None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8275 posts
1834 upvotes
Toronto

Shipping from the US to Canada options

I am looking to buy about $1000 in items from an online store in the US, and have the items shipped to my address in Canada. The problem is this US store will only ship internationally with FedEx. I am well aware of the huge brokerage fees that FedEx would charge and I would like to avoid using FedEx entirely. I've read that I can self-clear the package but it seems like such a huge hassle... having to go to one location to pick up the forms, then go to customs to submit the forms, then finally go to the UPS warehouse to personally pick up the item that I supposedly paid to have shipped to my address.

I don't want to drive across the border to pick up the items either.

Can anyone suggest another way to have the items across the border? Are there any third party options that will receive the package inside the US, and then resend with USPS?
5 replies
Dec 5, 2006
58 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
Are you talking air or ground shipping here? It's usually ground that doesn't include brokerage; air typically does, and that includes both FedEx and UPS (however, you will still be responsible for taxes, disbursement fees and so forth).

In addition to self-clearing, you can have a third party customs broker clear your parcels too, however they do of course charge by the line, and I'm honestly not sure how one goes about setting that up with FedEx. Whenever I put a company name on UPS shipments, they phone me to give me the option to use another brokerage firm.

There are also various freight forwarders, but I don't see that their services are going to be any cheaper than what you'd pay for brokerage through the normal routes (which looks to be $60 for $1000-1600 according to their guide).
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14023 posts
8124 upvotes
Toronto
avoid Ground and there are no additional fees.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8275 posts
1834 upvotes
Toronto
Well the options are:

International Shipping
Economy $22.24
Express $34.27

Is it safe to assume Express is air?
Dec 5, 2006
58 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
Both of those are air. Economy is 2-3 days, Express next day. Ground is described as FedEx Ground, and 7-10 days. I'm assuming this is a very small item at those prices!

You'll need to pay tax, disbursement (a percentage of value), and probably some other minor fees, but no actual brokerage charge.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8275 posts
1834 upvotes
Toronto
Sunfox wrote: Both of those are air. Economy is 2-3 days, Express next day. Ground is described as FedEx Ground, and 7-10 days. I'm assuming this is a very small item at those prices!

You'll need to pay tax, disbursement (a percentage of value), and probably some other minor fees, but no actual brokerage charge.
The items shipped are watches... so yes the package will be small. It's good to know that there is no brokerage for air... I should be safe to order then.