• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2021 10:26 am
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
299 posts
154 upvotes
Ontario

Shipping parcels to US from Canada, and fill in the customs

just sold some antique items to buyers in the states from ebay. I was preparing a shipment through Canada Post online and I didn't know what to fill in the Customs. So I looked it up and found that I can claim it as "gift" since I'm a hobby seller. Furthermore, the threshold was $750, and If an item is sold for more than $750, I can NOT claim it as a gift. Of course, this doesn't apply to professional sellers who ship the items to the U.S. everyday. So far I shipped 3 items this month, and used gift option in the customs. My question is, how many items can I claim it as gift in the customs as a hobby seller? Could somebody give me some information about it? Please let know. Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6441 posts
2111 upvotes
BC
ludwig3 wrote: just sold some antique items to buyers in the states from ebay .......... I looked it up and found that I can claim it as "gift" since I'm a hobby seller ......
Not sure where you "looked it up", but if it was ebay community there is always a lot of misleading information and confusion there.

Most such discussions involving the term hobby seller are to do with the threshold for reporting income from ebay sales to the CRA.
As you are talking about how to fill out the CN22 customs declaration I am thinking your concern is about your U.S. buyers having to pay duty and tax on receiving the items.

BTW, it is a declaration - you are not claiming it is a gift, you are declaring it as such. (The recipient can claim it is a gift.)

As Americans have a much higher duty and tax threshold for receiving international packages in the mail or by courier, why not just put "collectible ornaments" or whatever, and be done with it.
Record the value honestly in case CP or USPS damages or loses the package and you need to put in a claim.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17793 posts
15246 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
macnut wrote: Not sure where you "looked it up", but if it was ebay community there is always a lot of misleading information and confusion there.

Most such discussions involving the term hobby seller are to do with the threshold for reporting income from ebay sales to the CRA.
As you are talking about how to fill out the CN22 customs declaration I am thinking your concern is about your U.S. buyers having to pay duty and tax on receiving the items.

BTW, it is a declaration - you are not claiming it is a gift, you are declaring it as such. (The recipient can claim it is a gift.)

As Americans have a much higher duty and tax threshold for receiving international packages in the mail or by courier, why not just put "collectible ornaments" or whatever, and be done with it.
Record the value honestly in case CP or USPS damages or loses the package and you need to put in a claim.
This

The information wherever you are sourcing it ... IS WRONG

And more than that ... it is against the law / a criminal offence to make a false Customs Declaration

So you really are being dumb here!

The Tax Exemption for Importation into the USA is much higher there than it is here in Canada

Here we pay tax on anything we import valued at more than $ 20 CDN
There ... it’s anything they import over $ 800 US

So no reason to label anything a gift in some slanted attempt to reclassify an item
It’s not necessary at all

As a biz, you are also not doing yourself any favours by lying ... it could cost your both here in Canada as well as your status as a Trusted Exporter to the USA

Or worse yet ... get your name onto the CBP / US Customs - CBSA / Canada Customs NOT TRUSTWORTHY TRAVELLERS LIST

And you don’t want that to happen ... as BOTH countries will hassle you personally anytime you cross the border in either direction ... or a parcel associated with your name does.

You & everything DELAYED by being sent onto Secondary Inspection

When it comes to Customs issues ... DO THE RIGHT THING
ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Nov 15, 2008
307 posts
81 upvotes
Vancouver
Are you anywhere near a Chit Chats or comparable freight service? If so, no need to do any paperwork for customs; record the value and description when purchasing shipping, and they handle the manifest for US customs. Also, most likely much better rates on shipping and quicker service since it's being trucked across the border. I sell online, too, and couldn't imagine using Canada Post for shipping outside Canada's borders.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13600 upvotes
Not only are the above posters correct, this isn't even a gift.
It's merchandise.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.