Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Shipping small packages within Canada (Cheapest provider)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 2:53 am
Tags:
None
Jun 7, 2010
364 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
I signed up for a bunch of the services in this thread. Shipped about a dozen packages so far and did quick quotes on all of them. So far, goorooship has been the cheapest usually by a couple of dollars via ups express saver (all had to go next day or 2 day). So far, no problems with shipping but I didn't notice the first time you had to do an extra step to schedule a pickup. One issue - there was a BS address correction by ups and goorooship won't dispute it for me. The only change was from food court to a specific unit number and ups has delivered to the same address with food court as destination dozens of times. Friggin ups....
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1124 posts
50 upvotes
Anyone know who the cheapest shipper is to
1. within Canada
2. US
3. International

for 2018??
Jul 25, 2008
331 posts
116 upvotes
Niagara Falls
tripleflip wrote: Anyone know who the cheapest shipper is to
1. within Canada
2. US
3. International

for 2018??
Also interested in this.
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
I have a small biz that sends pkgs about the same size and weight as yours and I use Canada Post Expedited Small Pkg. That is the cheapest, best and it's very fast and traceable, you get a tracking #. You need an account to get the discount, which they can set you up with.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
Looking for shipping solutions for non-urgent packages (Can/US).
Oct 27, 2014
30 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to revive the old thread, but any updates in 2018 on whats best?

Here's the info i gathered so far based on my shipment across different shipping companies from best to worst in rates

GoorooShip - Best
Freightcom
netParcel
SecureShip
e-Shipper
First Choice Shipping

Im having issues with rate2ship so im unable to verify their shipping cost right now. Hopefully the new account will work tomorrow. Anyone have more info?
Nov 3, 2008
122 posts
169 upvotes
I'm just setting-up my small business to start some regular small shipments in the coming weeks, and I've been evaluating all the online shippers. I've narrowed it down to eShipper and Freightcom, with Flagship hovering in the wings.

Some people in these forums (and others) have complained that eShipper invoices for more than the quoted price. Can anyone confirm if that's rare, occasional, or often? And if it's occasional or often, what should I expect as a % increase?

Nobody seems to say that about Freightcom. Are they really more accurate in their invoicing?

Bottom line is that having an honoured price is more important to me than a the lowest price.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135814 upvotes
888888 upvotes
what are the rates right now for you guys?

Do your items have to be in a box? Can it be in the bubble pak instead?

how heavy? what kind of items?
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Nov 10, 2014
172 posts
94 upvotes
Windsor, ON
For shipping from Canada to USA, use Chit chat.

For shipping within Canada use Shiptime.

Do NOT use Ship Nerd because they could charge you a higher price after your package arrives at destination.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
truepatriotlove wrote: For shipping from Canada to USA, use Chit chat.

For shipping within Canada use Shiptime.

Do NOT use Ship Nerd because they could charge you a higher price after your package arrives at destination.
Depending on the size of the box, Canada Post can be cheaper than Shiptime and they pick up on time, whereas Canpar and some of the other couriers Shiptime quotes for don't.
Aug 10, 2016
28 posts
14 upvotes
Flagship is just the priceline of shipping. All you're paying them for is affiliate convenience so you don't have to go to every website and enter all your details 10 times.

Canada Post is the cheapest option for all shipping in Canada, and it's not close.
Nov 10, 2014
172 posts
94 upvotes
Windsor, ON
* canada post sucks lots of balls.
Last edited by MrDisco on Nov 5th, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
truepatriotlove wrote: * canada post sucks lots of balls.
No, I just use their service, have done the research and they are the cheapest almost all the time. Their service is awesome, they pick up huge packages at my location for almost nothing on time all the time. LOVE Canada Post. I don't know where I would be without them. *
Last edited by MrDisco on Nov 5th, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Aug 10, 2016
28 posts
14 upvotes
Canada Post indeed sucks, as you so aptly put, many pallets of balls.

But they're still the cheapest.
Dec 8, 2019
3 posts
Is anyone else using ShipNerd and notice their rates went up significantly today?

I've had to go back to Flagship because ShipNerd's rates are no longer competitive. Such a shame.
Dec 13, 2019
5 posts
2 upvotes
timmyfish wrote: Is anyone else using ShipNerd and notice their rates went up significantly today?

I've had to go back to Flagship because ShipNerd's rates are no longer competitive. Such a shame.

Just keep jumping around to whoever is cheapest. Eventually they will all go bankrupt but at least you will have made $$!!

Look, costs go up. Do people only buy YOUR product when you are cheapest? I don’t know ShipNerd but the only reason to raise rates is to remain profitable.

Cheap
Fast
Good

Pick 2, no one can provide all 3 sustainably.

Stop this race to the bottom and find a partner that supports your sales.

Asking who is the cheapest is the WRONG question!
Dec 3, 2007
8 posts
8 upvotes
Barrie
drjohnnyfever wrote: ...
Some people in these forums (and others) have complained that eShipper invoices for more than the quoted price. Can anyone confirm if that's rare, occasional, or often? And if it's occasional or often, what should I expect as a % increase?

Nobody seems to say that about Freightcom. Are they really more accurate in their invoicing?
I have been using Freightcom for some years now (over 5) and as far as overcharging, I think that depends on the carrier. UPS is particularly bad that way (and was before I started with Freightcom and used my own UPS account) and for that and other reasons I regard them as little better than crooks. Hence I almost never use them. I think I measure pretty accurately, and the other carriers seem to agree. (Sure, sometimes I make a mistake and get extra charges, but often I can see what I shipped and the dimensions I recorded and it is justified. What I shipped couldn't have fit in the box I specified. Oops! Of course if you make a mistake in their favour you don't get a credit.)

I also use Canada Post a lot. They are usually the cheapest but never the fastest. Most of my customers would rather save a few dollars than save a few days. Sometimes depending on what you are shipping couriers are faster and cheaper. For example a recent shipment, I forget to where, was a day faster and half the price of Canada Post with a courier, probably Canpar. I can ship to Red Deer Alberta (I am in Ontario) by Canada Post in 5 days and 1 day with Purolator, and that costs less than a dollar more. My retailer will certainly go for that.

Because I would like to compare with Canada Post I wish Freightcom would include them in their list. I also like Canada Post as they will refund if it is late. Most of the shipments booked with Freightcom do not include that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)