, sorry I guess the only reason I started to care was because I'm starting to see the signs of some re-orgs as they've started to let a bunch of people go, but you're not wrong.

If I can coast through to the summer that's the ideal situation.
References
HeatWare
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5957 posts
1291 upvotes
Toronto
Changing your job description substantially and essential you are "demoted" seem you have a case of constructive dismissal.

Are you looking into this case so you can claim EI as you move?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3193 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No Frills wrote: Changing your job description substantially and essential you are "demoted" seem you have a case of constructive dismissal.

Are you looking into this case so you can claim EI as you move?
Looking into it for a few reasons, one being that if I do get laid off; whether I can use it as more leverage to push for increased severance

Or yea - if I need to look for EI. I would only apply for EI if I get let go.

I've also just never been in a situation like this so never really gave it this much thought until other people started saying I'm crazy not too.
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1748 posts
1726 upvotes
Chrispy wrote: Looking into it for a few reasons, one being that if I do get laid off; whether I can use it as more leverage to push for increased severance

Or yea - if I need to look for EI. I would only apply for EI if I get let go.

I've also just never been in a situation like this so never really gave it this much thought until other people started saying I'm crazy not too.
If you started working there in July the most severence you’d get is only 4 weeks. It’s typically 4 weeks per year of service max. Not really worth the hassle or stress trying to fight the shift in responsibilities if you will be leaving the company in a few months. Play along and move on in the summer
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3193 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ProductGuy wrote: If you started working there in July the most severence you’d get is only 4 weeks. It’s typically 4 weeks per year of service max. Not really worth the hassle or stress trying to fight the shift in responsibilities if you will be leaving the company in a few months. Play along and move on in the summer
Well, fair enough - but severance isn't a hard-set rule ever. For sure. I worked at blackberry and negotiated to double the severance they initially offered me.
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1748 posts
1726 upvotes
Chrispy wrote: Well, fair enough - but severance isn't a hard-set rule ever. For sure. I worked at blackberry and negotiated to double the severance they initially offered me.
Yeah but that’s probably with years of experience there not just one year. This company would offer you two weeks for the year service and most you can get is 4 weeks. You are comparing apples and oranges or should I say blackberries and oranges lol
Sep 24, 2004
947 posts
562 upvotes
Scarborough
A few months ago a friends wife was exactly in the same situation. Ultimate she was let go. The package wasn't so great. Last when I spoke to her she was working with the lawyers to get a better package. Do you think she'll succeed...your guess is as good as mine.

In your situation all you can hope is the timing works in your favor (based on your summer move). Start looking in BC with a summer start date, the only downside is if it's time to move and they haven't laid you off, you loose your severance. If that matters to you. Keep your eye's and ears open on what's happening at work (which I suppose you're already doing).

Good luck..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)