401 posts
255 upvotes

Shop in the US and pick up in the GTA for $6.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Shippsy
Cross border shopping made simple.
Get your own free U.S. address, shop online from any retailer, and pick up in the GTA.

Pickup locations in Mississauga and Markham

Looks like an awesome service - Under CUSMA (the new NAFTA), no duties under $150 CDN.
$6.99 flat fee shipping, plus 3% service charge (under 50lbs)

http://shippsy.com
Share:
64 replies
Sep 7, 2002
984 posts
463 upvotes
Don't think this should be in hot deals since it's not a deal. It should probably be put into shopping discussions. That said, my brother did do a purchase and have Shippsy bring it over and it went smoothly.
Sep 20, 2017
369 posts
180 upvotes
Markham
It's great service but limited to GTA. Rfd is Canada wide
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5482 posts
1751 upvotes
Toronto
TracyWater wrote: It's great service but limited to GTA. Rfd is Canada wide
what do u mean, GTA is Canada wide
Jul 5, 2012
512 posts
39 upvotes
Mississauga
Per item CAD 6.99?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3224 posts
949 upvotes
Toronto
You can have them ship to you once they bring it over. Scroll to bottom.

https://shippsy.com/pricing/

Very similar to cross-border pickups (their locations are also Markham and Mississauga lol). Shippsy looks to be a bit cheaper for larger packages. I've never used either personally but I do plan to in the next week for an order.

https://www.crossborderpickups.ca/rates/
Sep 20, 2017
369 posts
180 upvotes
Markham
TheGoodDealer wrote: You can have them ship to you once they bring it over. Scroll to bottom.

https://shippsy.com/pricing/

Very similar to cross-border pickups (their locations are also Markham and Mississauga lol). Shippsy looks to be a bit cheaper for larger packages. I've never used either personally but I do plan to in the next week for an order.

https://www.crossborderpickups.ca/rates/

I'm going to do this Friday.
Dec 20, 2018
248 posts
414 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: what do u mean, GTA is Canada wide
It must be pretty annoying for those outside Toronto, GTA, and Ontario. If I know what the RoC (rest of Canada) likes it's not living in the aforementioned place. Thus, Toronto in its uniting of the country is indispensably important.
Sep 20, 2017
369 posts
180 upvotes
Markham
Yes we're the center of Canada. Justin trudeau should consider move his office to Toronto.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1767 posts
9627 upvotes
anthony9 wrote: It must be pretty annoying for those outside Toronto, GTA, and Ontario. If I know what the RoC (rest of Canada) likes it's not living in the aforementioned place. Thus, Toronto in its uniting of the country is indispensably important.
Time to pull out this OC...

May 18, 2007
755 posts
1232 upvotes
Toronto
The $7 fee isn't the killer, it's the 13% tax plus duty that's the killer. It would have to be a pretty amazing BF deal after factoring exchange and tax and duty!

When I picked up stuff from my Buffalo mailbox I rarely ever got sent to inspection to pay up.
Jul 6, 2010
587 posts
1043 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty quick service. My latest package was ready for pickup in the GTA 3 business days after it was delivered to the US address.

But just a warning - I believe they open every package they receive, take pictures and send those to you so you can provide information about the contents. And they weren't very gentle with the box I just received! Previous packages were fine, though.

i am upside down
Feb 25, 2018
296 posts
221 upvotes
Let's buy and support local shops, at least for now...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1563 posts
1861 upvotes
GTA
So I guess for buying anything in Canada, it would have to be a pretty amazing BF deal after factoring tax. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

It is pretty rare to see duty anymore.

I used to be about 50% on being waved through vs paying tax when declaring my purchases. Though once you factor the time to drive to Niagara Falls, the savings have to rather substantial.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3224 posts
949 upvotes
Toronto
canada_dry wrote: The $7 fee isn't the killer, it's the 13% tax plus duty that's the killer. It would have to be a pretty amazing BF deal after factoring exchange and tax and duty!

When I picked up stuff from my Buffalo mailbox I rarely ever got sent to inspection to pay up.
Duty is not always applicable, depends on the value of the order. For example, a 100 CAD order for an electronic item would only cost you $13 HST in Ontario.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... l-eng.html

There are also lots of things you can't buy in Canada, where cost might not be a factor and it's just providing access to purchase.
Feb 24, 2009
57 posts
12 upvotes
If you read in their "How it works" section, for an additional shipping charge, they can ship your package to another canadian address.

It can be considered a hot deals, in the spirit that it opens up the US black fridays deals to us canadians. However the good deals will only work if they offset the additional shipping fees.

Thank OP, I wasn't aware this service existed.
Feb 25, 2018
296 posts
221 upvotes
umopapisdnwei wrote: Pretty quick service. My latest package was ready for pickup in the GTA 3 business days after it was delivered to the US address.

But just a warning - I believe they open every package they receive, take pictures and send those to you so you can provide information about the contents. And they weren't very gentle with the box I just received! Previous packages were fine, though.

Maybe because that's the top or bottom of the box and its pretty clear it has no open seams so someone would have to forcibly tear it open.

If the person would just open the box from the sides as it seems thats where the opening flaps are, it wouldn't make it look as if a bear had tried to claw its way into the package for its contents.
Feb 25, 2018
296 posts
221 upvotes
goldfingerz wrote: If you read in their "How it works" section, for an additional shipping charge, they can ship your package to another canadian address.

It can be considered a hot deals, in the spirit that it opens up the US black fridays deals to us canadians. However the good deals will only work if they offset the additional shipping fees.

Thank OP, I wasn't aware this service existed.
The exchange rate would kill any deals, imo
Oct 5, 2006
97 posts
12 upvotes
canada_dry wrote: The $7 fee isn't the killer, it's the 13% tax plus duty that's the killer. It would have to be a pretty amazing BF deal after factoring exchange and tax and duty!

Let me know how that works out for you now..... Oh wait there's this thing going on preventing border crossing called "Covid".

I have used Shippsy, it's great, if anyone knows of someone that will drive to Buffalo and back and fill out all my broker papers for $6.99 let me know.

Remember you pay tax on the US value converted to Canadian,which if your using this service your either buying something that doesn't ship here, shipping is expensive, or its way cheaper in the USA to buy it. Which means you get taxed on a lesser amount vs buying here.

Plus lots of free shipping in the USA vs Canada and way more things don't have duty that you would think.

Lastly, this service is not for everyone but right now under the circumstances I don't see a better solution, heck even if you could cross the border,it's great when you don't want to drive across or make the trip.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2221 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA

Fathamsta wrote: The exchange rate would kill any deals, imo
Not only those points. Shippsy also uses a "credit" system - of which the minimum deposit for credit is $10; which means if your order total is $51 for example, you will pay $60, leaving you a credit of $9 for future usage. If you are frequent user, then it is not a problem. If you are an occasional user, you might want to take a second thought or use other services that suit your needs best.
¸

- - - - -
;)