Shopping Discussion

Ship iphone between USA and Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2021 6:33 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2020
3 posts

Ship iphone between USA and Canada

I am currently living in Toronto and using Tmobile’s network.
I recently ordered new iphone 12 pro on contract from tmobile because I am getting very lucrative discount on it. Its being shipped to my friend’s address. What will be most affordable method to get that iphone being shipped from usa as We cant drive across border now ? I will also need to ship my old iphone back to get trade discount so would also need to figure out canada to usa shipping for used phone.
9 replies
Sep 16, 2015
566 posts
1127 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Ship from Canada to the USA using a service like Chit Chats Express. They accept your package at a Canadian office and send it across the border and hand it off to the US Postal Service for delivery. As long as your trade in phone is valued at less than $800, there will be no customs and brokerage fees.

The cheapest way to get your new phone from the US to Canada is by the mail service, as someone above already stated. If you want it faster, have it sent by FedEx or UPS air (includes most of the brokerage fees in the price - you'll have to pay GST/HST, duty and a handling fee) . DO NOT use a surface courier like UPS Standard or FedEx Ground, because they charge extra for brokerage and it will be very expensive.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2020
3 posts
Kiraly wrote: Each country’s postal service will most likely be the cheapest. Canada Post will collect sales taxes based on the declared value, and $10 brokerage fee from you when you pick it up at the post office.
I have used USPS before to send documents from USA to Canada and found it is the cheapest option. Not sure about phones as they have mentioned lithium batteries as restricted items.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2020
3 posts
jaybeeg wrote: Ship from Canada to the USA using a service like Chit Chats Express. They accept your package at a Canadian office and send it across the border and hand it off to the US Postal Service for delivery. As long as your trade in phone is valued at less than $800, there will be no customs and brokerage fees.

The cheapest way to get your new phone from the US to Canada is by the mail service, as someone above already stated. If you want it faster, have it sent by FedEx or UPS air (includes most of the brokerage fees in the price - you'll have to pay GST/HST, duty and a handling fee) . DO NOT use a surface courier like UPS Standard or FedEx Ground, because they charge extra for brokerage and it will be very expensive.

Thank you. Do you know how can I send phone through UPS air ? I called one UPS service center from Pittusburgh PA and they said they can only send phones through UPS Ground with taking care of brokerage and customs fees. I am sure that is going to be expensive.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3451 posts
2068 upvotes
London
RohanP8871 wrote: I have used USPS before to send documents from USA to Canada and found it is the cheapest option. Not sure about phones as they have mentioned lithium batteries as restricted items.
most of those apply to lose batteries not batteries installed within a device. just don't ship it by air has to be by ground. best bet would be have him ship it to you by usps first class mail.
Feb 12, 2021
1 posts
I have two cell phones to ship from Maine to my daughter in Nova Scotia, and she will have two trade ins to ship back to me.

I am wondering how this worked out for you, and if you might have recommendations about which company to ship with.

Thanks!
Aug 3, 2007
6 posts
Waterloo
Ah. Found this thread.

I am trying to ship my old iPhone from California to Ontario. I tried USPS myself and the package got returned because it has a battery. I took the package to a UPS store and the clerk there packaged it for me, but the package still got returned because of it has a battery. seriously!

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1742 posts
1226 upvotes
Vancouver
UPS Ground will ship lithium batteries and products with lithium batteries in them. UPS Air will ONLY ship products containing lithium batteries. However both need the item to be properly labelled and marked. This info & needed labels are available on their website.

I can also suggest emailing - [email protected] - for more info

UPDATE:

Here is some more detailed info regarding shipping lithium batteries with UPS (as of Nov-2020)

DG Contract stands for Dangerous Goods contract and needs specialized training, insurance etc. I.E. Items needing a DG contract cannot be shipped by most customers
SHIPPING BY GROUND (STANDARD):

UN3480 with lithium ion watt hour that is greater than 100Wh for the battery and greater than 20Wh for the cell is fully regulated and requires a DG contract and setup.

UN3480 with lithium ion watt hour that is less than 100Wh for the battery and less than 20Wh for the cell is lightly regulated and can be shipped without a DG control and setup as long as it is labeled in compliance with Regulations and UPS requirements.

UN3481 with lithium ion watt hour that is greater than 100Wh for the battery and greater than 20Wh for the cell is fully regulated and requires a DG contract and setup.

UN3481 with lithium ion watt hour that is less than 100Wh for the battery and less than 20Wh for the cell is lightly regulated and can be shipped without a DG control and setup as long as it is labeled in compliance with Regulations and UPS requirements.

SHIPPING BY AIR:

UN3480 with lithium ion watt hour that is greater than 100Wh for the battery and greater than 20Wh for the cell is fully regulated and requires a DG contract and setup.

UN3480 with lithium ion watt hour that is less than 100Wh for the battery and less than 20Wh for the cell is fully regulated and requires a DG contract and setup.

UN3481 with lithium ion watt hour that is greater than 100Wh for the battery and greater than 20Wh for the cell is fully regulated and requires a DG contract and setup.

UN3481 with lithium ion watt hour that is less than 100Wh for the battery and less than 20Wh for the cell is lightly regulated and can be shipped without a DG contract and setup as long as it is labeled in compliance with Regulations and UPS requirements. *** UPS requires the IATA packing instruction statement mentioned on all packages that contain lithium batteries and are being shipped by AIR (anything other than STANDARD).
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Dec 1, 2021
1 posts
Hi Rohan, I am also in the same boat . Which is the best option ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)