• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2020 11:41 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7947 posts
1625 upvotes
Toronto
Huck50 wrote: Is there a certain time of year to get the first of two Shingrix shots? Thanks,Huck50
No, you can get the first of the two Shingrix shots anytime. However, there is a recommended max-min interval between that first shot and the second.
Jul 14, 2017
162 posts
18 upvotes
Canada
Jimbobs wrote: No, you can get the first of the two Shingrix shots anytime. However, there is a recommended max-min interval between that first shot and the second.
Yes,I was aware of the 2-6 month interval after the initial shot...Thanks, Huck50
Jul 27, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
My nurse practitioner (haven't been able to get a doctor in a decade) told me Costco is the cheapest place to get prescriptions including the shingles vaccine. One needs to be 50 years old or older to qualify. The new one is more expensive than the one my friend got 3 years ago but it helps with the pain caused by shingles. I learned of the vaccine after my mother got the shingles. Since then I know a few who have had them so immunization seems worth it to me if one can afford it. I'm going to have to borrow to do so as my regular meds are a stretch as it is.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1257 posts
570 upvotes
Ontario
I've still got a few years to go but how long do these vaccines last before you need another?
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1789 posts
771 upvotes
London
Just an FYI, since I don't see it mentioned:

There are some minor side effects from Shingrix.
To various degree, some will experience body aches, chills, soreness, etc. for a day of two afterwards. (it's normal)
It is pretty minor minor relative to shingles, and in no way am I suggesting it as a reason not to get the vaccine.

Just be aware, as some recipients are surprised to experience this.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10807 posts
5878 upvotes
Markham
IcarusLSC wrote: I've still got a few years to go but how long do these vaccines last before you need another?
Shingrix is a one and done ...until it's not or you want a boost.

Call your health plan provider as some cover this even though it might say it doesn't cover vaccines.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1257 posts
570 upvotes
Ontario
gr8dlr wrote: Shingrix is a one and done ...until it's not or you want a boost.

Call your health plan provider as some cover this even though it might say it doesn't cover vaccines.
Thanks for the information.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
CherylS53822 wrote: My nurse practitioner (haven't been able to get a doctor in a decade) told me Costco is the cheapest place to get prescriptions including the shingles vaccine.
Depends on whether the pharmacist(s) on staff are qualified to adminster injectable vaccines. Not all, at least in B.C., are.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3195 posts
1797 upvotes
Edmonton
Had the "new" Shingrix done about two years ago. Two shots are required so there is a charge for each. Zostavax is likely still available but it's not the recommended one now.

Keep in mind that your health plan is provincial so any coverage will vary province to province. Just because Zostavax may be covered does not mean that Shingrix will be so if inquiring, do not just say shingles vaccine, specify the one you want. If you have a supplemental health care plan, you may be able to get coverage there.

I purchased mine at Costco. It was more a matter of finding it as there was a shortage at the time and there still may be. If you find it, get both doses at the same time and put the second on ice. If you go to Costco (and most likely any pharmacy, they will reserve and store your second dose if you pay for it). I just took mine away because Costco charges to administer the dose and my doctor did it for free (at least free to me but likely charged the government).
Last edited by starchoice on Oct 8th, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 7, 2010
72 posts
23 upvotes
T.Dot
Upvote and reply to keep this active. This is no longer an old-person issue as a relative in early 40s developed oral shingles and has multiple 'relapse' of painful symptoms.
serbianbelle wrote: I had shingles 2 or 3 years ago. Didn't know I could have had a vaccine to prevent shingles. My doctor told me after that episode there is a waiting period of 2 years after which I can get a vaccine. I've read one can wait 1 year? Since my GP works at a clinic, patients are expected to get everything they need at the clinic. Which means clinic controls prices, for things not covered. That includes shingles vaccine. So I started asking around. Went to Guardian Pharmacy, the cost is $224.00, visited Shoppers Drug Mart, $420.00, Rexall was $214.00. I've been told and have read the vaccine is over $200.00. What surprised me is the price difference. How can one pharmacy charge double? Are all pharmacies providing same vaccine?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3661 posts
2461 upvotes
I wonder what the pre-conditions are for getting it and if there are other ways to prevent it other than a vaccine. Do the vaccines provide 100% immunity and if yes, so for how long? At what age should one be getting the vaccines. I'll ask my doctor as well, but just curious what others have been told by their GP.
Allan in T.Dot wrote: Upvote and reply to keep this active. This is no longer an old-person issue as a relative in early 40s developed oral shingles and has multiple 'relapse' of painful symptoms.
Honestly I didn't even know it was an old person issue. All I know it's really painful based on the description of others.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Sep 7, 2010
72 posts
23 upvotes
T.Dot
If you've chicken pox, then there is a chance you will develop shingles. It remains dormant and for whatever the triggers are (I think it was stress due to COVID and the kids being at home in this case), then you can develop full-blown shingles. If I am not mistaken, this is not a true vaccine that renders you immune, it just helps reduce the intensity and duration of the outbreak.

And yes, very painful and oral shingles is even more dangerous given the proximity to the brain and eyes.
hierophant wrote: I wonder what the pre-conditions are for getting it and if there are other ways to prevent it other than a vaccine. Do the vaccines provide 100% immunity and if yes, so for how long? At what age should one be getting the vaccines. I'll ask my doctor as well, but just curious what others have been told by their GP.

Honestly I didn't even know it was an old person issue. All I know it's really painful based on the description of others.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10807 posts
5878 upvotes
Markham
If I were ppl, check your health plan first as it may be covered (it's not cheap to pay out of pocket), then discuss with your Doctor. It's supposed to be for those 50+. @hierophant easiest to just google and read FAQ.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 14, 2017
162 posts
18 upvotes
Canada
For anybody interested,my wife and I just got our second and last dose of Shingrix on Thursday. Each dose per each was $157.06...my insurance paid $147.95.First doses were in March,they were $153.82 each,back then.All together price for the two doses were $310.85 for each of us.
OHIP does not cover Shingrix. HB