Shopping Discussion

Shipping Charges to my Credit Card -- But nothing was shipped!

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2021 1:47 pm
[OP]
May 19, 2021
1 posts
1 upvote

Shipping Charges to my Credit Card -- But nothing was shipped!

Looking for some advice on this situation that came up yesterday.

I had to order a spare part from Danby Appliances for our broken AC unit, and within minutes of placing the order online, I realized that I had ordered the wrong part. I immediately tried calling the company four times, and sent a message via their website explaining that I actually needed to change the order.

About 1.5 hours later, I get an email back from a customer service rep who said that the part that I wanted had been discontinued, and asked if I wanted to cancel the order. So, I say that yes to cancelling the order -- I do not wish to receive a spare part that I don't need. They inform me that they have put forward a refund request, so I figure that the issue is settled.

But, I receive an email later saying that my order was processed after asking to have the order cancelled. I call the company to ask what is going on, and they said that the refund has been granted (for the $6 part), but that the shipping cost ($12) will still be charged to my credit card. According to them, they already printed a Purolator shipping label, and were already charged for the transaction. So, I asked them to call me back today to explain why they are charging me for shipping for an item that never left their warehouse. I have been met with silence.

Any advice/thoughts on how to best proceed with getting a refund on this phantom shipping cost from Danby????
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2891 posts
1557 upvotes
London
dont matter if they printed a label or not until the carrier picks the package up that label can be cancelled and the shipping company will issue a full credit back to the senders account.

if they refuse to refund u call ur credit card company and tell them u cancelled the order before it ever shipped they will open a dispute on the charge and for a small amount like that they should credit u no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5747 posts
7331 upvotes
I assume "discontinued" means that the company doesn't have the product. What is the purpose of creating a shipping label when the company doesn't even have a product? Even the shipping label costs money, it is their own fault from the operating procedure. Besides, I believe the shipping company only starts to charge when they pick up the package.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1401 posts
971 upvotes
Vancouver
From the times I have printed labels, the shipping company does invoice on label creation. However, if the label is unused, it can be cancelled for a full refund
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4143 posts
2682 upvotes
Vancouver
Just wait for a bit and if you don’t get a full refund, call your CC with proof your order was cancelled. Should be a relatively simple charge back. I’m guessing it’s just poor communications by Danby and I’m guessing they probably cut some workers due to covid thus less people returning calls/emails.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3855 posts
2602 upvotes
Edmonton
KatrinaC wrote: Looking for some advice on this situation that came up yesterday.

I had to order a spare part from Danby Appliances for our broken AC unit, and within minutes of placing the order online, I realized that I had ordered the wrong part. I immediately tried calling the company four times, and sent a message via their website explaining that I actually needed to change the order.

About 1.5 hours later, I get an email back from a customer service rep who said that the part that I wanted had been discontinued, and asked if I wanted to cancel the order. So, I say that yes to cancelling the order -- I do not wish to receive a spare part that I don't need. They inform me that they have put forward a refund request, so I figure that the issue is settled.

But, I receive an email later saying that my order was processed after asking to have the order cancelled. I call the company to ask what is going on, and they said that the refund has been granted (for the $6 part), but that the shipping cost ($12) will still be charged to my credit card. According to them, they already printed a Purolator shipping label, and were already charged for the transaction. So, I asked them to call me back today to explain why they are charging me for shipping for an item that never left their warehouse. I have been met with silence.

Any advice/thoughts on how to best proceed with getting a refund on this phantom shipping cost from Danby????
If the part was discontinued, they intended to charge you shipping regardless, irrespective of the fact that it was the wrong part and that you were going to cancel??

I would call them and speak to a supervisor/manager. The only relevant part to mention is that you were told the part was discontinued so you cancelled on that basis.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6484 posts
1141 upvotes
Don't waste time talking to them any further. After a reasonable period if you don't see a credit do a credit card charge back.