• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2020 12:59 am
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes

Shipping tires from the US to Canada during COVID-19

Hi guys,
I hope you all doing well in this hard time.
Recently, I found stealing deals from US dealership that they have two sets of nearly new performance tires, just got off from sold demo vehicles. They are sold for 1600 USD/2 sets, which is about 2100 CAD. As a comparison, brand new tires here in Toronto are 4600/2 sets. The price difference is huge.
However, as the COVID-19 spreads, US-Canada border will remain closed, possibly until next year per CBC news. As a result of this I am unable to drive across the Rainbow bridge to pick them up.
Is there any freight transport service you recommend that has warehouse in Buffalo, which can receive my tire delivery and then transport them across the border? I am willing to pay duties/taxes as well as reasonable freight transportation fees, but most of companies I inquiried only transport commercial goods.

Thanks for any advice!
5 replies
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
They are used tires and one of the two sets is made in USA, so there is no duty for that set plus value could be marked down since they are used. I am not worried about custom charges, but a reliable company that can transport them.
Nov 1, 2015
616 posts
299 upvotes
BC
I feel like you would still get destroyed by the shipping charges and duty.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
Hi guys, a quick feedback:
This company charges USD30 each for the tires, arrive in two days, no duty was charged but 13% taxes applied. It ends up with a final cost of 2700CAD for 8 tires with tread 9.5-10/32, I have to collect tires from their warehouse in Mississauga. The retail price for those 8 tires in brand new condition (11/32) is 4600+tax in Canadian tire. Huge saving.
But if there is no pandemic, it will also need minimum 2 SUVs to transport tires, which the cost is almost same with the transportation fee if cars are rented. There might or might not be taxes at custom.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)