• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2022 3:11 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2022
8 posts
11 upvotes

Shingle Replacement through Insurance

Hello RFD

My neighbour was getting some of his shingles fixed and the roofer recommended that my whole roof needs a shingle replacement. He suggested that it may be covered by Insurance. Roof is about 12 years old.

My question is if I put a claim through Insurance and after inspection they decide that shingles do not need to be replaced, then am I still responsible for deductible, as no work was done?

Thanks for your help!
12 replies
May 28, 2007
430 posts
169 upvotes
Peterborough
Was roof damaged by storm?
Nov 18, 2021
38 posts
26 upvotes
Did this roofer actually tell you there was damage on your roof with photo evidence (or anything you can see yourself)?
May 26, 2020
75 posts
64 upvotes
Normal wear and tear is not covered by insurance
[OP]
Feb 28, 2022
8 posts
11 upvotes
Yes there was some damage from the wind and he did show me pictures. Shingles are okay but replacement would be better to avoid future issues.

My question is not whether it's covered or not, I just want to know that if I put a claim and it's not covered, are you still responsible for deductible?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
2744 posts
2975 upvotes
GTA
ashrem wrote: Yes there was some damage from the wind and he did show me pictures. Shingles are okay but replacement would be better to avoid future issues.

My question is not whether it's covered or not, I just want to know that if I put a claim and it's not covered, are you still responsible for deductible?
You are responsible for the deductible if it is covered. If it is not covered then you are responsible for the total cost.

You might want to check your insurance policy to see if they have a pro rated payout based on the age of your roof even if approved. Getting a small benefit may not be worth putting in a claim causing increased rates going forward.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5790 posts
2550 upvotes
Durham
It only cost me $4000 to do my entire roof last year ... not a big deal ... got minimum 10 years of worry free ....

no point in wasting time and headaches going though insurance unless the wind RIPS OFF 1/4 of your roof

Cant believe ppl actually want to make claims just for the hell of it
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7474 posts
7977 upvotes
First, you'll have a deductible to pay. Second, insurance will only pay for damaged shingles, and not to replace the whole roof. If only one side have damages, they will only pay for this side

You do not have to pay deductible if you inquire to your insurance but do not claim. But, from there, insurance will know that you have damaged shingles, and if there is any claim in a near future for water infiltration damages, then you may have a hard time claiming for those amages as you, and the insurer, previously knew that the shingles were damaged
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1131 posts
525 upvotes
GTA
Doesn’t make sense to put in a claim on a 12 year old roof unless you have no other choice. It’s close to the end of life cycle depending on type of shingles. I would think something like this would fall under maintenance of property, cost of ownership.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
4999 posts
5785 upvotes
GTA
ashrem wrote: Yes there was some damage from the wind and he did show me pictures. Shingles are okay but replacement would be better to avoid future issues.

No you don't have to pay the deductible if it's not covered. Even though you're not asking, no, insurance won't pay to redo your entire roof. It will only pay for the damaged section. It sounds like the damaged area is small so it will cost less than your deductible so there's no point in making a claim.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1131 posts
406 upvotes
Cambridge
jdmfishingonly wrote: It only cost me $4000 to do my entire roof last year ... not a big deal ... got minimum 10 years of worry free ....

no point in wasting time and headaches going though insurance unless the wind RIPS OFF 1/4 of your roof

Cant believe ppl actually want to make claims just for the hell of it
Hi,

I'm planning to get my roof done this year.. could you share more details like what shingles you used, what all things you got done, area, labour cost etc.? Feel free to PM if you prefer.
TIA
Dec 26, 2012
510 posts
389 upvotes
Hamilton
i'm going through a claim right now due to a windstorm a couple weeks back. i lost a huge patch at the front right of my house and i have ripped and broken shingles all over other areas too. the roof is from 2016 (before i moved in) and i've had a bunch of roofers in looking at it and all saying i need a roof replacement as it's too bad to patch up. I'm going through insurance right now and they're assessing a replacement vs an emergency repair.

one thing they made clear to me though is that if i don't proceed with the work, it doesn't affect my premiums and there is no claim on my record. Because my deductible is so high, i'm only going to put the claim through if they provide me with a roof replacement. Anything less and i'll just get it patched and prepare for the next windy day until i can afford a total roof replacement.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5790 posts
2550 upvotes
Durham
jansh84 wrote: Hi,

I'm planning to get my roof done this year.. could you share more details like what shingles you used, what all things you got done, area, labour cost etc.? Feel free to PM if you prefer.
TIA
I recommended my roofer to a buddy of mine in Stouffville and she said that she don't do that area ... she said she's based out of Durham and only does Durham.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)